bsimon7074
What's New?

New Smoker

Lizard King

Lizard King

Administrator
Staff Member
Sep 9, 2010
Just got a 40" propane smoker, still need to put it together but I am off tomorrow and want to play around with it.

Never had a smoker before, any suggestions on what type of meat to start with for a beginner? Insert bad meat jokes after actual suggestions please :)

Ogre717

Ogre717

TID Official Lab Rat
Jul 22, 2011
I've had an Oklahoma Joe charcoal smoker for a few years. Charcoal/ wood just turn out a much better meat. I've seen some gas/wood pellet styles do well too but it is just too automated. Takes the grilling experience out of it.

Lizard King

Lizard King

Administrator
Staff Member
Sep 9, 2010
So you haven't used one, this is just your opinion and I can disregard, correct ;)

BovaJP

BovaJP

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Feb 15, 2013
Try out some chicken thighs first.
We have a large smoker, don't judge it is electric. But we used to have a charcoal one, we out grew it and we like to cook a lot. We have done a lot of things in our smoker....meaning cooked some foods.
We make a white chicken smoked chili....smoke chicken thighs on top rack, with a pan underneath that rack with the beans...keep the liquid in them. This way the thighs drip down into the beans...yum!

Or try some salmon...yum. That is my fav.

You can even do a turkey meatloaf too.

We have not got the briskets down yet......that has yet to be mastered lol.

Or you can just get a turkey breast and do that. Be sure it is thawed. You got time to throw it in a brine before tomorrow.

Lizard King

Lizard King

Administrator
Staff Member
Sep 9, 2010
I don't judge, I was looking at electric also, only @Ogre717 is a smoker snob. I gotta read up on cooking times and temps and all that good stuff.

Ogre717

Ogre717

TID Official Lab Rat
Jul 22, 2011
So you haven't used one, this is just your opinion and I can disregard, correct ;)
I have used them in the past just prefer charcoal/ wood fires. Make sure you have a couple good thermometers to monitor heat in the different areas inside the grill. Shoulders or a tri-tip are a good chunk of meat to practice on before the brisket.

kid666

kid666

VIP Member
Jan 28, 2011
When i saw new smoker,I thought you were gonna say you started smoking Marlboros.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic