Members
Latest Member
Rolanalon

Need to Bring my Bench up

Ramrod

Ramrod

MuscleHead
Jun 5, 2012
My Squats and Deadlifts and steadily improving. I'm closing in on a 550 Squat and Deadlifts. I have Hit 520 on both lifts without to much trouble. My Bench seemed pretty good when I first started PL'ing, but is such a slow progression. Best Bench I've gotten in a Meet was 320. Couple of weeks ago I got a smooth T&G 340.

I would liked to get it to 350 paused. If I can pull that off. I know I can get my other lifts up enough to be getting with in an Elite total.

The only Bench Program I have done is www.benchprogram.com. (Besides 531 and Cube programing) I do ok the program, but I have to think there is a better program.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
It's probably not the program. I went thru a few of your bench vids

1. You are unstable laterally
2. Your bar moves slowly even on lighter weights like 225 plus
3. You are loose from the waist down
4. You have very little leg drive

I would suggest changing a couple things.

1. Start benching with your feet flat. With your heels in contact with the floor push out with the knees and squeeze your ass.
2. Narrow your grip a finger or two
3. Ass tight the whole time.
4. Push your toes thru the front of your shoes to shift your weight onto your traps.

As far as assistance exercises go, stop using board/block pressing. Your lockout isn't an issue. It's getting the bar off the chest in a hurry. Use a buffalo bar instead.

myosaurus

myosaurus

TID Board Of Directors
Sep 21, 2010
Not to hijack the thread but that program looks solid. How would one structure rest of the lifts for the rest of the week?

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Not to hijack the thread but that program looks solid. How would one structure rest of the lifts for the rest of the week?

You could potentially use that exact template for all 3 lifts. It would wear on you after a few weeks of it though.

If I was to use that I would do something like this

Day 1
Squat light
Bench heavy

Day 2
Bench light
Deadlift light

Day 3
Squat heavy
Deadlift light

Basically there would be no heavy deadlift.

Some caveats though - working competition lifts like this in something of a linear fashion for 12 weeks is just not smart. So many singles over 90% will quickly take its toll on your joints. I can't think of a single coach besides Abadjiev who would do this for such an extended period.

Metal Militia used to train in pretty similar fashion though. But not all 3 lifts.

If you want longevity this isn't a great way to go.

Ramrod

Ramrod

MuscleHead
Jun 5, 2012
It's probably not the program. I went thru a few of your bench vids

1. You are unstable laterally
2. Your bar moves slowly even on lighter weights like 225 plus
3. You are loose from the waist down
4. You have very little leg drive

I would suggest changing a couple things.

1. Start benching with your feet flat. With your heels in contact with the floor push out with the knees and squeeze your ass.
2. Narrow your grip a finger or two
3. Ass tight the whole time.
4. Push your toes thru the front of your shoes to shift your weight onto your traps.

As far as assistance exercises go, stop using board/block pressing. Your lockout isn't an issue. It's getting the bar off the chest in a hurry. Use a buffalo bar instead.

Ok I'll print this out and tape it to my log book.

Thanks again POB, Always there for us.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic