Latest Member
RalfKelleh
What's New?

Need tips on growing biceps

Swiper

Swiper

VIP Member
Jan 8, 2011
this may seem counterproductive but sometimes less is better. depending on how often you train your biceps you may want to try training them every 7 to 8 days. give them more rest and you might see some more gains.

BackAtIt

BackAtIt

MuscleHead
Oct 3, 2016
If I wasn't getting results in an particular muscle group, I would isolate that muscle and work it to failure...It would grow like an weed!...

However, one needs to be careful with this approach....Damage to muscle can increase as well as to ligs, tend, and joints...Don't forget proper nutrition and rest if applied....

Jin

Jin

MuscleHead
Jun 15, 2018
I’ve always felt small muscle groups can/should be trained more frequently because they recover faster.

Biceps
Triceps
Delts

Some of the posts in this thread seem to contradict that theory.

Conversely the biggest muscle group, legs, always takes the longest to recover IME.

Thoughts?

DungeonDweller

DungeonDweller

VIP Member
Mar 21, 2017
I side with Jin on this, but not that they recover faster but instead they don't get as much volume of work. I also like to really squeeze my bicep at the top for an instant, just so I can feel it working.

JackD

JackD

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Sep 16, 2010
Besides the 21’s, another option is to hit 3 different bicep Exercises x 7 reps each with back, then hit arms again later in the week with 3 different exercises for each muscle group. I always say slow and steady for range of motion. You want to recruit as many muscle fibers during the exercise as you can. So for example if you are doing 21’s, count 2 seconds on the way up, and 2 on the way down.

1bigun11

1bigun11

MuscleHead
Oct 23, 2010
Training is important, but I think the real key to being truly massive in general or in any-body-part is to eat. Eat a lot, frequently. Unless you are a fat fuck and need to diet first, if you are training for mass then you need to eat more food, more often than you are comfortable with. If you are of normal height you will not have massive arms, or massive anything else, regardless of perfect training, if you weigh 145lbs (65 kg). Eat, lift, eat, sleep, eat, rest, eat, eat.

Bigtex

Bigtex

VIP Member
Aug 14, 2012
I’ve always felt small muscle groups can/should be trained more frequently because they recover faster.

Biceps
Triceps
Delts

Some of the posts in this thread seem to contradict that theory.

Conversely the biggest muscle group, legs, always takes the longest to recover IME.

Thoughts?

I had a conversation with the late Dr. Fred Hatfield about this a while back. He was telling me how some of the Soviet Block countries trained everything 3 times a week and worked out 3 times a day. I thought this was a lot but he says the body will adapt as long as you get enough food and rest to recover. For most of us, there lies the problem....we have to also work

They way I see it, if you do an arm day, you also work out triceps on chest day and biceps on back day. If you have a separate shoulder day, they also get trained with the chest. So in essence most of us are working the small muscles 2 x a week. Can you do more? Well we have to go back to having enough calories and rest. Another possibility is a heavy/light day.

Tomas Payne

Tomas Payne

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2014
Without getting too technical and wordy, just two words - FULL EXTENTION.

midevil

midevil

TID Board Of Directors
Jan 20, 2011
Hi guys, I'm new to the gym and training and I need an advice on how to grow my biceps. Is it better that I do low reps and high weights or moderate weights and do high reps and sets.
For example, I'm really weak and I can only curl 13kg around 2-3 times for 4 sets before going to failure. I then lift the highest dumbbells I can lift after failure such as 8kg and try to do 7 reps of 5 sets of hammer curls and then I do concentration curls. Is that good for growth or should I lift like 10kg and do 12 reps and 3 sets and then keep the same weight and do the same exercises with 10kg and also have more energy to do more exercises so more volume.

thanks, please let me know if I sound confusing I will rephrase that I wrote.
I had issues getting full development in my bi's as well. Then I started doing lots of pull ups. They work well.

OldManStrength

OldManStrength

VIP Member
Apr 8, 2015
I’ve never worked them directly, the are small, get worked as secondary supporting muscles. Maybe every few weeks, I’ll hit camber bar or dumbbell curls, heavy weight about 8 reps to failure at the end of back day....

creekrat

creekrat

MuscleHead
Sep 9, 2012
I had issues getting full development in my bi's as well. Then I started doing lots of pull ups. They work well.

Some preexhaustion with pullups for warm up is great. I definitely feel it. Unfortunately the ceiling is way too low at work for me to do them so only at the gym when I'm home

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic