Latest Member
pbtom
What's New?

Need some calculating help please

Tuffoldman

Tuffoldman

VIP Member
May 23, 2011
I have a 10 mg bottle of oxytocin. I am trying to make a nasal spray with 20 mcg use per spray.

Need help calculating how much baciostatic water to add and then where to fill on the syringe sprayer for dosing.

FlyingDragon

FlyingDragon

VIP Member
Nov 4, 2010
10mg = 10,000 mcg
500ml of water to get 20mcg per ML, thats if the sprayer sprays out 1ml

Tuffoldman

Tuffoldman

VIP Member
May 23, 2011
I must have the dose incorrect that would be tough to mix 500ml's of water.

Looked it up again and this is, I think, correct now. It should be 20iu per spray the bottle is 10mg.

I am basing the amounts on what I have read in multiple med journals. So I am trying to get to the higher end of the below amount 20iu per spray.

Common dosage forms requested include the following:
  • Oxytocin 8IU, 16IU Intranasal Spray

FlyingDragon

FlyingDragon

VIP Member
Nov 4, 2010
I am lost...LOL

Is this a prescription? If so ask the doctor who prescribed it for assistance or provide more detail on here

Tuffoldman

Tuffoldman

VIP Member
May 23, 2011
Sorry for the confusion because I guess I'm a bit slow on this also. Normally peptides don't shake me like this but I've never done a nasal spray before.

Oxytocin is showing promise for people with anxiety. So what I'm trying to do is create a nasal spray to use each day to see how it affects my mood.

Yes yes I'm one of those damn self medicated do it you're selfers... Oh wait we all are :).

Anyway so I have the vial of oxytocin and it's 10 mg. From what I'm reading I need to be using 20 IU per spray, doing that twice per day.

I guess I'm trying to figure out how to convert the 10 mg adding x amount of water and be able to draw to what Mark to get 20 IU's.

Unless I'm way off track on what I'm reading that's what I'm getting out of all the articles I've read. But maybe I'm getting confused when IU and milligram

HDH

HDH

TID Board Of Directors
Sep 30, 2011
I haven't messed around with peps much but this may help. The best I can do is give a gh example.

A standard 100iu kit is 10 vials, each vial is 3.33mg which = 10iu per vial.

3 vials = 10mg

10mg = 30iu

That's only a spray and a half if it's correct.

Last edited:
Tuffoldman

Tuffoldman

VIP Member
May 23, 2011
I haven't messed around with peps much but this may help. The best I can do is give a gh example.

A standard 100iu kit is 10 vials, each vial is 3.33mg which = 10iu per vial.

3 vials = 10mg

10mg = 30iu

That's only a spray and a half if it's correct.
Thank you for the reply. That's kind of what I came up with so I thought there's no way it's going to cost me that much money every single day. There's no way that I would have to reconstitute 10 mg of oxytocin every single day. Maybe I'm just completely reading the paperwork incorrectly. This part is so baffling I ordered it after doing lots of reading and thought I had it figured out and then as soon as the bottle got here yesterday I can't wrap my head around the calculations anymore but I just don't see how that is possible I could see 10 mg a week but every day seems a bit excessive.

Well crap I guess I'm back to the drawing board.

Tuffoldman

Tuffoldman

VIP Member
May 23, 2011
Okay I figured out the amount of IU per 10 mg. Oxytocin is 6,000 IU per 10 mg.

So if I want to make a nasal spray at 30 IU per spray. Calculations are correct that leaves 200 doses. So if I add two mil of baciostatic water I would pull up on a slim pin at one and a half ticks and that would be 30? Does that sound correct. I think dosing would be more even if I mix 20 mils of water and pull to a 15??

Am I losing my mind or is that correct?

Thanks

P

prime

TID Board Of Directors
Dec 31, 2011
Okay I figured out the amount of IU per 10 mg. Oxytocin is 6,000 IU per 10 mg.

So if I want to make a nasal spray at 30 IU per spray. Calculations are correct that leaves 200 doses. So if I add two mil of baciostatic water I would pull up on a slim pin at one and a half ticks and that would be 30? Does that sound correct. I think dosing would be more even if I mix 20 mils of water and pull to a 15??

Am I losing my mind or is that correct?

Thanks

6000 divided by 200 ticks is 30iu. So if you mix 2ml(200tics) then each tick would be 30iu.

3ml(300ticks) would give you 20iu in 1 tick.

I'm not sure you would want to be dealing with 1 tick doses.

What is the original volume of the Oxytocin?

W

Wilson6

VIP Member
Dec 17, 2019
I have a 10 mg bottle of oxytocin. I am trying to make a nasal spray with 20 mcg use per spray.

Need help calculating how much baciostatic water to add and then where to fill on the syringe sprayer for dosing.
10 mg = 10,000 mcg or 1.67 mcg/IU (10,000 mcg/6000 IU). The most important question is, how much volume (ml) does one spray deliver? Once you know that, you can make a concentration that will deliver exactly what you want per dose.

For example https://www.amazon.com/Pharma-quality-EMPTY-Nasal-Sprayers-3-pack/dp/B00H0LBEGQ these are 20 ml and deliver approx 0.1 ml per spray. Note "approx".

If you want one 0.1 ml spray to deliver approx 16 IU or 26.72 mcg, then dilute the 10 mg with 37.4 ml of water. That will give you a concentration of 267.4 mcg/ml or 160 IU/ml or 16 IU/0.1 ml.

Make sure it is just bacteriostatic water and not saline or it can precipitate out the peptide and you'll be pissed.

Someone else check my math, MikeRN?

Tuffoldman

Tuffoldman

VIP Member
May 23, 2011
The nasal spray I'm trying to make should be 30 to 40 IU per nostril twice per day.

I would rather use more volume of water in the nasal spray then less so the spray goes deeper into my nasal cavity.

I normally use back your static water for reconstitution but I bought a 20 mil bottle of Benzyl Alcohol 0.9% and just mix the 6000 IU into the 20 mil bottle but now I guess I F'd that up really bad??

Calculations usually don't throw me off like this but for some reason I cannot wrap my head around getting 30 IU per spray.

I've been doing a ton of reading and the best information I can find for anxiety is saying 30 to 40 IU in each nostril twice per day.

I really appreciate y'all's help. If I need to start over with backyrostatic water I will do that. The back your static water I buy just like everybody else comes in a 30 ml bottle using that amount of water and I put 6,000 IU of oxytocin how much would I draw to get 30 IU per spray?? I hope that makes sense just trying to narrow down my verbiage to make a little more sense. Thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you

W

Wilson6

VIP Member
Dec 17, 2019
The nasal spray I'm trying to make should be 30 to 40 IU per nostril twice per day.

I would rather use more volume of water in the nasal spray then less so the spray goes deeper into my nasal cavity.

I normally use back your static water for reconstitution but I bought a 20 mil bottle of Benzyl Alcohol 0.9% and just mix the 6000 IU into the 20 mil bottle but now I guess I F'd that up really bad??

Calculations usually don't throw me off like this but for some reason I cannot wrap my head around getting 30 IU per spray.

I've been doing a ton of reading and the best information I can find for anxiety is saying 30 to 40 IU in each nostril twice per day.

I really appreciate y'all's help. If I need to start over with backyrostatic water I will do that. The back your static water I buy just like everybody else comes in a 30 ml bottle using that amount of water and I put 6,000 IU of oxytocin how much would I draw to get 30 IU per spray?? I hope that makes sense just trying to narrow down my verbiage to make a little more sense. Thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you

The bacteriostatic water with 0.9% BA is fine if the BA is the only other added ingredient along with sterile water. If it contains saline (sodium chloride or salt) then that could cause the peptide to precipitate out. If the solution is still clear, you're good.

If you mixed 6000 IU into 20 ml then each ml = 300 IU or one spray (0.1 ml = 30 IU) from the bottles I mentioned above. So if you want 30 IU in each nostril twice a day, that would be one spray each nostril, twice a day. With the spray bottles, it will be hard to be exact. The most important thing to know is how much one spray delivers (ml) because unless you know that, you can't determine how to mix the peptide (concentration).

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic