Need Some Advice

Turbolag

Turbolag

TID's Official Donut Tester
Oct 14, 2012
So here goes
july 3rd 2013 I had back surgery.

It is now been about 6 months post op.

I would like to begin dead lifting again.

I emailed the nurse at the dr office and she asked the dr if it was ok for me to start back up.

His words were "I would not do that again ....ever"

I'm not ready to give up dead lifting. Its my favorite lift. I have numbers I want to reach.

But at the same time, I don't want to re injure my back. The nurse said there is a 10% chance of re hurting yourself.

I was told having a weak nucleus in the disk in your back is genetic. I would like to know how to strengthen the nucleus. I was told vitamin C does this, so I went and picked up some vitamin C.

My plan is to change to close stance sumo, and slowly work my way back up.

I did 135 for reps last week and it felt great. It was conventional though, not sumo.

The next session, I want to work up to 185. And maybe 225 rack pulls.

Before I do any compound lift now, I try my best to get tight, and I wear a belt.

What should I do ?? I don't want to leave squatting and dead lifting.

HisAngriness

HisAngriness

Fancypants VIP
Mar 23, 2011
dont be a ****ing idiot turbo. there's worse things in life than not being able to deadlift or squat...like not being able to walk!
its your life and your body so do what you want but keep in mind, you wont be doing much squatting or deads from a wheelchair

RAIDEN

RAIDEN

VIP Member
Feb 22, 2012
You got to swallow your pride dude, like HA said, there are worse things in life. Imagine you cant walk again or really fukk yourself up squatting or dead lifting again. If the doctor said not to, I would listen to him. I know its something you love and are passionate about, but it ain't worth it bud.

GiantSlayer

GiantSlayer

VIP Member
Jan 27, 2013
No doctor is going to tell you to start deadlifting, Turbo. If you are waiting for the Doc's approval it's just not going to happen. I would never tell you to do something that would hurt you. However, here is a quote from Vincent Van Gogh. "I would rather die of passion than of boredom."

How much does it mean to you?

monsoon

monsoon

Senior Bacon VIP
Nov 1, 2010
Most drs don't even know what a dead lift is. I've had drs tell me I couldn't lift anything over head, walk, run, work, etc. all that being said, you do have to be extremely careful. I remember reading an article by someone maybe Dave Tate?, about building back up literally 5 lbs at a time. I mean pulling an empty bar, then +5,+5 etc. from the rack and moving the pins one slot lower until he could pull from the floor.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Most drs don't even know what a dead lift is. I've had drs tell me I couldn't lift anything over head, walk, run, work, etc. all that being said, you do have to be extremely careful. I remember reading an article by someone maybe Dave Tate?, about building back up literally 5 lbs at a time. I mean pulling an empty bar, then +5,+5 etc. from the rack and moving the pins one slot lower until he could pull from the floor.

He just came back from a full hip replacement and is squatting months later.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
No doctor is going to tell you to start deadlifting, Turbo. If you are waiting for the Doc's approval it's just not going to happen. I would never tell you to do something that would hurt you. However, here is a quote from Vincent Van Gogh. "I would rather die of passion than of boredom."

How much does it mean to you?

Doctors tell healthy people not to deadlift. I think there is a class in med school where they are taught to tell all patients that weights are bad.

DLTH

DLTH

VIP Member
Oct 30, 2011
I'd listen to your doctor, if you don't want to then get a second opinion.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Be smart.

If your dead set on pulling than I suggest you pull sumo and start pulling off low and med blocks. That will cut some of the ROM and take stress off the back.

Turbolag

Turbolag

TID's Official Donut Tester
Oct 14, 2012
Thanks everyone for the replies.

I have decided I'm not going to squat or dead lift anymore. Or at least anytime soon. I just am gonna focus on bench only.

I just don't want to risk reinjury.

porky little keg

porky little keg

MuscleHead
May 21, 2011
I've seen more than a few guys come back from ridiculous injuries and surgeries and still have a great lifting career..... the important thing is to be smart and be educated.

Find a doctor that deals with athletes.

Stay as light as you have to for as long as you need to heal up. If that means a year of doing reps with <225, then okay.

Nobody on here is an ortho ( that I know of) and most likely nobody on here has seen your xrays or knows exactly what was done. Find a doc who lifts or deals with guys who do.
I have no doubt that you can come back, the question is just when and how hard. Only a good doc can tell you that.

monsoon

monsoon

Senior Bacon VIP
Nov 1, 2010
I agree, maybe just do 135 now and then to keep your groove or even better

tRAPBAR!!!

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic