Members
Latest Member
Kiddorism

Need a shoulder warm up for low bar squats

chicken_hawk

chicken_hawk

MuscleHead
Oct 28, 2010
If you can't keep your hands on the wall with your butt against the wall, then scoot your butt away from the wall to make it easier to begin with.
Thanks man, that will help. I feel like a 8 year old doing these otherwise.

Gracious,
Hawk

porky little keg

porky little keg

MuscleHead
May 21, 2011
2.5 things....
1st.... we warm up the shoulders the same for squats as we do for bench. Have someone use a wrap to bowtie your shoulders ( see Donnie Thompson's video on how to do this) and/or use a big band choked off on a squat rack to pull the scapulae back while you work your shoulder open ( again, Donnie has a video on this)

2nd.... a lot of shoulder/elbow issues come from supporting the bar with your arms because it doesn't have a good purchase on your back. Learn how to get your shoulders pulled back as tight as possible ( like how you retract the scapulae to set up for a bench) so the bar is being supported by your rear delts instead of being held in place on your back with your hands.

2.5th .... not an answer to your question but it'll help..... If you absolutely have to low bar squat get a SSB and a Duffalo bar so you have options to use that won't tear up your shoulders every week. Rotate them every week. Or, work on finding a high(er) bar position that works for you..... I've always been a high bar squatter, but I spent a good 6 months working low bar because I like how it shortened my leverages at the torso. The downside was my bench going to crap because my traps are so big that the bar wouldn't bite on my rear delts so all the strain went to my elbows and shoulders..... when Chuck Vogelpohl came out to train and told me that I should just go back to high bar I gave up on it. Even he switched to high bar for the same reason.

chicken_hawk

chicken_hawk

MuscleHead
Oct 28, 2010
2.5 things....
1st.... we warm up the shoulders the same for squats as we do for bench. Have someone use a wrap to bowtie your shoulders ( see Donnie Thompson's video on how to do this) and/or use a big band choked off on a squat rack to pull the scapulae back while you work your shoulder open ( again, Donnie has a video on this)

2nd.... a lot of shoulder/elbow issues come from supporting the bar with your arms because it doesn't have a good purchase on your back. Learn how to get your shoulders pulled back as tight as possible ( like how you retract the scapulae to set up for a bench) so the bar is being supported by your rear delts instead of being held in place on your back with your hands.

2.5th .... not an answer to your question but it'll help..... If you absolutely have to low bar squat get a SSB and a Duffalo bar so you have options to use that won't tear up your shoulders every week. Rotate them every week. Or, work on finding a high(er) bar position that works for you..... I've always been a high bar squatter, but I spent a good 6 months working low bar because I like how it shortened my leverages at the torso. The downside was my bench going to crap because my traps are so big that the bar wouldn't bite on my rear delts so all the strain went to my elbows and shoulders..... when Chuck Vogelpohl came out to train and told me that I should just go back to high bar I gave up on it. Even he switched to high bar for the same reason.

Man, I sure do appreciate you chiming in as I was the only sap I knew with this issue, but then again I lift alone. I hardly have your thickness but 5'11 and 285 combined with other issues makes low bar too damn painful. I did some high bar today and it was still a bit tight as it was not a true high bar...somewhere in between. Nonetheless it was still so much better and my bench won't suffer.

I do think its gonna be some to get my high bar to what my low bar was, but at least I will be squatting and benching without pain.

I still need to check out the vids as my issues aren't gonna go away by ignoring then so I need some practical solutions.

Thanks again,
Hawk

porky little keg

porky little keg

MuscleHead
May 21, 2011
Man, I sure do appreciate you chiming in as I was the only sap I knew with this issue, but then again I lift alone. I hardly have your thickness but 5'11 and 285 combined with other issues makes low bar too damn painful. I did some high bar today and it was still a bit tight as it was not a true high bar...somewhere in between. Nonetheless it was still so much better and my bench won't suffer.

I do think its gonna be some to get my high bar to what my low bar was, but at least I will be squatting and benching without pain.

I still need to check out the vids as my issues aren't gonna go away by ignoring then so I need some practical solutions.

Thanks again,
Hawk

Always happy to help, man..... hopefully in a few weeks your shoulders and elbows will see some improvement from the lower stress.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
2.5 things....

I watched the shoulder wrap vid. Have to try that.

chicken_hawk

chicken_hawk

MuscleHead
Oct 28, 2010
Glad to hear man! Which stretch is giving you the most relief?

Sorry, 5.0 it's the not the stretching it was changing to high bar that helped ease my shoulder pain.

Hawk

chicken_hawk

chicken_hawk

MuscleHead
Oct 28, 2010
Well, just a follow up. PLK recommended some Donnie Thompson vids which are all good. But, the "Getting that angry shoulder under the sqaut bar" should be on every plers must watch list. Five minutes, a big band and a knee wrap (already had the Grippers) and increase your ROM 25%. Enough to get under a squat bar.

On a personal note, I have raised mine to the lowest high bar possible. I am squating less but feeling better.

Thanks again PLK,
Hawk

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic