Members
Latest Member
RalfKelleh

Need a shoulder warm up for low bar squats

chicken_hawk

chicken_hawk

MuscleHead
Oct 28, 2010
Hey guys, you all helped so much with my lower back which in back to 95% btw so thanks to all who posted suggestions.

Anyway, after a few months away from low bat squating for the purpose of building weak links and shoulder health I worked it back in the past two weeks nice n easy. Well, some of you might guess that my shoulders and my elbows took a beating. There was some minor irrating pain but my bench dropped hard as it was too difficult to push through.

I do bench on Monday and squat Tuesday, Thursday is flat back and incline for 3 sets of reps while Friday is 3 sets of SBS for reps.

Currently, I only wrap 3 fingers and use the widest grip the power rack allows. But, I think bad T spine mobility and shoulder ROM sends the stress down the line. So, I am looking for suggestions or any pre workout technique to help get may arms back and elbows down.

Thanks,
Hawk

C

C T J

Crossfit VIP
Jan 24, 2013
Standing Banded reverse flys 3x20 red band. Externally rotate each rep.
Banded rotator cuff rotates/raises 3x20 each arm orange band
PVC pipe passthroughs 1x50
Face down ghd plank db shoulder presses 3x20 5-10lb db

Also might want to choke a green band to a pull up bar and wrap the other end around your wrist and stretch your lats out while externally rotating your shoulder.

You can take a PVC pipe and with it perpendicular to the ground and behind your bicep, grab the lower end with the other arm pulling the pipe under your tricep which raises your elbow and externally rotates the shoulder. I can make a video if that's confusing.

Last edited:
BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
I do shoulder stick stretches, wall angels, band pull aparts, etc.... I do shoulder prehab at least 3x a week.

VIP Member
Nov 3, 2012
I do shoulder stick stretches, wall angels, band pull aparts, etc.... I do shoulder prehab at least 3x a week.

x2, BI gave me the same suggestions and it has helped immensely! Wall angles throughout the day have been the biggest help for me. I had my shoulder operated on almost a yr ago and I know those 3 things were a game changer for me. Best wishes man, keep us posted

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
A training partner bought a shoulder horn. I love it. Very easy to use and effective.

chicken_hawk

chicken_hawk

MuscleHead
Oct 28, 2010
Standing Banded reverse flys 3x20 red band. Externally rotate each rep.
Banded rotator cuff rotates/raises 3x20 each arm orange band
PVC pipe passthroughs 1x50
Face down ghd plank db shoulder presses 3x20 5-10lb db

Also might want to choke a green band to a pull up bar and wrap the other end around your wrist and stretch your lats out while externally rotating your shoulder.

You can take a PVC pipe and with it perpendicular to the ground and behind your bicep, grab the lower end with the other arm pulling the pipe under your tricep which raises your elbow and externally rotates the shoulder. I can make a video if that's confusing.

Thanks for taking the time brother and I do know exactly what you're talking about with the pvc as I do them daily...I actually do all you mention, but strength is not the issue, I have done more shoulder work then bench work in the last year or two ...I simply cant get my hands back under the bar. So, it twists my joints and this leads to pain.

The pvc helps...just not enough and the heavier I go the more it hurts.

Hawk

chicken_hawk

chicken_hawk

MuscleHead
Oct 28, 2010
x2, BI gave me the same suggestions and it has helped immensely! Wall angles throughout the day have been the biggest help for me. I had my shoulder operated on almost a yr ago and I know those 3 things were a game changer for me. Best wishes man, keep us posted

Thanks guys, I guess I need to look up wall angles then.

Hawk

Reactions: 5.0
BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Thanks guys, I guess I need to look up wall angles then.

Hawk

These aren't the technical terms/names for the movements. A friend of mine is a PT and had me perform these and others to help rehab my right shoulder. I'm supposed to actually have it cut but I won't. It's a mess but I can still lift relatively heavy and I'll take that over having some hack quack cut it and then not even be able to lift what I'm currently lifting.

SHOULDER REHAB MOVEMENTS:

Let me write down the description of each of these rehab movements b/c someone out there might benefit from them.

Wall Angels~ Stand against a wall. You head, shoulders, butt, elbows, and hands must be touching the wall at all times. Than make the top half of a snow angel on the wall. This will be difficult but it helps open up the shoulder girdle. Try to bring down the elbows as low as possible (lower them). Bring your arm up and touch them at the top, lower them all the time while keeping contact to the wall with the above mentioned groups.

Scapular Motions~ This is easy. It's just rolling your shoulders forward, backward, upward, and downward. You don't have to hold any of these. They should be fluid movements.

Sea Turtles~ Have you ever seen a sea turtle on tv try to dig into the sand to lay it's eggs? Its kinda like that. You lay on the ground (prone), facing down. Arms are overhead with a bend (in an arc). Your head should touching the floor (face directly forward). Now was you bring your arms back and away (do so in an arcing manner), lift your upper body and squeeze your shoulder blades. Than as you bring your arms back to the starting position, lower your face back down to the floor (relax completely).

Stick Stretch~ Take a broom stick and starting in front bring it up and back where it touches your behind. Than bring it forward. That is one rep.

woodswise

woodswise

TID Board Of Directors
Apr 29, 2012
My coach has me do a series of rotator exercises with an orange band (about 1/4" thick) doubled up.
1. Holding my arms in biceps curl position (elbows bent upper arms at my side, forearms bent 90 degrees), with my palms up I do 10 rotations (rotating my hands out while keeping the 90 degree angle between my forearm and upper arm, and holding my upper arms at my side).
2. then with my palms down, I do another 10.
3. Holding my arms straight forward from my body, out in front of my face, with the band about 12" long between my hands, rotate my straight arms until they are straight out from my shoulders and the band touches my throat for 10 reps.
4. Starting from the same position as #3, rotate my arms over my head, bringing the band behind my back, until it touches my butt for 10 reps.
5. Holding my arms straight above my head with about 12" of band between my hands, lower my straight arms to my sides until the band touches my traps, while clenching my shoulders together.

These always loosen up my shoulders like no other stretching or exercises, and afterward they feel like $1 Million!

The_Northman1522

The_Northman1522

Jul 11, 2016
This is the best for a nagging shoulder I've found. Although I do shoulder rehab everyday, with rear delt flies of light weight. The stick is amazing.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

chicken_hawk

chicken_hawk

MuscleHead
Oct 28, 2010
These aren't the technical terms/names for the movements. A friend of mine is a PT and had me perform these and others to help rehab my right shoulder. I'm supposed to actually have it cut but I won't. It's a mess but I can still lift relatively heavy and I'll take that over having some hack quack cut it and then not even be able to lift what I'm currently lifting.

SHOULDER REHAB MOVEMENTS:

Let me write down the description of each of these rehab movements b/c someone out there might benefit from them.

Wall Angels~ Stand against a wall. You head, shoulders, butt, elbows, and hands must be touching the wall at all times. Than make the top half of a snow angel on the wall. This will be difficult but it helps open up the shoulder girdle. Try to bring down the elbows as low as possible (lower them). Bring your arm up and touch them at the top, lower them all the time while keeping contact to the wall with the above mentioned groups.

Scapular Motions~ This is easy. It's just rolling your shoulders forward, backward, upward, and downward. You don't have to hold any of these. They should be fluid movements.

Sea Turtles~ Have you ever seen a sea turtle on tv try to dig into the sand to lay it's eggs? Its kinda like that. You lay on the ground (prone), facing down. Arms are overhead with a bend (in an arc). Your head should touching the floor (face directly forward). Now was you bring your arms back and away (do so in an arcing manner), lift your upper body and squeeze your shoulder blades. Than as you bring your arms back to the starting position, lower your face back down to the floor (relax completely).

Stick Stretch~ Take a broom stick and starting in front bring it up and back where it touches your behind. Than bring it forward. That is one rep.

I am going to try these asap. I tried low bar for just two sessions and I was done. I have done some wall angles and there is no way this ol boy can keep his hands against the wall. I am at the point of not doing low bar or another meet until I can squat with minimul pain.

On a positive note I had my MT grind my pecs into oblivion. Yes, tears were shed but it was a positive step to build on.

Hawk

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
I am going to try these asap. I tried low bar for just two sessions and I was done. I have done some wall angles and there is no way this ol boy can keep his hands against the wall. I am at the point of not doing low bar or another meet until I can squat with minimul pain.

On a positive note I had my MT grind my pecs into oblivion. Yes, tears were shed but it was a positive step to build on.

Hawk

If you can't keep your hands on the wall with your butt against the wall, then scoot your butt away from the wall to make it easier to begin with.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic