Latest Member
SDUBUBLACK
What's New?

My smart thermostat decided for me...

Bigtex

Bigtex

VIP Member
Aug 14, 2012
I heard Texas was thinking about doing that Jipped. I had no idea it actually went through.
We have a fucked up power grid here. They tell us we are hitting record energy consumption. Duhhhh.....we had over 2 million extra people move into the state last year alone. That means over 2 million more air-conditioners are running and means we hit new records. How fucking hard is this to figure out. Just fix the damn grid so it can handle over 30 million people. But yes all homes here have smart meters installed, even if you didn't want one. So yes our state power grid can read out electric meters and actually control our energy use or even completely cut it off as they did for 5 days during a historic freeze two years ago.. Cut my power off and my generator kicks on.

Bigtex

Bigtex

VIP Member
Aug 14, 2012
Electricity is cheap and plentiful, if generated via nuclear power and/or natural gas. But the experts tell me these forms of energy are harmful to the environment, LOL. And now places that never had rolling blackouts are beginning to warn that they're coming. That's not progress! LOL
Tommy we have been having rolling blackouts here in Houston for a few years. For no reason the power goes out for 15 minutes in different areas of the city. Generator sells are at an all time high here. Ours kicks on about 1 time a month. Still have to go around and reset fucking electric clocks.

genetic freak

genetic freak

VIP Member
Dec 28, 2015
We have a fucked up power grid here. They tell us we are hitting record energy consumption. Duhhhh.....we had over 2 million extra people move into the state last year alone. That means over 2 million more air-conditioners are running and means we hit new records. How fucking hard is this to figure out. Just fix the damn grid so it can handle over 30 million people. But yes all homes here have smart meters installed, even if you didn't want one. So yes our state power grid can read out electric meters and actually control our energy use or even completely cut it off as they did for 5 days during a historic freeze two years ago.. Cut my power off and my generator kicks on.
A lot of states have the energy saving programs where you can get rebates from the energy companies if you buy energy saving appliances. However, in the fine print, it states that when you apply for rebate it gives the energy company control over your energy consumption and they can cut you off, control your thermostat, etc...

myosin

myosin

VIP Member
May 27, 2011
A lot of states have the energy saving programs where you can get rebates from the energy companies if you buy energy saving appliances. However, in the fine print, it states that when you apply for rebate it gives the energy company control over your energy consumption and they can cut you off, control your thermostat, etc...
Sounds cliche, but it’s true…. Read the Frigging fine print… dang that’s crazy

Bigtex

Bigtex

VIP Member
Aug 14, 2012
I am telling you guys, my wife and I rest pretty comfortably now since we had our Generac generator installed. We went through Lowes and had the whole thing done and pay about $125/mo for the financing through Lowes. We will have it paid off in 3 years. Anytime the power cuts off the generator automatically cuts on and runs on natural gas. Powers everything in the house. You never know around here between drunks taking out power, storms, high winds, hurricanes and rolling blackouts we could lose power at any time. We just got fed up with it.

tommyguns2

tommyguns2

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Dec 25, 2010
Tommy we have been having rolling blackouts here in Houston for a few years. For no reason the power goes out for 15 minutes in different areas of the city. Generator sells are at an all time high here. Ours kicks on about 1 time a month. Still have to go around and reset fucking electric clocks.
Pretty crazy. 40 years ago with old technology we never had blackouts. The greenies won't be happy until all the pleebs are eating insects and weeds, and living in mud brick houses. That's progress to them.

MorganKane

MorganKane

VIP Member
Nov 12, 2012
No shit.
That cut off sucked. We lost power for 72 hours.
it was 42 degrees in the house in the morning.
They need to get this grid fixed.

Bigtex

Bigtex

VIP Member
Aug 14, 2012
No shit.
That cut off sucked. We lost power for 72 hours.
it was 42 degrees in the house in the morning.
They need to get this grid fixed.
YEP, we also lost water for 2 days. It was like camping out. Now I read that the State Supreme court says ERCOT can not be held liable for the damages. There goes our laws suit against them.

jipped genes

jipped genes

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2022
Electricity is cheap and plentiful, if generated via nuclear power and/or natural gas. But the experts tell me these forms of energy are harmful to the environment, LOL. And now places that never had rolling blackouts are beginning to warn that they're coming. That's not progress! LOL
Agree, now we are moving to more wind and solar. 2 intermittent and inefficient methods of producing power. It is emotion over logic and facts.

JackD

JackD

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Sep 16, 2010
TBH… TX and Ercot are F’ing dumb. They have options to fix the grid and then they act like everything is fine till it melts down again. The deep freeze in 21 highlighted everything wrong with the current infrastructure. I don’t get it.

Additionally, what I don’t understand… I looked at the energy consumption for CA and TX… can someone help me understand why CA uses half the amount of energy TX does?

tommyguns2

tommyguns2

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Dec 25, 2010
Additionally, what I don’t understand… I looked at the energy consumption for CA and TX… can someone help me understand why CA uses half the amount of energy TX does?
For much of California, you don't need to run an air conditioner. Just about all of Texas is running A/C most of the year.

Bigtex

Bigtex

VIP Member
Aug 14, 2012
TBH… TX and Ercot are F’ing dumb. They have options to fix the grid and then they act like everything is fine till it melts down again. The deep freeze in 21 highlighted everything wrong with the current infrastructure. I don’t get it.

One problem with energy consumption is it is hot as hell in Texas, with average temperatures over 95 degrees from May - November. California as a whole does not have the consistently hot temperatures like Texas. I lived in LA for a year and May there is so cold at night you have to wear winter clothes. Come to Houston and your ass will burn alive in May. Plus, in the San Francisco Bay area, 47% of the San Francisco metro area’s 1.7 million households even had air conditioning. Here in Houston. only the very poor do not have air-conditioners. We run our air-conditioner generally year round. There are very few days we need a heater running. Population, as of now there are over just over 30 million people in Texas, California is 39 million. Most in California live in cooler climates.

Back when Rick Perry was Gov of Texas, he decided that we need to go with this eco green energy. Now here are the facts, according to the EGI, "Texas also accounts for about one-seventh of the nation's total energy consumption, more than any other state, and it is sixth among the states in per capita energy consumption." "However, because Texas produces much more energy than it consumes, it is the nation's largest net energy supplier. Texas leads the nation in energy production, providing nearly one-fourth of the country's domestically produced energy."
  • Texas has abundant renewable energy resources and is first in the nation in wind-generated electricity.
  • Texas is among the leading states in solar energy potential and generation.
  • Geothermal resources suitable for power generation also are present in eastern and southern Texas. Uranium—the fuel for nuclear reactors—was mined from sandstone deposits in the Texas coastal plain as early as 1961, and significant resources remain.
During the big freeze our wind and our solar got shut down. And they were, collectively, more than 10% of our power grid, that caused a domino effect on the rest of the power grid. Gov Perry should have never wasted taxpayers money on this green new deal shit. You have to remember also that houses in Texas are not built the same way they are in colder parts of the country. Hell our house has Hardy board and some very tin reflective shield in the middle and dry wall. It does well to protect us during normal weather but sucks if it get below freezing. Our water lines are also maybe 2' below the surface. So the last months we have not had cool water coming out of the tap but hot.

Unlike other states, most of Texas is not connected to the nation's regional power grids so we avoid federal regulations and can sell power much cheaper. A little history.....The predecessor for ERCOT was formed in the 1930s, after President Franklin D. Roosevelt signed the Federal Power Act, which charged the Federal Power Commission with regulating interstate electricity sales. Even today ERCOT, which was formed in 1970, remains beyond the reach of the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission, which regulates interstate electric transmission. Texans have a total distrust of the federal government. I used 1742 KWHs in my last bill and the average temperature was 98 degrees. So far 18 days we have had temperatures of more than 100 and heat indexes over 120 degrees. I am locked in on a 9.43 cents /KWH, California is about 28.38 cents /KWH. According to EnergySage Marketplace data, California has the most expensive electricity in the country at 28.38 ¢ / kWh.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic