Latest Member
goodmanpharmaceuticals
What's New?

My smart thermostat decided for me...

jipped genes

jipped genes

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2022
So I got home from work, it was hot in my house, 79 degrees. I keep it at 76 day and 74 night. Very conservative, right?

Well I tried to lower my temp on the thermostat. Would not come on. It said I was on some eco program that raised the temp in my home without me knowing when power consumption was high. I did not sign up for this shit either. I had to go online and jump through a bunch of hoops to turn it off including send my damn provider an email!

I am gonna buy a cheap analog thermostat just in case these people DECIDE I should not choose my own comfort level in my OWN PHUCKIN HOME!

beefnewton

beefnewton

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2022
What thermostat was it? That would piss me off, too. I've had four Nests and two Ecobee's and haven't had that problem... yet.

myosin

myosin

VIP Member
May 27, 2011
So I got home from work, it was hot in my house, 79 degrees. I keep it at 76 day and 74 night. Very conservative, right?

Well I tried to lower my temp on the thermostat. Would not come on. It said I was on some eco program that raised the temp in my home without me knowing when power consumption was high. I did not sign up for this shit either. I had to go online and jump through a bunch of hoops to turn it off including send my damn provider an email!

I am gonna buy a cheap analog thermostat just in case these people DECIDE I should not choose my own comfort level in my OWN PHUCKIN HOME!
I've known a few people that's happened to... that's the goal right? Make everything electronic, connected so everything can be controlled.

Tuffoldman

Tuffoldman

VIP Member
May 23, 2011
Those electric company-controlled thermostats are "supposed" to save you money because they adjust the temp to the most efficient temp based on usage/power consumption and of course overall electric company demand. I had one in my home and business and over the course of a full year, It said my savings was less than $1. They are not worth it at all IMO

Bigtex

Bigtex

VIP Member
Aug 14, 2012

WOW! My mother was telling me her electric company cut her AC off during the night. When we had our AC unit put in we had them install the old basic AC/Heat ON/OFF and temperature UP and DOWN. Hell, its been 100+ here for 17 days this month and every frigging day we are being asked to turn our AC up to 80 degrees. Fuck that, we have ours set on 73, day and night.

JackD

JackD

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Sep 16, 2010
Haha don’t ever get one of those smart stats. Basic one works great! And here is a fun fact, your electric bill and consumption will be less if you just pick a temp and leave it there. I leave my AC at 72 all the time. my electric bills are always less than everyone else who is always raising and lowering their stats.

Raising and lowering the temp daily uses more energy that just leaving it set. Think of your place like a fridge, it’s always constant and runs less if it’s maintaining.

MR. BMJ

MR. BMJ

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Sep 21, 2011
You should have it set to at least 80 degrees for the environment. You need to do your part to save the environment, Hunter Biden would.

If you don't, then I have to quote a very wise retard...."How Dare You!"

FUKK those new thermostats! I knew about this happening before it even started....pesky MF's were persistent on changing them out for us. Glad I read that this would happen and gave them my middle finger with a big F-U!

Jipped, screw 84 at night....tha heck? I was gonna stop by and visit and have some bbq and watch a UFC fight.....but with all the food, excitement, and sweating my arse off, i'll shrink down to a skinny fat guy.

Our AC is set higher during the day, but at night, that fucker is sub-70 degrees. I'm talking like 66F. The ex-wife gets cold and usually turns it back up to 70 though:mad:

Gavin Newsom loves me out here in Cali!

genetic freak

genetic freak

VIP Member
Dec 28, 2015
I heard Texas was thinking about doing that Jipped. I had no idea it actually went through.

jipped genes

jipped genes

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2022
Yep, got an ecobee but I spoke with a pal who has a nest, same thing.

BMJ, 74 at night bro. Not 84 are you nuts! If my house was 84 at night I would commit a crime so I could sleep in jail where the AC works.

tommyguns2

tommyguns2

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Dec 25, 2010
Electricity is cheap and plentiful, if generated via nuclear power and/or natural gas. But the experts tell me these forms of energy are harmful to the environment, LOL. And now places that never had rolling blackouts are beginning to warn that they're coming. That's not progress! LOL

Bigtex

Bigtex

VIP Member
Aug 14, 2012
Haha don’t ever get one of those smart stats. Basic one works great! And here is a fun fact, your electric bill and consumption will be less if you just pick a temp and leave it there. I leave my AC at 72 all the time. my electric bills are always less than everyone else who is always raising and lowering their stats.

Raising and lowering the temp daily uses more energy that just leaving it set. Think of your place like a fridge, it’s always constant and runs less if it’s maintaining.
THANK YOU! Despite our utility companies and our state power grid ERCOT telling us the change temperatures all the time. I talked to my AAC guy and he said just what you said. Leave it at one temperature so the AC can cycle and doesn't have to work so hard to cool the house back down.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic