Latest Member
RalfKelleh
What's New?

My one year of hell with planet fitness

gunslinger

gunslinger

VIP Member
Sep 19, 2010
Last year I had a few life events and had to make some changes accordingly. My daughter got more serious about her competitive gymnastics, my wife and I were down to one car (mine) and by the time all was said and done when we would get to the gym we would have about 20 mins to actually work out before I had to leave to teach my Jiu-jitsu class on the other side of town. About this time planet fitness moved in. Everyone and their brother was joining. I sat down and did the math and would save $110 per month if I made the switch. I had read all the horror stories but I figured they had to be exaggerations. I mean, how could one place possibly be that bad and stay in business? Well, we went, did the tour, the wife liked it and it did not seem as bad as I thought it would. The lunk alarm and the lack of dumbbells heavier than 60 pounds were red flags but…..

Well, to make a long story short I’ve wasted the past year in that shit hole getting nothing but smaller and fatter. Everything I had ever heard about planet fitness was true. When they say they aren’t a gym they are telling the truth! and you better not get caught working out either. Its against the rules. Signs up all over saying “judgment free zone” meanwhile there is a sign up with a jacked dude holding a gallon jug with a busters sign through it. WTF? This has to be the most judgmental place Ive ever set foot in. Worse than any baptist church…lol There is no possible way to get a decent workout there. From the lack of free weights to the shitty pop music, to the idiotic dress code. Everything is completely against making progress of any kind. I was already frustrated as hell, but the final straw came last week. I walked in with blue jean shorts and was told I couldn’t work out because of it. I told them to get ****ed and walked out.

Walked into another gym right down the road. Told the guy at the front desk my story as he nodded and smiled understandingly. When I was done with my rant he told me they had a lot of people come from PF. He said because my wife was a teacher we would get a discount and end up paying the same price as PF. Did the tour. Smaller than PF with that familiar smell in the air. Nothing but hammer strength, Cybex and free weights. Dumbbells up to 150 pounds. The music was 80’s rock, and I didn’t see one single out of shape mother****er in the place. Even the women were bigger and leaner than me, and I’m not exaggerating. At least 5-6 guys there looked like they could step right on a national level stage. Shaker bottles and gallon jugs of colorful water all over the place. The guy at the desk said if I turned in my PF card they would waive the sign up cost. I did and he opened up a drawer with dozens of PF cards and tossed mine on top on the pile.

So far I’ve been back twice and have had two of the best workouts I’ve had in over a year. Sore as **** and loving it! Time to get my fat ass back in shape!

Bullmuscle7

Bullmuscle7

MuscleHead
Jun 11, 2014
God will provide...

Run the hell away from that other-unmentionable- place!

FLEXjs

FLEXjs

MuscleHead
Apr 23, 2012
That place hasn't made it to Canada yet.

Part of me wishes it would though, so all the wankers that belong there would GTFO of my gym!

Glad you were able to make a change for the better.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Yeah, I've never even stepped foot in a PF and I won't. That place is worse then any commercial gym available I'd wager. It rewards fatty's and helps increase their numbers so in time we'll be over run with them.

Good for you that you found a gym you can actually train in and make progress.

Ace Corona

Ace Corona

Apr 6, 2015
I was planning on joining a Planet Fitness near where we were hoping to get an apartment, but we didn't qualify for the apartment. I guess it was a hidden blessing, everyone who has ever talked about joining Planet Fitness has told horror stories about their experiences. I have a two-year membership to 24 Hour Fitness that expires in November 2016, I got it at Costco. I like working out there.

midevil

midevil

TID Board Of Directors
Jan 20, 2011
Planet sickness sucks ass!

i joined the one around the corner from where I wok just as a backup to use in a pinch while maintaining my membership elsewhere (at a real gym).

I used the place a half dozen times in almost 2 years before I cancelled my membership.

Lizard King

Lizard King

Administrator
Staff Member
Sep 9, 2010
People join just to say that they go to the gym. It's like free money for the corporation, that's how they can afford to give you your free pizza.

matthewk04

matthewk04

VIP Member
Jul 21, 2013
Haha. I joined last summer basically as a place to tan for my trip to Vegas. The upside is for 20 bucks a month you can bring a guest for free to any locatoon, tanning, good cardio etc. drawback is you can't work out. I did deads there twice there last summer both in the corner no noise in an empty gym and was told I couldn't do that. I think when they saw me and I looked just like the lunk guy they tried to force me out. It's not my main gym but I keep it because I can do chest and a few other things there and there and they have so many locations that I can stop off on my long commute in a bunch of different spots and get a pump. My regular gym is in a basement and is a great power gym but was falling apart and they are finally starting to fix it with a price increase so I may drop the PF in the fall.

gunslinger

gunslinger

VIP Member
Sep 19, 2010
Yeah, the gym I was at for 11 years before joining PF was a hardcore place put after the owner had a heart attack and his kids took over the place started to really go down. No repairs were getting made, no cleaning etc. It was basically falling apart.

uphillclimb

uphillclimb

VIP Member
Dec 9, 2011
Before PF really blew up, I got kicked out of two of them....I'm on the banned list now....couldn't even train an out of shape buddy of mine last fall as a guest.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic