Members
Latest Member
Ethan7400

My Gear Journey Thread

Ramrod

Ramrod

MuscleHead
Jun 5, 2012
I'm working on making plans on a single ply meet this year. I have a few pieces of singly gear that should do the trick.

Squats/Deadlift
Titan Super Cent. New
Metal V-Type Squatter..used (got this to start off with)

Briefs
Inzer Power pants..New
Titan Cent. Cut into briefs..used

Bench
APT APEX Shirt..New

Accessory stuff
Slingshot Red
Tons of Knee/Wrist wraps. Even a pair of 2ply Knee Wraps.
Lots of Bands

By biggest issue is my Training with Gear. No one around my gym has any knowledge of Gear. I also train most of the time late at night before work. So many nights I'm alone.

I do have Cages, Mono-lift attachments and our Bench has Safety bars.

Our Bench is odd. It does have Safety bars. But also the Rack itself slides. I can slide it down to where I don't have to take a lift off over my head. Once I press it out of the rack. The rack slides back out of the way. Then I do have to re-rack it as normal. Not sure how hard it is to re-rack in a Bench shirt.

I'm just looking for everyone on here who I can hit up for help on issues I come across dosing this.

Any advice on how to work this gear into a RAW Program.. So I can slowly get used to it, but not interfere with my Training.

porky little keg

porky little keg

MuscleHead
May 21, 2011
There are two parts to learning gear.... the first one is just getting used to the equipment and learning the groove. The second part is handling the bigger weights and building up the support musculature.

Plenty of guys train with a small crew, but if you have any experienced guys within a few hours of you it'll dramatically help your learning curve to drive out a few Saturdays each month to get some help.

Video is your friend in the beginning. Post up your training and let some experienced guys help you pick out what's breaking down.

Ramrod

Ramrod

MuscleHead
Jun 5, 2012
There are two parts to learning gear.... the first one is just getting used to the equipment and learning the groove. The second part is handling the bigger weights and building up the support musculature.

Plenty of guys train with a small crew, but if you have any experienced guys within a few hours of you it'll dramatically help your learning curve to drive out a few Saturdays each month to get some help.

Video is your friend in the beginning. Post up your training and let some experienced guys help you pick out what's breaking down.

Thanks, There is a small group near me, but I haven't heard anything good from them. I've done 4 local meets and haven't seen any of them compete either.

I know of one up in KC that Jeff Frank goes too. I know they know their gear.

porky little keg

porky little keg

MuscleHead
May 21, 2011
Thanks, There is a small group near me, but I haven't heard anything good from them. I've done 4 local meets and haven't seen any of them compete either.

I know of one up in KC that Jeff Frank goes too. I know they know their gear.

Dude, Jeff is definitely the man to go work with! I'm not sure if Al Caslow is still even going to the gym any more but he was down there as well and he really knows his stuff.

Either way, if you're within a 3 hour drive of Jeff you should be there every week for real. He's a friend of mine and a seriously good man. He'll set you straight.

Ramrod

Ramrod

MuscleHead
Jun 5, 2012
Dude, Jeff is definitely the man to go work with! I'm not sure if Al Caslow is still even going to the gym any more but he was down there as well and he really knows his stuff.

Either way, if you're within a 3 hour drive of Jeff you should be there every week for real. He's a friend of mine and a seriously good man. He'll set you straight.

I've talked to Jeff a few years back when he kind of first started. He was on another forum. I missed my chance to meet him once. He did a Meet here in Springfield a couple years back. I think it was a USPAL meet. Wish I did thou. I'll have to talk it over with the wife and see if we can swing those drives. I have odd days off work. I just need to Chat with Jeff and see what I can do..

Thanks porky

Ramrod

Ramrod

MuscleHead
Jun 5, 2012
First Day in my Super Katana.. Didn't push it to much. I was able to touch easy to a 2 board. Worked up to 365. Thats about 40lbs over my paused RAW bench

Not shown 315 x2 to a 3 brd

Here is 355 x2 first to a 3 brd then a 2 brd, First Rep got a little High. 2nd flet great

Then Last 365 x2 first to a 3 brd then a 2 brd

Ramrod

Ramrod

MuscleHead
Jun 5, 2012
455 Lb x 1 reps

500 Lb x 1 reps

550 Lb x 1 reps

Ramrod

Ramrod

MuscleHead
Jun 5, 2012
More Shirt Work...

Bench Press (Paused)
45 Lb x 20 reps
135 Lb x 15 reps
185 Lb x 10 reps
225 Lb x 5 reps

Shirt Work
315 Lb x 3 reps - Touched
365 Lb x 2 reps - Touched
385 Lb x 2 reps - 3 brd then 2 brd

405 Lb x 3 reps - all 3 brd

Notes:
Added Shirt at 315

Bench Press (Touch & Go)
225 Lb x 10 reps + 40 LB REP PR
225 Lb x 8 reps

Ramrod

Ramrod

MuscleHead
Jun 5, 2012
So I've Officially finished my first week using all my Gear. Made some Mistakes, learned a lot and will keep pushing on...

The Hardest part so far as been really the Squats. Not sure why, was thinking they would be the easiest. I just need to get use to the groove and the pressure the suit makes.

First time ever pulling in a Suit. Metal V-Style squat suit. Next week will try the suit backwards.

405 Lb x 1 reps + Suit, Straps Down
455 LB x 1 reps + Suit, Straps Down

500 Lb x 1 reps + Suit, Straps Down
565 Lb x 1 reps + Straps up

585 Lb x 1 reps + Straps up

Ramrod

Ramrod

MuscleHead
Jun 5, 2012
Just a bad day in the Shirt, nothing felt good. I could hold the weight at around a 3 board, but had No power to get it back up at all. Plus it was killing my Elbows. Think I was bringing the bar to high (forward).

I didn't use any boards today, I jacked the collar down and stayed tight. Didn't get any weights to touch at all. Only tried 4 singes in it and nothing felt right. Would have kept going and trying to bring the bar down more, but my elbow was jacked.

Ramrod

Ramrod

MuscleHead
Jun 5, 2012
Bench
15/135
5/185
5/225
3/275
1/300
1/320

I got part of my Shirt set right today, but still think I'm not getting the sleeves up far enough into the pits. I got the Collar pulled down and stayed tight. Didn't get anything to touch today. But I was bringing the Bar to high to the chest. I think the combo of the sleeves not being set and the bar path.. Torqed the crap out of my elbows and gave me ZERO Power. I would have kept going, but my elbows just felt jacked. I think my sleeves maybe a bit small. Arms are going numb.

Shirted
F/405
F/425
F/425

Ramrod

Ramrod

MuscleHead
Jun 5, 2012
More time in the Shirt. Much Better, but so much farther to go. My Lockout is WEAK and is my problem area. So Lots of Floor/Pin Presses. Worked up to what I thought 365, but it was only 355. Worked the shirt to touch and worked on finding that groove and exploding up better. But today was pain free and felt so much better. Shirt left some nasty marks...lol

Bench Press (Touch & Go)
45 Lb x 15 reps
135 Lb x 10 reps
185 Lb x 5 reps
225 Lb x 5 reps
275 Lb x 3 reps

Bench - Shirted
315 Lb x 3 reps
335 Lb x 2 reps

355 Lb x 2 reps

355 Lb x 1 reps

355 Lb x 1 reps