Latest posts

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest Member
Rolanalon
What's New?

My experience with a PSMF (protein sparing modified fast)

W

Wolf

MuscleHead
Dec 25, 2010
So what is a PSMF (protein sparing modified fast)? For those familiar with a ketogenic diet the PSMF is exactly the same concept, adequate protein intake(1-1.25 grams per a pound of lean body weight depending on activity and athletic level), near unlimited leafy green vegetables for fiber, vitamins and minerals, healthy fats. The only difference between the PSMF and a ketogenic diet is that the actual fat content of the PSMF is as close to zero as possible (with the exception of omega 3 fatty acid supplementation). The other main difference from other diets is the fact that training has to be kept very very sparse during the diet period, on a crash diet like this the exercise can actually set a person back in terms of overall weight and fat loss.

I'll be posting up more information on the diet itself later on today.

I completed a 40 day cut. The 40 day cut included around 4-6 days of being off diet, at least 5 or 6 free meals on the course of the 34 or 32 days that were on diet. My first two weeks on diet were spent not so clean, as I was eating whole roasted chickens the first few days, then chicken from the chinese restaurant close by until I learned how to cook chicken in a few low carb/low fat manner. I began my diet at a bodyweight of about 232-234. In those 40 days I went down to 212 and after getting off the diet (this is close to my second required week off of dieting) I am up to 216. The majority of my fat loss came along a 20 day period basically.

For most of the diet I consumed 2 pounds of chicken a day, cooked in a pan with pam cooking spray with whatever seasonings I felt like using that particular day. I would also eat 2-3 low carb, high fiber tortilla wraps everyday or a head of lettuce with a low carb/low fat dressing made out of mustard, vinegar and some other seasonings. Calories were only around 1000 a day at the very most.

At higher body fats there are some very clear cut advantages to a diet like this.

- Consider that a 200 pound man on average with light activity a few times a week can have a metabolism that gets close to 3k a day. With a calorie intake of 1000 calories a day for a week he creates a calorie debt of 14,000 calories, or 4 pounds worth of fat (potentially if it was all fat, which upwards of 90 percent of the weight loss is). What this really means is over a period of X amount of weeks, its plausible to utilize much more time in actual training than cutting.

- Appetite and cravings drop on this diet, making it easier to finish oddly enough.

- After ending the diet my appetite felt normalized, before the diet I was still in powerlifting eating mode.

There are some disadvantages to do the diet as well

- Training needs to be cut back intensely. It's a choice between being able to moderately diet and train or doing a crash diet like this and not being able to train at all.

- Can cause general fatigue through the day.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic