Members
Latest Member
pbtom

My bodybuilding training/diet thread

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Multi joint, compound movements such as deadlift (conventional, sumo, RDL, SLDL), squats (box, reverse band, front, back, paused), OHP (Z-press, push press, standing strict press), etc.... I'd also suggest more than 3 sets on these big lifts. I'd recommend something like 5x5 which is 5 sets of 5 reps with a linear increase in weights.

M

mel149

May 19, 2015
Multi joint, compound movements such as deadlift (conventional, sumo, RDL, SLDL), squats (box, reverse band, front, back, paused), OHP (Z-press, push press, standing strict press), etc.... I'd also suggest more than 3 sets on these big lifts. I'd recommend something like 5x5 which is 5 sets of 5 reps with a linear increase in weights.

Hi ! today routine
-5x DDL 40kg
-2x squats 40KG
-3x push press 40KG
-2x standing strict press 20KG

my strength is really improveing today!

Im really worn out Thanks guys !
I'm almost reaching my goal .

Still a bit of more work needed.. just gotta push myself more and more each time. Hopefully by next week I should hit Skye high!!
Thanks mel

Bullmuscle7

Bullmuscle7

MuscleHead
Jun 11, 2014
Good work!

You got some great help here!!!

C

cagedfreak

Oct 30, 2011
Welcome to the board....you clearly train very hard, and I commend you for it. But in your intro u stated that your goal is to compete in bodybuilding, so my question is why put so much effort into doing a low rep powerlifting regimin focusing so much on strength gains? Not that there is anything wrong with powerlifting, but if your goal is to enhance your physique for bodybuilding then your putting alot of physical and mental effort into the wrong area. Im an ifbb pro, and there are guys in the gym who lift heavier weights then I do, even though I am twice their size. dont get me wrong I do move some heavy weight from time to time, but I only use weight as a tool to stretch, pump, and fatigue the muscle. Increases in strength dont always yield and enhanced physique. Hence why the vast majority of powerlifters are much smaller and far less developed then bodybuilders despite the powerlifters being able to physically move more weight. So If your goal is to bodybuild then you should be focused on enhancing your apperance, and low rep sets arent the most efficient way to do that. You also mentioned that u are currently in the stage of increasing your body fat? Yes I understand that off season bodybuilders have higher bodyfat percentages then during contest prep, but additional bodyfat comes with bulking up and it should still be kept as low as possible, but by what you wrote it sounds to me like you are intentionally adding bodyfat? That also should never be a goal, it serves no purpose other then making your prep that much harder.

Last edited:
M

mel149

May 19, 2015
I'm not going into competition, it's for more own appearance.my bf percentage was very low and their was no way of me stacking on muscle without more body fat, I've gained a lot of strength I've now broken down all my workouts . My reps have increased with greater strength and I'm very happy with where I'm at. at the moment.

sassy69

sassy69

TID Lady Member
Aug 16, 2011
Hi ! today routine
-5x DDL 40kg
-2x squats 40KG
-3x push press 40KG
-2x standing strict press 20KG

my strength is really improveing today!

Im really worn out Thanks guys !
I'm almost reaching my goal .

Still a bit of more work needed.. just gotta push myself more and more each time. Hopefully by next week I should hit Skye high!!
Thanks mel

This is good stuff & an excellent suggestion by BrotherIron. I can tell you that the best gift you give yourself is spending time perfecting tight form on the foundation lifts. I started lifting when I was 15, and to date myself, this is just around the time Nautilus equipment was becoming the "thing" and Jane Fonda was the current fitness guru. For most of that period of time, I trained myself because there were no "trainers" (except the guy who took you around the Nautilus circuit) and even worse, if you were screwing around in the free weight area, I was asked several times if I wouldn't be more comfortable in the "women's section" - i.e. where all the pink weights and Thigh Masters were. It was literally until the late 80s when I finally found someone who could give me good training direction, but not until I spent a summer training w/ some PL guys in 2003 that my foundation lifts got corrected. I would even add that spending more relative time on stuff like bis/tris and on machines than on the foundation compound lifts will do you more harm than good. This in the form of excessive wear & tear on your small joints via repetitive motion (it also doesn't help that I'm a software engineer by trade, aka a "desk jockey") , as well as NOT spending time establishing excellent functional strength and overall push/pull balance. I'm paying the price now, having spent the last 5 years dealing w/ the results of push/pull imbalance in my overall body structure, a screwed rotator (actually no direct rotator damage, but rather over-stretched ligaments in my right shoulder that has propagated existing tendonitis down my right arm and regularly causing my scapula to get pushed out of place and even a high rib every now and then because of the wrong muscles doing the heavy lifting that my shoulder should be doing). And FWIW, when you hit your mid to late 40s, all the stuff that were minor issues, like passing tendonitis or whatever, becomes a regular issue when your body no longer has the same levels of growth hormone & other "youthful" supports to recover as quickly.

Anyway ... go get 'em girl! you're doing great! Be patient w/ the strength gains, and what you do gain will be yours forever while building a more stable foundation for the body you want in years to come!

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic