Latest Member
RalfKelleh
What's New?

Muscle and Sports Science is live !

Big Cat

Big Cat

RIP
Dec 11, 2011
Well after 4 months of diligent work, we are finally ready to unveil or new project, Muscle and Sports Science (M.A.S.S. for short). MASS is a purely informative non-profit project and completely free. It's mission is to slowly but certainly develop into an encyclopedia of for science-based peformance and physique enhancement, because an unbiased source for such information is direly lacking. But the project needs help : It needs a community that supports and furthers its cause by providing critical readers who can make suggestions, provide ideas and keep us on on our toes (since a source of information is only as good as its readers are intelligent and critical). Now, although you are all, without a doubt, fanatic about this working out and nutrition, we are aware that this site isn't for everyone. It's heavily rooted in science and although we try our best to keep it enjoyable for all, not everyone has a keen interest in the ins and outs of fat loss, muscle growth and increased health and performance, but even if this isn't for you, we would be wildly appreciative if you would keep us in mind and recommend us to people you know who would take an interest in our brand of information.

The nature of the information, and the time it takes to compile, read and process all the studies for a single piece make it so that this isn't a site where you will find a brand new article or review every week, let alone every day. That is sadly the price of quality, but we will be providing a blog with updates and tidbits at least once a week, hopefully more, and we have a very fun (sponsored) recipes section that we are sure anyone with an interest in tasty, protein rich dishes will gravely enjoy. There is also a facebook group to go with it, to which you can link at the bottom of the page, for people who want to stay up to date on what's new on the site, as well as small pieces that don't make it to the site. And because we really want to create a sense of community to keep our project going well into the future. As said before, we are non-profit, have no competing interests, and we don't have our own webboard because we choose to work with other communities, so if you can spread this message, we would greatly appreciate it. We do this because we like doing it, but we need your help ! No, we're not asking for money (and never will), only for critical readers who want to learn ;)

You can find the website at http://www.muscleandsportsscience.com/ and all comments, questions and suggestions are highly welcomed, either through the site's contact page, any of the webforums we are active at (since we wish to promote their use since they are also our greatest help) or directly via email ([email protected]).

And a happy New Year to all of you. We wish you more muscle, less fat and better health than ever before (and even more so if we can be of help in getting you there ;) )

IronInsanity

IronInsanity

TID Board Of Directors
May 3, 2011
Any chance that you will include a forum/message board as part of the site? The info looks great, but if there was an interactive piece I think that it would remind people to come back more often.

GetXXL

GetXXL

Oct 3, 2012
Any chance that you will include a forum/message board as part of the site? The info looks great, but if there was an interactive piece I think that it would remind people to come back more often.
The problem with a forum is that it's quite resource expensive (we're currently stationed on a shared host), and would require us to up our hosting package to atleast a VPS with some decent specs. And of course, a forum requires moderation, which is time consuming. It's something we have in mind for the future though. (Not to mention that with including a forum, most forums will see us as opponents, which limits us in promoting the actual website).

Any feedback is highly welcome. This also goes for the look of the website, if it looks messy, please provide me a screenshot with your browser specs. Computers lacking the required fonts such as Trebuchet MS or Helvetica will probably see a messed up menu, due to the broader width of a default font fallback. However, as far as I know, this only applies to people running a Linux distro which don't have the core font package installed (which makes up most likely less than half a per cent of our visitors). If you're not a Linux user, and do see a messed up menu, please inform me.

Last edited:

SHINE

Friends Remembered
Oct 11, 2010
The problem with a forum is that it's quite resource expensive (we're currently stationed on a shared host), and would require us to up our hosting package to atleast a VPS with some decent specs. And of course, a forum requires moderation, which is time consuming. It's something we have in mind for the future though. (Not to mention that with including a forum, most forums will see us as opponents, which limits us in promoting the actual website).

Any feedback is highly welcome. This also goes for the look of the website, if it looks messy, please provide me a screenshot with your browser specs. Computers lacking the required fonts such as Trebuchet MS or Helvetica will probably see a messed up menu, due to the broader width of a default font fallback. However, as far as I know, this only applies to people running a Linux distro which don't have the core font package installed (which makes up most likely less than half a per cent of our visitors). If you're not a Linux user, and do see a messed up menu, please inform me.

A forum that is dedicated to the hardcore science and for those who are serious about learning with out the Bro idiots and there 2 cents.

A lot of us enjoy the type of research and post and such forums. Like MASS.

Can't really see it being a threat or competing with TID and such. Different forum altogether.

IMO.

Last edited:
GetXXL

GetXXL

Oct 3, 2012
A forum that is dedicated to the hardcore science and for those who are serious about learning with out the Bro idiots and there 2 cents.

A lot of us enjoy the type of research and post and such forums. Like MASS.

Can't really see it being a threat or competing with TID and such. Different forum altogether.

IMO.
Glad to hear you see it that way. :)

I just have this feeling that most forum owners don't see it that way :p Well we'll just see how things will go.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Nice work Big Cat... Bookmarked on my PC. Look forward to some reading and sharing some of that info.

macgyver

macgyver

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 24, 2011
Thanks! I am very into this type stuff. Always looking to learn and experiment with tweaking my routine and diet.

IronInsanity

IronInsanity

TID Board Of Directors
May 3, 2011

Ok... even just a "Ask the Big Cat" question/answer forum may be interactive enough to generate regulars.

Big Cat

Big Cat

RIP
Dec 11, 2011
Well, if we get a ton of questions, a Q&A on the blog is a definite option short term, and at the same time the facebook group allows quite some interactivity. Aside from what GetXXL mentioned with the concerns for a forum short term, Its also a bit of a conscious choice because we will need communication on more than one board to form serious community, and I would rather work with the boards, than have them feel threatened by us. I think M.A.S.S. can be a huge benefit to members of all boards, and vice versa, and it would be a pity to scare the ownership of many boards away because we would be seen as a competitor rather than an ally. We will certainly consider a limited board if the community grows substantially, but even then, I wouldn't want to bite the hand that feeds us. The project and its continuous growth takes precedent.

SHINE

Friends Remembered
Oct 11, 2010
About Muscle and Sports Science

M.A.S.S. aims to be the prime source for scientific information on performance and physique enhancement. To provide you with updated information on the latest developments in psychology, physiology, biochemistry and molecular biology pertaining to sports and fitness. We at M.A.S.S. feel such information is severely lacking, with most sites either lacking specificity or knowledge to ascertain relevant information, or people seeking to exploit information and skewing it with commercial bias in an attempt to sell training “systems”, hype diets and nutritional supplements.

The information on this website is intended to be free and publicly available to all. The information is intended to be free of personal and commercial bias and presented as is. M.A.S.S. is not trying to sell you anything. The information you will find here is not part of a “system” that is aimed at showing you how you should do things, since that will be largely dependent on your personal goals, situation, genetics and above all, willingness to learn and discern. It is rather intended to be an ever evolving collection. An Encyclopaedia of Physique and Peformance Enhancement if you will. But the whole point of the thing is that science is a living evolving thing, our knowledge is in an ever-expanding state of flux. What we knew to be true about nutrition and training 10, or even 5 years ago, is vastly different from what we know to be true today. And it will have evolved sufficiently in another 5 years for us not to stake our reputation in claiming the current information presented is the pinnacle of our knowledge, the best, or even optimal (and even if it is now, that it may not be in the future), but only to present a vision encompassing the current body of knowledge surrounding science-minded training, nutrition and supplementation for the sports and physique enthusiast and to provide a platform to expand much needed knowledge in this industry where everyone claims to hold the cup of wisdom, and everyone is seeking a piece of the pie.

The few sites that dedicate themselves to expanding knowledge in this way form an entirely too chaotic collection of tidbits, and are often driven by a need to produce as much information as possible, such that a lot of irrelevant information is cluttered in with the relevant information, and strongly dilutes their value as a consistent source of updated information. That doesn’t mean such sites aren’t valuable, on the contrary, you’ll find we are often huge fans of these sites (and you’ll find a few in the links section) and the passion and dedication of some of the greatest ones is admirable, and they form a credit to the industry, but M.A.S.S. aims to be more and less. Less about a constant flow of information (for smaller updates and the personal musings of the editor and contributors we refer you to our blog section, which will also keep you informed of updates to the other sections) and more about concentrated, continuously updated relevant information on the scientific evolution of training, nutrition, ergogenics and general science as it pertains to how to best support your athletic and aesthetic goals.
...................... full article http://muscleandsportsscience.com/about/

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic