Mud Tires

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic Chat' started by wavedrifter, Dec 6, 2018 at 7:44 AM.

1. wavedrifter

wavedrifter New Member

Monday
    I am planning to buy a set of mud tires for my 2011 Ford F-150 SVT Raptor SuperCrew. Is anyone here familiar with Toyo Tires' Open Country M/T? A friend recommended it to me. Any other suggestions?

2. Lizard King

Lizard King Administrator Staff Member

Sep 9, 2010
    Always used BF Goodrich when I had trucks even though I wanted Dick Cepek's that I could never afford when I had trucks http://www.dickcepek.com/

I did have Toyo racing tires when I had my Lexus, I can tell you they gripped the road like no other but not sure if that translates to mudders or not.

3. Bigtex

Bigtex VIP Member

Aug 14, 2012
    I use to have a F-150 and used Mickey Thompson 33's. I also had a 2" lift on it. The Supercrew may be tall enough already to not need a lift.
    Take a look at the following:

Mickey Thompson Baja ATZ P3
    Mickey Thompson Baja MTZP3

I have the Baja ATZ on my wife's Jeep. These are aggressive, but also ride good on the highway and are radials

https://www.4wheelparts.com/b/tires-wheels/tires/mickey-thompson/_/N-cm77uZ1z0rraz

4. BovaJP

BovaJP TID Lady Member

Feb 15, 2013
    Got the ProComp Xterrains on my jeep, that has a 4.5" lift. Used that jeep as my DD for several years (daily driver). Tires road good both on highway and performed well for me off highway as well. I would do wheeling on the weekends at local parks or drive to Attica, IN to the badlands for a wheeling trip once or twice a year

Ogre717 likes this.
  5. Bigtex

Bigtex VIP Member

Aug 14, 2012

I have had ProComp Xterrains too. Very good tire. What size did you put on 33's or 35's?

BovaJP likes this.
  6. BovaJP

BovaJP TID Lady Member

Feb 15, 2013
    @Bigtex 33s. I couldn't go any bigger because of the weak axle : )
    And I did not change out the axle. Just left the stock one in there.
    Oh well....

Bigtex and Ogre717 like this.
  7. Littleguy

Littleguy TID Board Of Directors

Sep 30, 2011
    stay away from that les schwab toyo unless you want to buy em every 15k miles

8. Bigtex

Bigtex VIP Member

Aug 14, 2012
    I completely understand. We have a 2018 Jeep Wrangler JK Sport (2dr), it hat has a heavy duty rear axle but the big issue is the front to rear axle ratio. Ours is a 3.21. You really need a minimum of 4.0 to handle the 35's. The 33's are plenty. We dropped from 19mpg to 12.5mpg just with the change in tires.

Honestly, I love this Jeep more than my F-150! Lots of run to drive. The JEEP Wrangler was also just named the Motor Trend SUV of the year.

BovaJP likes this.
  9. metsfan4life

metsfan4life VIP Member

Jan 2, 2014
    BigTex knows his Jeeps! I like him

33's BF Goodrich All-Terrain is the ONLY tires i have ever put on any of my Jeeps and ever will. Simply gets you everywhere easily without the need for different types

Bigtex, Ogre717 and BovaJP like this.
  10. Bigtex

Bigtex VIP Member

Aug 14, 2012
    Jeep people are the best. Its like a clan! We all do the traditional Jeep wave here.

We had our 1st Jeep back in 1980. It was cheap and to be honest a piece of crap. I swore I would never own another one after it caught fire on day and burned up. The new Jeeps are totally different. Very nice interior, much better ride and put together much better. The only problem is they are damn expensive now but the resale is GREAT. We paid $30K for our 2dr Wrangler JK Sport. We put $6K worth the custom work on it. So it is worth $36K now. Kind of an expensive toy but its hard to say no to my wife. We put a new front and rear bumper on it with a bad ass winch, got a really obnoxious LED light bar put on the bumper that lights up about 200 yards like daylight. Its a work in progress still.

I had the chance to experiment with different tires back when I drove an F-150 4x4. I had Coopers, Goodyear, Thornbirds, ProComp Xterrains, and finally the Mickey Thompson. The Thornbirds looked very cool and are very aggressive but wore out in about 20K miles. Cooper and Goodyear had a rough/stiff noisy ride. The last two are my choice, the ride is very soft, noise minimal and you can easily get 40-50K miles out of them. Mickey Thompson is just a little cheaper and they also had a $100 rebate and free shipping. Never used the GF Goodrich but hear good things about them from Jeep owners.