Latest Member
pbtom
What's New?

Mouthpiece

Rottenrogue

Rottenrogue

Strongwoman
Jan 26, 2011
Do any of you use a mouthpiece(guard) when lifting? I have caught myself clenching my teeth when deadlifting.I lost a filling today and it had felt funky since the competition.Now I am convinced I cracked it clenching my teeth .

Do they help?Any specific one brand over another?

SAD

SAD

TID Board Of Directors
Feb 3, 2011
My experiences with mouthpieces come from striking sports, and the type of mouthguard is vitally important concerning how much it protects someone from being knocked out. But for your purposes, I would just head down to a sporting goods store and just buy a run of the mill mouthguard. Just make sure you boil and form it right for comfort.

TerribleTowel

TerribleTowel

Mar 31, 2011
I don't wear one, but it's not a bad idea if you've noticed yourself clinching your teeth. I know two people who've cracked teeth pulling deads.

N

Nick3d

May 27, 2011
I haven't used one in a while, but when I was squatting I found that the mouthpiece allowed me to breathe easier (as weird as that sounds)

Lizard King

Lizard King

Administrator
Staff Member
Sep 9, 2010
RR for your comps I would say go to the dentist and have one made if you have the funds. They aren't that expensive and it will custom fit to your teeth and palate and provide more comfort.

Anyone in the store is fine for lifting, but when your breathing is optimal in your comps, the custom molded would be best.

Rottenrogue

Rottenrogue

Strongwoman
Jan 26, 2011
lol well I gotta go to the sons a bitches for this filling I will ask what it would cost for a custom one.

Thank you

FlyingDragon

FlyingDragon

VIP Member
Nov 4, 2010
I wear a jock strap to keep my junk in place.....

hugerobb

hugerobb

VIP Strength Advisor
Sep 15, 2010
Ive always used a mouth piece

SAD

SAD

TID Board Of Directors
Feb 3, 2011
RR for your comps I would say go to the dentist and have one made if you have the funds. They aren't that expensive and it will custom fit to your teeth and palate and provide more comfort.

Anyone in the store is fine for lifting, but when your breathing is optimal in your comps, the custom molded would be best.

Not completely disagreeing with you here, because I know that all of the basketball players that have started wearing mouthguards in recent years get theirs custom made by a dentist. However, I'm not sure there's a sport where breathing is MORE important than in a contact fighting sport such as boxing, mma, muay thai, jiu-jitsu, etc., and those guys all wear shock-absorbing mouthguards ordered online. Granted, they are concerned with not getting knocked out, and not too many people know that the mouthguard you're wearing can greatly affect whether or not you get knocked out. But either way, they make mouthguards that YOU can custom mold YOURSELF with a pot of hot water. So if the dentist wants more than you are willing to pay RR, there ARE mouthguards that will mold perfectly and allow proper breathing.

Like_a_Weed

Like_a_Weed

MuscleHead
Jan 25, 2011
I always had custom ones made growing up, for what your doing, well worth it, definately check with the dentist on getting one made. I always got called in fights or in football for not wearing mine and would always have to show them I had one in. And you can talk relatively normal.

ITAWOLF

ITAWOLF

VIP Member
Dec 9, 2010
a bunch of cheap ones and a custom when im in the ring

Lizard King

Lizard King

Administrator
Staff Member
Sep 9, 2010
You could always borrow KBD's gag ball and strap.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic