Latest Member
pbtom
What's New?

mountain dog philosophy, bis/chest

myosaurus

myosaurus

TID Board Of Directors
Sep 21, 2010
his theory of doing hams before squats worked wonders for my squats and knee health. just wondering if same philosophy will work for doing bicep before bench press? I've read lee Haney did this years ago. theoretically I can see it easing shoulder or elbow pain on bench press doing this way. anyone tried it before?
for example:
1. standing BB curl 4 x 8-10
2. machine preacher curl 4 x 15(with 20 partial reps on last set)
3. bench press
and so on...

Bullmuscle7

Bullmuscle7

MuscleHead
Jun 11, 2014
I had the privilege of working with John.

Everything he says is spot on. He is a true master of the sport.

You can trust 100% whatever he says

myosaurus

myosaurus

TID Board Of Directors
Sep 21, 2010
I had the privilege of working with John.

Everything he says is spot on. He is a true master of the sport.

You can trust 100% whatever he says

thank you for reply... the above mentioned theory(bis/chest) is not John's idea though. it's my educated guess assuming that if it works on hams/squats, why not bis/tris..

S

storman230

Jan 7, 2012
idk if i would do a full bicept workout before chest. I just dont see it really helping. Maybe your on to something that i havent thought of before.
I do however sometimes do a few sets of lat pulldown with big stretch at the top before benching. It seems to loosen me up without taking away any power

Go Away

Go Away

MuscleHead
Dec 28, 2011
idk if i would do a full bicept workout before chest. I just dont see it really helping. Maybe your on to something that i havent thought of before.
I do however sometimes do a few sets of lat pulldown with big stretch at the top before benching. It seems to loosen me up without taking away any power

There's a dude that rarely lifts at my gym and swears by doing curls before bench. He's like 140 and supposedly has benched 405 for reps. And he has a really cool parting phrase for whenever he's going home: "Take your time." Not as in "slow down", but as in "make your time your own." I can dig it.

alpha

alpha

VIP Member
May 1, 2012
You have to keep in mind that the philosophy of doing direct isolated hamstring work before your squats is priming a muscle group that is actually used during hip extension movements such as the squat. The bicep on the other hand doesn't correlate well in this this same scenario because it doesn't have an active workload or any resistance in elbow extension. Not saying that direct bicep work wont help prime the elbow joint itself through synovial activation etc but the philosophy behind it would be a much different action.

Mike_RN

Mike_RN

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Aug 13, 2013
Maybe more of a pre-exhaust the chest first with Flies and/or Wide grip press before training Bench. Since Delts/Tris take the brunt of the work for many benchers, this could help chest growth.

shortz

shortz

Beard of Knowledge VIP
May 6, 2013
You have to keep in mind that the philosophy of doing direct isolated hamstring work before your squats is priming a muscle group that is actually used during hip extension movements such as the squat. The bicep on the other hand doesn't correlate well in this this same scenario because it doesn't have an active workload or any resistance in elbow extension. Not saying that direct bicep work wont help prime the elbow joint itself through synovial activation etc but the philosophy behind it would be a much different action.

I had a similar reply, but yers sounded way smrtr

ajdonutz

ajdonutz

VIP Member
May 23, 2012
I've been doing it with bis before triceps as I always have problems from elbow issues and crap on skullcrushers and all, it has DEFINITELY worked. Seems to warm up my arm enough to where I don't have the pain I used to have doing triceps. I would definitely imagine it would also work for chest since it helps with my dips and close grip

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic