Latest Member
Kiddorism
What's New?

Modified carb cycling.

SAD

SAD

TID Board Of Directors
Feb 3, 2011
I've been running the CKG for 3 weeks now and I have lost a fair amount of fat and retained the majority, if not all, of my mass.* However, I am not recovering like I'd like to, despite some super-supplement help, and my workouts are garbage by the end of the week.* The carb-load helps, but not enough to last me past Tuesday, and while I understand that this is a necessary evil of the CKD, I don't think it's the best way for me personally to eat on a cutting cycle.
So here's my proposed eating routine.* It's very general, but I'd like to get a few opinions before I plan it out to a tee.
Monday -* Push -* 300-350g clean carbs, 250-300g protein, 50-75g healthy fats.
Tuesday -* Pull**-* SAME AS MONDAY
Wednesday -* OFF* -* 100-125g clean carbs, 250-300g protein, 50-75g healthy fats.
Thursday -* OFF* -* SAME AS WEDNESDAY
Friday -* Push* -* SAME AS MONDAY
Saturday*-* Pull* -SAME AS MONDAY
Sunday* -** OFF* -* SAME AS WEDNESDAY
Monday -**OFF* -* ETC ETC
So basically two days on followed by two days off training schedule.* High carbs on training days, low carbs on off days.* So every 7 days will have 4 high, 3 low.* If I start to put on fat, at all, I will just lessen the amount of carbs on high days.
Thoughts?

huntlo

huntlo

Apr 9, 2011
I know this a modified CKD but its just a thought.

Your setup looks good, but I think you may want to up your carbs. The reason you may be recovering as would like may be due to the fact your glycogen levels are too low by the end of the week. You load the first two day but you also lift on those days so the glycogen stored in your muscles allow for effective workouts. On your off days when you could be refilling your glycogen stores, you significantly reduce you carb intake so when you go the gym Friday and Saturday your body doesn't have the reserves it needs to produce enough energy for intense training. Also, if you start putting on fat, you want to look at reducing your protein intake. A gram of protein has the same amount of calories as a gram of carbs (4C/g), but your body would rather use carbs for providing energy and storing protein to rebuild muscle tissue.

SAD

SAD

TID Board Of Directors
Feb 3, 2011
I was thinking that while 100-125g on my low days is fairly low, it was still enough to help store glycogen, especially in light of the carb load on the two previous days. Close to half of those carbs on working days is immediately before and after the workout, so replenishing the glycogen stores begins right after the workout and continues until close to bedtime. I've been running this for a week and a half now, and I may have put on a pound or two of fat, but nothing at all significant, and the energy is WAY up in the gym. Pumps have come back with a vengeance, and I believe that I'm gaining muscle at a rate similar to an all out bulk. I'll know better by the time I finish this short run up, but I like what I have seen so far. Thanks for the response huntlo, (and how dare you suggest cutting back on the protein, I'm 234lbs! :D ).

goldy

goldy

Chutzpah VIP
Jan 17, 2011
If your only goal is to shed fat, suck it up, have shitty workouts and keep to the CKD, nothing works faster IMHO. To get into ketosis, carbs should be less than 100G per day according to the science. i still think the carbs are a bit high personally. I would use ALA and possibly some chromium with your carb meals either way you go. when you were on CKD, what were your cheat meals or days looking like?

Have you ever read lyle's keto pdf\book? want a copy?

goldy

goldy

Chutzpah VIP
Jan 17, 2011
I've been running this for a week and a half now, and I may have put on a pound or two of fat, but nothing at all significant, and the energy is WAY up in the gym. Pumps have come back with a vengeance, and I believe that I'm gaining muscle at a rate similar to an all out bulk. I'll know better by the time I finish this short run up, but I like what I have seen so far. Thanks for the response huntlo, (and how dare you suggest cutting back on the protein, I'm 234lbs! :D ).
Thats probably from the glycogen super compensation bc you just came off keto, doesn't last too long..... 2-3 weeks tops in my experience...

SAD

SAD

TID Board Of Directors
Feb 3, 2011
If your only goal is to shed fat, suck it up, have shitty workouts and keep to the CKD, nothing works faster IMHO. To get into ketosis, carbs should be less than 100G per day according to the science. i still think the carbs are a bit high personally. I would use ALA and possibly some chromium with your carb meals either way you go. when you were on CKD, what were your cheat meals or days looking like?

Have you ever read lyle's keto pdf\book? want a copy?

I've read an article by Lyle that I posted here, but not an entire pdf. I would love to leaf through it, thanks. As far as my cheat day on CKD, I would load up on simple sugars after my Friday workout, mostly from fruits and starchy potatoes. Then all day Saturday, I would eat massive amounts of complex carbs, ~700-900g, and keep fat to a minimum, as per lyle's recommendations. Protein stayed between 250-300g, which is between 1 and 1.5g per pound for me. My muscles would feel full during the last half of saturday and all day sunday, and workouts on monday and tuesday were pretty good, but after that I crashed hard. Although, I will say that I took the keto very seriously, and I was nowhere near 100g of carbs. I felt guilty if I hit 40g, and I kept a very close eye on exactly how many grams of carbs I was getting. I had days where I managed to keep it under 20g, all from broccoli and spinach.

Shoot me a pm and I'll give you an email to send that pdf to. Thanks goldy.

huntlo

huntlo

Apr 9, 2011
(and how dare you suggest cutting back on the protein, I'm 234lbs! :D ).

If your only goal is to shed fat, suck it up, have shitty workouts ?

I know how stupid of me to suggest a reduction in protein, what was I thinking.:confused: hahaha

I've just never been a fan of cutting carbs. I know they allow you to shred fat
but to me shitty workouts is like having really bad sex. What's the point? I would
rather keep the extra pounds and pack on the muscle!

Good luck with the diet

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic