Latest Member
pbtom
What's New?

Metformin xr

ajdonutz

ajdonutz

VIP Member
May 23, 2012
Anyone have experience timing metformin xr around cheat meals? Got some metformin and when it came in turned out to be the xr version..

aragorn1500

aragorn1500

Jun 7, 2013
Just my .02 cents, make sure you have lots of toilet paper. When I took this stuff all it did was tear up my gastrointestinal tract.

FlyingDragon

FlyingDragon

VIP Member
Nov 4, 2010
^^^^ Depends on the dosage

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Don't usually see intestinal issues at like 500mg... I haven't used the XR though. If it's extended release I would suppose it wouldn't matter so much when you took it so long as it's that day? I wouldn't use the XR personally though unless I was on a keto diet.

Warrior45

Warrior45

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 9, 2012
Just like anything else with side effects you have to work your way up in dose. Take it a half hour before your cheat and you will be good. When I first start it I always have gastro sides for the first couple times, but then it quickly subsides. I use it on high carb days year round.

ajdonutz

ajdonutz

VIP Member
May 23, 2012
Just like anything else with side effects you have to work your way up in dose. Take it a half hour before your cheat and you will be good. When I first start it I always have gastro sides for the first couple times, but then it quickly subsides. I use it on high carb days year round.
This is with the xr extended release version?

TenaciousA

TenaciousA

TID Lady Member
Mar 31, 2013
Don't usually see intestinal issues at like 500mg... I haven't used the XR though. If it's extended release I would suppose it wouldn't matter so much when you took it so long as it's that day? I wouldn't use the XR personally though unless I was on a keto diet.

It's actually a common misconception that metformin somehow blocks the absorption of carbohydrates from your system around here. It absolutely does not do that. Its mechanism of action is to decrease hepatic glucose output that's usually seen with insulin signaling dysfunction and diabetes.

The immediate release metformin is designed to Peak in about 2 to 3 hours with a 6-hour half life, and it's just multiple times a day to manage glucose output from the liver coupled with glucose intake from the god. The XR is designed to be taken once a day, and doesn't really peek so it's really not good for cheat meal. If that's all that you have you can consider breaking it in half which would mimic the immediate relesse.

if you want something that slows the absorption of carbohydrates in your gut there's a class of medications called Alphaglucosidase inhibitors, brand name Glyset and Precose. Will metformin will give you the shits, these two drugs will give you equally gross side effects of mad gas.

There's also a drug called orlistat that inhibits an enzyme that breaks down fat in your small intestine that can be taken around cheap meals also, but the fact that's not absorb comes out through your guts as well.

I'm definitely not a fan of using drugs to overcome the food that you ate, if you're going to cheat hard you might as well just deal with the fact that you're going to be a hot spot for a little bit and feel like shit. You're making that conscious decision to deal with it.

shortz

shortz

Beard of Knowledge VIP
May 6, 2013
I have never been able to find a dose of Metformin that didn't cause me explosive diarrhea. It's a side effect in a very large % of people.

Metformin is great for two things; preventing and reversing metabolic syndrome/type II diabetes. I am at risk (family history and fatty liver), so I started taking it and could not deal with the diarrhea. It was literally disruptive and destructive to my life.

The use of metformin for anything else, especially fat loss, is not going to do anything, as already mentioned by Tenacious. It won't do anything with a one time use either.

Warrior45

Warrior45

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 9, 2012
Many top level bodybuilders use metformin to maintain insulin sensitivity during the offseason on days when not using insulin, and also during contest prep to mitigate insulin resistance from chronic use of growth hormone. 500mgs of the regular release twice a day seems to be what works for most, but I have known guys to use up to 1000mgs twice a day. Again, these are high level bodybuilders not your average joe forum poster.

John Meadows has said he takes Metformin year round....and you will not find many guys that get as lean as him. I am not saying that metformin causes fat loss, but any drug that increases insulin sensitivity or lowers overall insulin levels will help put the body in a state to burn fat for energy.

Unfortunately, many get diarrhea when they start, but it does seem to get better in a couple weeks as long as you don't start with too high of a dose right off the bat.

Jimmyinkedup

Jimmyinkedup

Aug 22, 2012
Just my .02 cents, make sure you have lots of toilet paper. When I took this stuff all it did was tear up my gastrointestinal tract.
Yeah me too. All I have found it useful for was entering ketosis faster and even then it gives me the runs.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
It's actually a common misconception that metformin somehow blocks the absorption of carbohydrates from your system around here. It absolutely does not do that. Its mechanism of action is to decrease hepatic glucose output that's usually seen with insulin signaling dysfunction and diabetes.

The immediate release metformin is designed to Peak in about 2 to 3 hours with a 6-hour half life, and it's just multiple times a day to manage glucose output from the liver coupled with glucose intake from the god. The XR is designed to be taken once a day, and doesn't really peek so it's really not good for cheat meal. If that's all that you have you can consider breaking it in half which would mimic the immediate relesse.

if you want something that slows the absorption of carbohydrates in your gut there's a class of medications called Alphaglucosidase inhibitors, brand name Glyset and Precose. Will metformin will give you the shits, these two drugs will give you equally gross side effects of mad gas.

There's also a drug called orlistat that inhibits an enzyme that breaks down fat in your small intestine that can be taken around cheap meals also, but the fact that's not absorb comes out through your guts as well.

I'm definitely not a fan of using drugs to overcome the food that you ate, if you're going to cheat hard you might as well just deal with the fact that you're going to be a hot spot for a little bit and feel like shit. You're making that conscious decision to deal with it.

I don't think I have seen anyone say it blocks absorption of CHO. Maybe that's what the OP is asking, not sure. I use it for the exact purpose you describe. To shut off hepatic output. On a cyclical keto, there is always those couple of days where you feel like shit after your carb bonanza. Met knocks that down to one day for me, two at most.

I've also used it when I ran insulin. And I ran a fuck ton of slin. 30iu per day split pre and post workout. I got retarded with it. The bloating was incredible. SHINE had recommended I take it on off slin days as well as after coming off to maintain insulin sensitivity. It also seemed to cut back the bloating I was having.

LITTLEMAGS

LITTLEMAGS

VIP Member
Nov 1, 2010
i use met year round as well. It made a HUGE difference for me.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic