Latest Member
RalfKelleh
What's New?

Metabolic Rate Calculators

woodswise

woodswise

TID Board Of Directors
Apr 29, 2012
Anyone have a good metabolic rate calculator or formula? All the ones I find online lately give me wildly different results, and many of them don't even come close to my actual maintenance Kcals.

shortz

shortz

Beard of Knowledge VIP
May 6, 2013
That's exactly the problem with them, they have a large margin of error. The most accurate way to determine your rates is to document what you're eating and add it up manually. My fitness pal is the most popular tool to track with. I use fitday simply because it was out before MFP, I think, and I have too many custom entries to start over again

woodswise

woodswise

TID Board Of Directors
Apr 29, 2012
Thanks bud. I use fitday too.

Lately my weightloss has slowed to a stop. Part of the problem is I haven't been tight with the diet (I am eating the right foods, but some days my portions are all over the place). I guess I'll start weighing everything again to figure out what I'm eating, then adjust downward slightly.

shortz

shortz

Beard of Knowledge VIP
May 6, 2013
Thanks bud. I use fitday too.

Lately my weightloss has slowed to a stop. Part of the problem is I haven't been tight with the diet (I am eating the right foods, but some days my portions are all over the place). I guess I'll start weighing everything again to figure out what I'm eating, then adjust downward slightly.

When I am bulking, I don't track anything, I just use the mirror and scale. When I cut, everything gets measured and weighed, except for thing that have negligible calories, like tomatoes, trace amounts of marinades on meats etc.

Once you've done that, and you know exactly what you're getting, adjust, then decide if you need carb loads/refeeds. Be sure those are done properly too.

On a final note, are you having appetite issues? How many calories and macros do you think you're getting? The first couple weeks of a diet are tough, but once your body adjusts to the new caloric intake, it gets a little easier.

There are also lots of different types of diets out there too. These can def help make dieting easier when you find a diet that fits your lifestyle or body.

Be sure to let us know if you have more questions. There are also different ways to help with hunger, if that's the issue

woodswise

woodswise

TID Board Of Directors
Apr 29, 2012
Thanks. Your response is very helpful as usual.

I am not having appetite issues. I.e. I am not walking around hungry and my appetite is good. This is a keto diet and I feel full after my meals. If I feel depleted, I have some cheese, and that usually gets me feeling good again.

My problem last week was mostly portion size, but a couple of meals had some extra carbs in there (tomatoes on my chili) and coleslaw on a sausage patty. Due to living with a chef, and going out for a few meals, I have not been in complete charge of my food content or portion size. I have been good about losing the bread and easy to get rid of carbs, but when the meal has the carbs built in, it is hard to take them back out. Mostly I avoid them, but at least twice last week, I failed. I don't think I got a huge amount of extra carbs, but probably enough to come out of ketosis.

sityslicker1

sityslicker1

TID Board Of Directors
Oct 6, 2010
That's exactly the problem with them, they have a large margin of error. The most accurate way to determine your rates is to document what you're eating and add it up manually. My fitness pal is the most popular tool to track with. I use fitday simply because it was out before MFP, I think, and I have too many custom entries to start over again

The food database on myfitnesspal is awesome. It allows me to track calories and macro down to the T, but also allowing me to have variation in my diet. It has make dieting much easier and not so boring.

shortz

shortz

Beard of Knowledge VIP
May 6, 2013
Thanks. Your response is very helpful as usual.

I am not having appetite issues. I.e. I am not walking around hungry and my appetite is good. This is a keto diet and I feel full after my meals. If I feel depleted, I have some cheese, and that usually gets me feeling good again.

My problem last week was mostly portion size, but a couple of meals had some extra carbs in there (tomatoes on my chili) and coleslaw on a sausage patty. Due to living with a chef, and going out for a few meals, I have not been in complete charge of my food content or portion size. I have been good about losing the bread and easy to get rid of carbs, but when the meal has the carbs built in, it is hard to take them back out. Mostly I avoid them, but at least twice last week, I failed. I don't think I got a huge amount of extra carbs, but probably enough to come out of ketosis.

Do whatever you need to be successful, but, carbs aren't the enemy when dieting, total calories are. This is why so many different diets work, because simply put, the end result is always less calories.

I do Intermittent fasting and kind of follow an IIFYM type set up (if it fits your macros). This is really two different dieting methods. IF means i fast for 16 hours, then eat all my calories in an 8 hour window. There are different ways to do IF, but this is what I chose. Second part is basically this...if that chocolate cake doesn't break your calories or your macros needs for the day, you can eat it. If gives you some flexibility for when life gets too hard to eat perfect. It has little impact on fat loss, because you're still giving your body ONLY what it needs.

That's just an example and what I use. I have two little girls, 4 and 6, and this diet is a blessing for me. I can eat cake at all the friggin Bday parties we go to, and, fasting in the morning makes it easier because my morning is spent getting them ready for school

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic