Latest Member
Kiddorism
What's New?

maybe doing strongman contest

Meathead.

Meathead.

VIP Member
Apr 1, 2011
its end of July... some crazy events.. ive never tried before... looking forward to it if I try..

fire truck pull, Alloy deadlift, log press, rock carry..etc

dunno how ill switch up BB training for strongman because i have zero of these items to train with

stick to cleans and squats and Dls i guess

Lizard King

Lizard King

Administrator
Staff Member
Sep 9, 2010
Gain some weight, you don't look that heavy in your pic and you will need it to get that truck moving!

RR will give you some pointers.

slayer

slayer

Jun 19, 2011
its end of July... some crazy events.. ive never tried before... looking forward to it if I try..

fire truck pull, Alloy deadlift, log press, rock carry..etc

dunno how ill switch up BB training for strongman because i have zero of these items to train with

stick to cleans and squats and Dls i guess
you'd really want a while in plifting before going on to strongman mate

Rottenrogue

Rottenrogue

Strongwoman
Jan 26, 2011
I disagree.I didnt have any powerlifting background before I went into strongman.Powerlifting does help but I wouldnt say one would have to have any Pl background to do strongman.Alot of our stuff would actually favor a bb style training.Strength is only a percentage of competing. Endurance and consitioning come into play to.

Also Meathead: Julie Havelka wrote a book about strongman.Her and Todd both competed in thier first contest coming straight from gym only lifts.While i wouldnt say that is best you can still do it.

If you are truly interested I would be more than happy to pm you a couple links that will help you find a training group.Strongman crews are generally more than willing to take on new members :)

Last edited:
Mindlesswork

Mindlesswork

Crusty Poo Butt
Sep 21, 2010
Gain some weight, you don't look that heavy in your pic and you will need it to get that truck moving!

RR will give you some pointers.

RR's one strong gal and I am sure she'd get the truck moving as if it were on a greased road :D

Going into strongman is gonna be tough...have you watched strongman to see how all the events are and how comfortable you doing them, MH?

Rottenrogue

Rottenrogue

Strongwoman
Jan 26, 2011
When you say "alloy" deadlift do you mean apollons axle?

slayer

slayer

Jun 19, 2011
I disagree.I didnt have any powerlifting background before I went into strongman.Powerlifting does help but I wouldnt say one would have to have any Pl background to do strongman.Alot of our stuff would actually favor a bb style training.Strength is only a percentage of competing. Endurance and consitioning come into play to.

Also Meathead: Julie Havelka wrote a book about strongman.Her and Todd both competed in thier first contest coming straight from gym only lifts.While i wouldnt say that is best you can still do it.

If you are truly interested I would be more than happy to pm you a couple links that will help you find a training group.Strongman crews are generally more than willing to take on new members :)
interesting that you think BB background would be good for strongman?
any BB'ers who entered our PL meets usually left rather embarrassed lol. agreed that SM is an endurance event these days but i wouldnt associate that endurance style with BB

what i mean is PL is hell of a benefit in developing strength in compound exercises which translates alot into SM. all the top strongman competitors from my area all came from local PL, ususally cos they failed a drug test in PL lol.

i'll respectfully disagree with you, competitors need power and strength training and are best starting with the basics

Rottenrogue

Rottenrogue

Strongwoman
Jan 26, 2011
I do agree that it doesnt hurt to have a PL background.But I wouldnt discourage someone from doing a strongman comp just because they come from a BB background.A couple of my training partners come from strictly an oly lifting background which an interesting mix when they compete in strongman.
My training during the week is more or less geared toward PL with a 5/3/1 program and then sundays are all strongman events.

slayer

slayer

Jun 19, 2011
I do agree that it doesnt hurt to have a PL background.But I wouldnt discourage someone from doing a strongman comp just because they come from a BB background.A couple of my training partners come from strictly an oly lifting background which an interesting mix when they compete in strongman.
My training during the week is more or less geared toward PL with a 5/3/1 program and then sundays are all strongman events.
serious leg power in oly lifters!

i spose its hard to define these days, the lifting disciplines intermingle with hobby lifters and i wouldnt truly say someone was one or the other unless they compete in a style.

Rottenrogue

Rottenrogue

Strongwoman
Jan 26, 2011
Lol I completly agree with you on hobby lifters.I eat ,breathe and drink strongman(competing you pervs) .I have been competing since 2004 and still have the drive for it.I have made it all the way to WSW and hope to do so if they have it again before I am to old to compete.

slayer

slayer

Jun 19, 2011
Lol I completly agree with you on hobby lifters.I eat ,breathe and drink strongman(competing you pervs) .I have been competing since 2004 and still have the drive for it.I have made it all the way to WSW and hope to do so if they have it again before I am to old to compete.
yeah, a good friend of mine who i knew through plifting, made it to WSW, and then went on to make waves in BB. unfortunately she passed away young.

i competed PL for 17yr but cant bench anymore, rotator cuffs are fooked up. might go do afew dlift comps though

Rottenrogue

Rottenrogue

Strongwoman
Jan 26, 2011
Ah I know who you are talking about it.I was saddened by the news .

It definetly takes it toll.Hell I am at the point that it is a game of keeping healthy and injury free just as much as it training for strength.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic