Latest Member
pbtom
What's New?

May be going under the knife

The other Snake

The other Snake

VIP Member
Aug 19, 2016
I pushed my flat and decline work almost up to failure last night. My shoulder is now grumpy with me.

BovaJP

BovaJP

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Feb 15, 2013
Hey TOS, how goes it? Hope all is well.

The other Snake

The other Snake

VIP Member
Aug 19, 2016
I'm progressing cautiously. The mirror is much kinder to me the last month.

T

Therealkiller

VIP Member
Sep 18, 2019
Yeah, I should have waited ... but it had been so long. Kinda like just the tip! LOL But you are right, a couple more weeks is nothing.

I got an MRI. The tendon did not rupture, the screw is in place in the humerus. Kinda cool as it also showed the rotator cuff repair was successful and has full blood supply. I tore my biceps.

After 4 weeks I went back to the gym light and everything has been fine! And on I have started to incorporate some legs with no quad issue.

Yesterday I did 45 lb inc db press, the first time I have done that since 9/18! Before the bicep incident I was using machines for those 3 weeks (for the most part) as I could not us my leg to stabilize.

Snake - Great that your are back and the mirror is kinder. It is the same mirror, right? ;) One day at a time!

The other Snake

The other Snake

VIP Member
Aug 19, 2016
I bought one of those funhouse mirrors prior to surgery, just in case.

The other Snake

The other Snake

VIP Member
Aug 19, 2016
This last week has been odd. I stopped stretching the shoulder and only do it before chest and legs. Maybe it's just that more time has passed but I'm thinking I may have been over stretching.

Anyone have some thought on this?

The other Snake

The other Snake

VIP Member
Aug 19, 2016
UPDATE:

I'm now 8 months out post op. Shoulder feels pretty good during my normal day and a little stiff the day after the gym if the workout involves the shoulder. Progress has been way slower then expected but it is progressing. I feel at the 12 month mark, this will be nothing but a bad memory.

6 months ago I had lost almost 1 1/2" off that arm. I have now gained 1" of that back so I fell much better. The new shoulder work I put in has developed my traps beyond where they ever have been so there's something good that has come of this.

Thanks for checking in!

BovaJP

BovaJP

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Feb 15, 2013
UPDATE:

I'm now 8 months out post op. Shoulder feels pretty good during my normal day and a little stiff the day after the gym if the workout involves the shoulder. Progress has been way slower then expected but it is progressing. I feel at the 12 month mark, this will be nothing but a bad memory.

6 months ago I had lost almost 1 1/2" off that arm. I have now gained 1" of that back so I fell much better. The new shoulder work I put in has developed my traps beyond where they ever have been so there's something good that has come of this.

Thanks for checking in!

So glad to hear TOS.....it certainly is a slow AF pace.....but you have kept at it and doing the right things, and that is most important. Slow and steady wins this race!

R

rawdeal

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 29, 2013
UPDATE: . . . The new shoulder work I put in has developed my traps beyond where they ever have been so there's something good that has come of this.

T. o. Snake ... before the injury you'd been training for a long time and presumably done a lot of different things in training.

So what was this "new shoulder work?"

The other Snake

The other Snake

VIP Member
Aug 19, 2016
T. o. Snake ... before the injury you'd been training for a long time and presumably done a lot of different things in training.

So what was this "new shoulder work?"

Aren't you big enough? lol

Well no real secret here but since the labrum was compromised, I didn't think shrugs would end well and side laterals were definitely out. So I modified the movement with a wide grip lower cable shrug. I turned the lat bar upside down and pulled to my upper abs. The motion is killer and high reps of 20 are the ticket. No more need to shrug 100's of lbs.

Give it a try if you never did it. I'm not the dude that tries the new "Flavor of the month" exercise or youtubing every BB and what (s)he does for this or that. This came from my own need to hit shoulders and trap without raising my arm above shoulder height. If you try it, give it its due. It took awhile for me to see improvements. Let me know how ya make out.

R

rawdeal

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 29, 2013
Lol, I'm at the point in my timeline where rehabbing and/or avoiding the need to rehab have become more important than more size or heavier weights.

What you describe sounds like a wide grip upright row, done only half-way up. I've done that on the Smith machine, and I have done full upright rows with the low pulley and the 18" rope commonly used for triceps.

What about your grip; was that lat bar a straight one, or one of those with circles at the ends so that your hands face each other?
And how about the angle ... did you stand close to the low pulley so your pull was close to vertical, or did you step back a little so there was a rearward component to your upward pull?

Wondering too if the biggest benefit for you was the new movement or the change from lower, heavier reps to lighter 20 rep sets. "Wondering," not arguing.

The other Snake

The other Snake

VIP Member
Aug 19, 2016
What you describe sounds like a wide grip upright row, done only half-way up.
Something like that but being wide, it is all the way up. The shoulder girdle can not move any further so the ROM looks short but is complete
What about your grip; was that lat bar a straight one, or one of those with circles at the ends so that your hands face each other?
And how about the angle ... did you stand close to the low pulley so your pull was close to vertical, or did you step back a little so there was a rearward component to your upward pull?

My lat pull down bar is angled on the end so when inverted with the palms facing you, the pinky is higher then the pointer finger. I do not stand onto of the pulley; I'm looking for that up and back motion that really hits the traps.

Wondering too if the biggest benefit for you was the new movement or the change from lower, heavier reps to lighter 20 rep sets. "Wondering," not arguing.
Nope, but good thought process on your part. I always did 15-20 for trap work so that's out of the equation.

One thing I should add is this works well into my program. Shoulders are hit after chest and before tris, therefore it's a must for me to take out as much bicep as possable in any movement. Back and bis are hit 2 day later and I'm big on recovery.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic