pbtom
What's New?

May be going under the knife

The other Snake

The other Snake

VIP Member
Aug 19, 2016
Safety squat bar?
Or cheaper option, spud inc has a strap that attaches to any barbell.
Great idea and it has been considered but here's where I'm at. I want a chance to one day be able to handle some of the weight I use to use. To do that, I will need to back to my squatting form and that requires a low bar. I'm hoping by stretching 2x/day and pushing the issue on squats, I can get it to happen. My fear is that I will get too comfortable with a safety bar that I never move forward.

Funny because your suggestion would be what I would tell anyone in my circumstance.

BackAtIt

BackAtIt

MuscleHead
Oct 3, 2016
Great idea and it has been considered but here's where I'm at. I want a chance to one day be able to handle some of the weight I use to use. To do that, I will need to back to my squatting form and that requires a low bar. I'm hoping by stretching 2x/day and pushing the issue on squats, I can get it to happen. My fear is that I will get too comfortable with a safety bar that I never move forward.

Funny because your suggestion would be what I would tell anyone in my circumstance.

*LOL*...This is exactly how I feel, bro!...I don't think I have/can accept my disability!!!...I get so tired of being in this condition!...I keep hoping I will at some point go into the gym and something will *pop* (for the good of course) and it will be over and I and get back to lifting like a man again!...All I do is mess around with stretching then go into machine work...Really sucks when u are use to free weights and being able to lift a decent amount of iron...I don't how many times a day I have to stop myself from giving up, but, I guess with me doing this for so long now, that ain't happening!...

I didn't read whole thread...Have u had surgery or still contemplating it?...

Last edited:
The other Snake

The other Snake

VIP Member
Aug 19, 2016
Glad u made it!....Are u out of pain?...

More a stiffness now then anything. Benching is not bad but only like 155-185 for 12. And get out of your groove and she lets ya know it.

BackAtIt

BackAtIt

MuscleHead
Oct 3, 2016
More a stiffness now then anything. Benching is not bad but only like 155-185 for 12. And get out of your groove and she lets ya know it.

Good u're not in pain!...I would imagine over time the stiffness will dissipate to some degree....Keep on, keeping on!....

hawkeye

hawkeye

VIP Member
Sep 19, 2011
I think the biggest issue is the surgery vs no surgery is what your goals and what you anticipate or desire to do after. I had bicep tendon repair from a tendon and bicep rupture from deadlifting. Obviously, it was a must do. I have function of it probably 85-90% but like you mentioned, it lets you know if things get out of line. Its been at least 5-6 years and I would say its the best its going to be. At some point, you have to accept some level of limitations and work within those guidelines. Hang in there and keep grinding. Something is better than nothing in my book.

T

Therealkiller

VIP Member
Sep 18, 2019
Good to hear snake! Glad you are moving along. How are the squats going?

I have encountered a ... setback.... I did 3 sets for each upper body part (as my knee heals) for 2 weeks. Then switched to a more standard body part split. Things went well for a week. On the 9th, I hit chest and bis. On the 10th I did supported OH DB press, which were fine and I used 35 lbs comfortably, then moved on to cable laterals. On the first rep I slightly strained my repaired long head of the biceps. Left the gym. On the 14th I hit chest (I wasn't in pain and wasn't going to do any elbow flexion). I figured shrugs would be ok.. I picked up the dumbell and ruptured my long head repair. There is quite a deformity. I have a MRI on the 2nd (my 5th in 6 months... sigh) and reading on the 4th. So, yeah...

I was over 5 months post op.

The other Snake

The other Snake

VIP Member
Aug 19, 2016
Good to hear snake! Glad you are moving along. How are the squats going?

I have encountered a ... setback.... I did 3 sets for each upper body part (as my knee heals) for 2 weeks. Then switched to a more standard body part split. Things went well for a week. On the 9th, I hit chest and bis. On the 10th I did supported OH DB press, which were fine and I used 35 lbs comfortably, then moved on to cable laterals. On the first rep I slightly strained my repaired long head of the biceps. Left the gym. On the 14th I hit chest (I wasn't in pain and wasn't going to do any elbow flexion). I figured shrugs would be ok.. I picked up the dumbell and ruptured my long head repair. There is quite a deformity. I have a MRI on the 2nd (my 5th in 6 months... sigh) and reading on the 4th. So, yeah...

I was over 5 months post op.
Thank you, I am moving forward. I think my physique will be back long before my strength. Right now, and maybe from here on out, the big weights heed to stay on the wight tree.

That's some bad shit right there with that tear. This is just me but I have a hard and fast rule about any injuries. Just a small strain will have me walk away from the gym for 2 weeks. Good chance over training was a contributor to the injury anyway. When I say 2 weeks, that's nothing for 2 weeks; nothing! When I get back it's light, like 135 light.

R

rawdeal

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 29, 2013
There is wisdom in other posts of yours, but that 3rd sentence may be your best work.

Last edited:
The other Snake

The other Snake

VIP Member
Aug 19, 2016
Mile marker

Though the gym training has been modified to get more out of less weight and some attack angles have changed, I thought I gained some ground back. I'm a record keeper, everything goes in the books so yesterday, I got out the tape. Seems I'm back up to my pre-surgery size in almost every measurement. Always wanted to say I put an inch on my arms but taking it off in the first place was no way to do it.

BovaJP

BovaJP

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Feb 15, 2013
Mile marker

Though the gym training has been modified to get more out of less weight and some attack angles have changed, I thought I gained some ground back. I'm a record keeper, everything goes in the books so yesterday, I got out the tape. Seems I'm back up to my pre-surgery size in almost every measurement. Always wanted to say I put an inch on my arms but taking it off in the first place was no way to do it.

Thats great dude. Progress!

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic