What's New?

Made this last weekend for my son's 8th birthday

MR. BMJ

MR. BMJ

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Sep 21, 2011
Looks great!
Hey err uhmmmm I just had a birthday too ya know;)

Keys for the cabin are behind the big Granger clock hanging on the deck, and the gate key is on the back of the HUGE tamarack on the left at the begining of the old forestry rd.
Only about 6 0r 7 feet of snow up there right now..lol

Haha...you guys are welcome anytime! Though......that means you may have to take a trip to the country of......CALIFORNIA:oops::oops::oops::cool::p

MorganKane

MorganKane

VIP Member
Nov 12, 2012
Pulled pork using Malcolm Reed's recipe and style of cooking the butts/shoulders. Slathered them with yellow mustard and Malcom's Hot Rub, then cooked them at 250F in my RecTec for about 4.5 hrs. After that, I placed the butts into a half foil pan each, poured some of Malcom's Vinegar BBQ sauce all over them, and then I wrapped with foil and baked them in the oven at 250F until they reached 200F internal. Took them out, coated the butts with a 50/50 mix of the vinegar BBQ sauce and some Sweet Ray's Honey BBQ sauce back in the smoker for 15-20 minutes. I was supposed to take more pictures, but was feeling the pressure of getting at the rest of the food done that day, lol.

Also cooked....Stuffed Jalapenos, ground beef crock pot enchiladas, grilled BBQ Polish sausages, a tortellini mixed salad, bought like 6 extra pizzas for the kiddos (hence the Little Caeser's pizza's on the other pizza thread, lol), chips/dip, cake, ice cream.....and I had some Copenhagen:D

Love pulled pork.
Probably my favorite thing to smoke.

I have a Bradley electric smoker.
Is a lot to like about it but one big issues I have is the heating element is too small.
Takes too long to get back to heat after opening the door or inserting the meat :)

Been looking at the ReqTec smoker.
Wouldnt mind picking up a RT-700
How are you liking yours?

rAJJIN

rAJJIN

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 30, 2011
I did t know you had a son that young!
Happy birthday to him. I hope he had a good one.

The country of California :)
Comes with a lot of good and bad eh?

MR. BMJ

MR. BMJ

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Sep 21, 2011
I did t know you had a son that young!
Happy birthday to him. I hope he had a good one.

The country of California :)
Comes with a lot of good and bad eh?

Hey raj! Yea, my son is 8, and I have a daughter who just turned 5 a few months back...lol. I'm not going bald, but i'm getting more gray:(:) heh heh heh!

Yea my man, Cali is a beautiful state, it has everything, both good and bad. The mountain ranges out here are awesome, nice beaches, decent rivers and lakes, decent fishing and hunting if you know where to go, awesome redwood forests, a mix of redneck/roughneck and city life people, farming, food is outstanding and plentiful depending where you are at, smoking hot women, amusement parks, professional sports teams, and depending on where you are at, the weather is decent. Winter here is cold, but not freezing during the winter (though it snows in the mountain areas), I hardly wear a jacket at all, and get by with just a sweater most of the winter, unless i'm going into mountain areas, or at windy beaches. Summer can suck balls....it gets hot like a lot of places 100+ days, and can get above 110 degrees in the middle of summer....again, depending on where you are at. Cali is huge, it can be divided in at least 3 zones....southern cali (LA and San Diego areas with decent beaches, food and culture), central cali (mostly agriculture, oilfields, blue-collar jobs, and our redneck areas lol), and northern cali (San Jose, SF, Sacramento and up through Redding areas...and again food and culture). Beaches are colder the more north you go, but it gets greener....though the mountain ranges lay all along the whole eastern part of the state and of course at the top/northern part. It has the benefits of everything if you just look at it from this aspect and nothing else. Also, cost of living in some areas, mostly central cali, is pretty good. There is always something to do here....well, at least pre-Covid:( Gyms are decent and plentiful in most of the state....some places better than others like most states. In Cen-Cal, you can be away from a lot of the political crap, and if you need anything, it's just an hour or two drive to get somewhere like the beach, cities, food, and mountains. Were no Texas/KC/NC, but we have good tri-tips:D

The bad....ugh, HUGE taxes on everything, SoCal/NorCal can get expensive to live in, huge restrictions on hunting and fishing and wildlife in general....like excessive, Illegal immigration, welfare/entitlement programs that are raped up the rear and taken advantage of, traffic is bad in larger cities and now even smaller city areas, crime is horrendous in a lot of areas, too many retarded laws, and bad drivers. Schools can be hit and miss as well. You have complete nut-jobs in a lot of areas....like 100x-fold than other states. If you go to SF, LA, Santa Monica etc, areas, you will see every type of weirdo imaginable. I like the environment and stuff, but you have environmental extremist nutjobs ruining the state. I can handle 'some' regulations to help the environment, but it's so excessive out here, it's just a matter of time before you get a fine by looking at a dog the wrong way. You have huge tree-huggers out here, and of course we have the lame ban on plastic straws in a lot areas. I could never live in any of the larger cities around here, I did during college, but had to get the hell out once I was done. I only go to them now for food trips, visiting friends, and some amusement parks and stuff. Actually, I could live in San Diego to a degree, but it is $$$$$.

Here's the thing, if you are a democrat, you will love the state....for the most part. If you are republican, you really have to look at the good, and find ways to ignore the bad. It is by far a liberal state....like Illinois, NY, etc. That said, it's so far left (in the loony area on government and the laws), that even a lot of dems are leaving.

But yea, I try to keep it fun for the kiddos. If it weren't for job opportunities being poor in my field, i'd be up around the mountain areas living it up full time with a home built gym looking for bigfoot:D lol!

I'm sure both Bio and Pesty could fill in a lot too....I keep forgetting Pesty moved though, lol.

MR. BMJ

MR. BMJ

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Sep 21, 2011
Love pulled pork.
Probably my favorite thing to smoke.

I have a Bradley electric smoker.
Is a lot to like about it but one big issues I have is the heating element is too small.
Takes too long to get back to heat after opening the door or inserting the meat :)

Been looking at the ReqTec smoker.
Wouldnt mind picking up a RT-700
How are you liking yours?

Yea brother, I love my rectec! It's been the best investment i've made or bought in many years now. Most smokers are kickass and get the job done, but I went with rectec for a few reasons...

1) They have great temp control. They can keep the target temp +/-5 degress, whereas something like Traegars (a great smoker btw) are higher at like +/-15-20.
2) The rectec is all made of steel, so no rusting or corroding.
3) 6 year warranty.
4) Phenomenal customer service. These guys love what they do, and they live it daily.
5) You can download their app, and sit on your recliner and view the smoker temp, and the probed internal temps, without even getting up.

I went with the smaller rt-340 because the legs can fold down and you can take it with you for tail-gating and picnics pretty easy. Outside of parties, or maybe smoking larger game like whole hogs, it does everything I need....though my 22# turkey barely fit in it this last T-giving, lol.

If you have a larger family that loves meat/poulty, then you may need the larger 590 or 720 series smokers. If you are gonna cater for a large family event or party, then the larger smokers are probably a must....like multiple pork butts, briskets, whole chickens, whole hogs, etc.

I can see now how smoking and BBQ'ing can get super expensive. A pellet smoker can bring you everything, except a charcoal taste. For that, I can use my old hand-feed babying smoker, or my Santa Fe grill....but they take a lot of time to manage. So maybe having a drum smoker, or something similar that can give semi-accurate readings will be cool to have every now and then.

This was my first pork butt run, and it was my best ever. The only thing i'd do different is maybe hold it in a dry ice chest for an hour or two after reaching 200F. It's not needed, but helps some. I didn't have time for it though on this day. Pork butts/shoulders are so easy to cook, which makes them a favorite, lol. A lot of the internal fats render out, and the pulling process is pretty easy. As long as you have a good probe and hit 190'ish to 200, you will have a good pork butt doing minimal work.

I've cooked a lot of chicken on it, and it does awesome. The T-giving turkey was the easiest and best i've ever done, same with smoked chili, ribs, etc. The only thing i've not yet done is a brisket. I need to get one done before meat prices begin to go up:(

IMO, you can't go wrong with rectec if you can afford them. I've seen people get a lemon, and they just send out a whole new smoker....it's rare, so they are able to do it. They have the best customer service ever imo.

Tomas Payne

Tomas Payne

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2014
Response to BMJ - At quick glance in a cursory read - The way you spelled ReqTeq - (Rectec) I thought it was some machine for checking the prostate)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lizard King

Lizard King

Administrator
Staff Member
Sep 9, 2010
I have a Masterbuilt propane smoker and love it. Just threw a 12lb pork shoulder on this morning with apple and hickory wood.

Did split chicken breast last night with cherry, came out awesome.

R

Restart

VIP Member
Jan 3, 2019
You guys make me want to get back into this now too. Bad influence. I don't think I used my 55gal drum once last summer. I put wheels on it, welded up a charcoal basket, 4" stack, 4 1/2" valves. Runs around 220 depending on how I load it and have the valves. Wife complains about smoke taste.

MR. BMJ

MR. BMJ

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Sep 21, 2011
I have a Masterbuilt propane smoker and love it. Just threw a 12lb pork shoulder on this morning with apple and hickory wood.

Did split chicken breast last night with cherry, came out awesome.

Hickory and apple are awesome together. I used a pellet blend with both of them, and some pecan, when I did my butts last weekend. They were Kingsford pellets, which I like a lot. Fukk me, I feel like cooking another shoulder/butt now!

Gonna hit up some burgers tonight using my grillmates on the smoker. The rectec can hit 500F, but I use the plates to get a hotter temp for searing,

I still need to hit up some shrimp on smoker, and a few other things like brisket.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic