pbtom
What's New?

Made this last weekend for my son's 8th birthday

MR. BMJ

MR. BMJ

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Sep 21, 2011
Pulled pork using Malcolm Reed's recipe and style of cooking the butts/shoulders. Slathered them with yellow mustard and Malcom's Hot Rub, then cooked them at 250F in my RecTec for about 4.5 hrs. After that, I placed the butts into a half foil pan each, poured some of Malcom's Vinegar BBQ sauce all over them, and then I wrapped with foil and baked them in the oven at 250F until they reached 200F internal. Took them out, coated the butts with a 50/50 mix of the vinegar BBQ sauce and some Sweet Ray's Honey BBQ sauce back in the smoker for 15-20 minutes. I was supposed to take more pictures, but was feeling the pressure of getting at the rest of the food done that day, lol.

Also cooked....Stuffed Jalapenos, ground beef crock pot enchiladas, grilled BBQ Polish sausages, a tortellini mixed salad, bought like 6 extra pizzas for the kiddos (hence the Little Caeser's pizza's on the other pizza thread, lol), chips/dip, cake, ice cream.....and I had some Copenhagen:D

Attachments

• pork7.jpg
    pork7.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 48
  • pork8.jpg
    pork8.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 51
  • pork10.jpg
    pork10.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 46
  • pork13.jpg
    pork13.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 47
  • pork15.jpg
    pork15.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 47
MR. BMJ

MR. BMJ

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Sep 21, 2011
The tortellini salad, crock pot enchiladas, sausages (had like 2-3 pans full not shown), and the wife tried to do the cake this year since the kiddo wanted a carrot cake. She makes a great carrot cake, and all the stores around here jack them up, so she decided to do it herself....though the decorating part isn't her specialty, lol.

Attachments

• tortellini salad.jpg
    tortellini salad.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 41
  • ground beef enchilada.jpg
    ground beef enchilada.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 41
  • LK's little sausage.jpg
    LK's little sausage.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 53
  • cake1.jpg
    cake1.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 40
MR. BMJ

MR. BMJ

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Sep 21, 2011
Nice @MR. BMJ . Why didn't you just leave them on the smoker till 200?

I've done that before on my old smoker. However, i've found that after 3-4'ish hours, there isn't much more smoke that is gong to add to the flavor of the meat. Malcom wraps his in foil and leaves it on his smoker (though he doesn't add more chips/wood),but i'm cheap and don't want to waste my pellets, lol! I've found finishing it off in the oven does the same exact thing, and much cheaper than running through my pellets. Also, and probably the main reason, was that I also needed to get my Jalapenos and sausages on the grill too. The jalapenos I kept at 250 for around 2 hrs, but they took up my whole grill space in the smoker. I have the small 340 rectec, so it does well, except for large volumes for parties:( I had to bust out my propane grill I hadn't used in like a year to grill up my sausages. So, a lot of the reason was to just free up space...and some also for saving money:) I have a Santa Fe style grill too I need to bust out at some point.

I should note that I also spritzed the pork every 45 minutes with a 50/50 solution of ACV/apple juice. I waited for 90 minutes before the first spritz, then q 45 minutes after that.

I like to make a lot of food so I have leftovers to eat from for a day or two or three afterward. I was pooped after cooking all day and watching over all the little turd kids, lol.

Lizard King

Lizard King

Administrator
Staff Member
Sep 9, 2010
Gotcha. I have a 4 level propane smoker so never an issue with space or pellets. Also a 6 burner Weber so really no space issues. Just need a flat top griddle between the two :)

tommyguns2

tommyguns2

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Dec 25, 2010
Hey BMJ, that looks pretty awesome!!

MR. BMJ

MR. BMJ

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Sep 21, 2011
Gotcha. I have a 4 level propane smoker so never an issue with space or pellets. Also a 6 burner Weber so really no space issues. Just need a flat top griddle between the two :)

Yea, I want a griddle too! One of those, and I want the new RecTec Bulleye Grill. The Bullseye grill can get up to 750+F, but can also be used as a smoker too. It's only $399!!!
RT-B380 Bullseye Wood Pellet Grill (recteq.com)

Right now, I have the Grill-mate plates for hotter searing for the smoker, and it works pretty good. It's only 2 plates, but it works good enough 90% of the time. Also got one of those grilling mats to help cook fish and shrimp on it without them falling between the grates, but I haven't used it yet. Actually, I may try to use it this weekend for some shrimp!

My wife and her family are Mexican, as are most of our neighbors, so having a griddle would be cool for cooking large batches of fajitas....or heck, even breakfast foods like eggs, bacon, onions/peppers, chorizo, omelets, etc. Potatos/hash browns would be nice as well.

Walmart has those Blackstone griddles on sale all the time. I'm gonna grab one at some point!

Littleguy

Littleguy

TID Board Of Directors
Sep 30, 2011
Looks great!
Hey err uhmmmm I just had a birthday too ya know;)

Keys for the cabin are behind the big Granger clock hanging on the deck, and the gate key is on the back of the HUGE tamarack on the left at the begining of the old forestry rd.
Only about 6 0r 7 feet of snow up there right now..lol

OldManStrength

OldManStrength

VIP Member
Apr 8, 2015
WTF ....MY Feelings are hurt.... where’s my invite bro..... I thought we were tight yo....

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic