Members
Latest Member
pbtom
What's New?

M.A.S.S. Training Part 1: The 5 principles of skeletal muscle hypertrophy

SHINE

Friends Remembered
Oct 11, 2010
Have you ever looked for various training programs online? Asked someone you thought was more knowledgeable to help you out with your exercise selection or write you a program ? Thumbed through magazines to see what exercise split the pro’s use? Or worse: paid good money for someone to provide you with a program? And did none of those things ever give you the edge in the gym you were hoping for? Well join the club. Just about 99% of physical culturists and fitness enthusiasts go through this exact cycle of events and come up empty. That’s because the industry has perpetuated the notion that the exercises you do and when you do them are what make the difference in the gym. In truth they only contribute about 10-15% of the whole, and usually don’t become key determinants in your success until you have attained a certain level first.

Let’s look at it briefly from the other side. How many different training programs are out there right now ? A hundred thousand ? A Million? All I know is there are new ones every day, and almost every single one has its protagonists claiming it’s the best way to train. It’s been that way for a long time, dating back to the days Arnold propagated the Weider high volume principle and Mentzer propagated Jones’ HIT style training. To this day people think its relevant to discuss which of the two was better in the 1980 Mr.Olympia. But all you can say is despite such a different training style and such great genetics, both men looked pretty damn good. Fact is, since then science has progressed, and the number of people trying to benefit from the fitness industry financially has boomed, and with them the number of opinions, the number of people trying to sell you their own unique brand of something, and the general sense of disinformation prevailing among the consumer base.

The simple truth is that despite many years, and certainly not for lack of trying, science hasn’t even come close to elucidating what constitutes the best type of training program, what the best exercises are, what the optimal training split is. And the real world results seem to confirm, in the end, the difference may be negligible. If you go to any gym and look at the people who are most successful at what they do (or compare two people at the top of the game), you’ll find that very often they have a quite different approach to volume, exercise selection and other things that make up the average training program. Do you then believe it’s feasible that you will be successful simply by copying their program if you failed to be successful previously ? First you need to consider there are other factors like nutrition, rest, genetics and possible drug use (two of which you can fix just as well, and two who shouldn’t be used as an excuse to justify a lack of progress), but all those being equal, some people simply are more successful than others, based solely on their training. Want to know the secret to their success?

Stop looking at WHAT they are doing, start looking at HOW they are doing it!

Full article ......... http://muscleandsportsscience.com/the-5-principles-of-skeletal-muscle-hypertrophy/

HDH

HDH

TID Board Of Directors
Sep 30, 2011
Awesome read man. I bookmarked the MASS site earlier today.

Until I started looking at things like this, gains were minimal. I had to find my own way of doing things and I'll say, it's pretty unique compared to anyone else I've seen throughout the years in gyms.

HDH

Braw16

Braw16

MuscleHead
Aug 8, 2012
Good read and I agree a 100% everyone is so different what works for me doesn't always mean its going to work for you. I've asked so many guys on the secret to bigger upper chest and always received a different answer I tried them until I figured out my body and what it likes.

Determined

Determined

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2012
Good read. Makes some very good points

G

GetFitOrDieLazy

Jun 13, 2013
Good article! I have never looked at it that way, the HOW instead of the WHAT!!!

F

Fury

MuscleHead
Jun 6, 2012
Good article but what we have today is shit bb who compensate shit genetics with boat loads of gear and win contest.

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

The Veganator
Dec 23, 2012
Thanks for posting that SHINE, interesting read MF.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic