Latest posts

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest Member
jacobss
What's New?

Lumbar Fusion is next. Last year my Shoulder......

silntrunin

silntrunin

MuscleHead
Aug 30, 2011
ALIF hybrid March 21st. Fuse L5/S1 and Prodisc L L4/L5. Doc said 3 months in a brace then back in the gym and start working up. At 6 mo could go sky diving if I wanted. A friend used the same docs, hybrid as well from S1 - L3. Was back squatting at 3 mo, light. Will update as I go. Glad I had the prostate HoLEP in Sept. Bladder capacity and flow like I was 20, sleep through the night (aside from L5 pain and f'd up shoulders) but one less issue to deal with.
Had the same last November myself and I'm barely doing body squats at 3 months post. But I will say it's been a lot smoother than my previous fusion, but the first one wasn't a ALIF hybrid. What's your age if you don't mind my asking? I didn't have any prostate issues prior to this last surgery but ever since I've had a hard time with capacity and flow. It would take me 5 minutes just to urinate and I could never really empty my bladder. Taking Flomax now which has helped but not sure if it's related to the surgery or not.
Good luck with your surgery, hope everything works out.

R

rawdeal

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 29, 2013
Lmao.

Never thought I'd have to concentrate to piss, but sometimes ... shit happens, and piss don't.

LOT of jokes about old men + their prostrate prostates, but often it's the bladder, not the prostate.

W

Wilson6

VIP Member
Dec 17, 2019
Lmao.

Never thought I'd have to concentrate to piss, but sometimes ... shit happens, and piss don't.

LOT of jokes about old men + their prostrate prostates, but often it's the bladder, not the prostate.
A cysto will help Dx the problem. Watching the scope try to fit between two rocks told me mine was bladder. One of my male clients had acute retention issues, scope was fine, it was his bladder. Flex cysto is simple and then treat accordingly. If the prostate is the problem, it will lead to bladder issues that are not fixable.

W

Wilson6

VIP Member
Dec 17, 2019
Had the same last November myself and I'm barely doing body squats at 3 months post. But I will say it's been a lot smoother than my previous fusion, but the first one wasn't a ALIF hybrid. What's your age if you don't mind my asking? I didn't have any prostate issues prior to this last surgery but ever since I've had a hard time with capacity and flow. It would take me 5 minutes just to urinate and I could never really empty my bladder. Taking Flomax now which has helped but not sure if it's related to the surgery or not.
Good luck with your surgery, hope everything works out.
Be 65 this month. Could be nerve related from the surgery or you've just hit the tipping point with obstruction or both. As I mentioned above, get scoped they can figure out pretty quickly where the problem is.

R

rawdeal

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 29, 2013
. . . . As I mentioned above, get scoped they can figure out pretty quickly where the problem is.
Had a T.U.R.P. a coupla yrs ago ... the so-called roto-rooter job on the prostate, so I've had a flex cysto and whatever else they do pre-surgery.

In my case, my post above about prostate-or-bladder was a self diagnosis. I had textbook comical older gentleman pee issues, I had the T.U.R.P, my situation improved post-op, but not totally.

Looking back, my Uro was an older gent himself and has since retired, I am not completely convinced he was practicing state of the art medicine.

W

Wilson6

VIP Member
Dec 17, 2019
Had a T.U.R.P. a coupla yrs ago ... the so-called roto-rooter job on the prostate, so I've had a flex cysto and whatever else they do pre-surgery.

In my case, my post above about prostate-or-bladder was a self diagnosis. I had textbook comical older gentleman pee issues, I had the T.U.R.P, my situation improved post-op, but not totally.

Looking back, my Uro was an older gent himself and has since retired, I am not completely convinced he was practicing state of the art medicine.
I did some shopping around for docs. From the various forums it was clear that having a doc that had considerable experience and was passionate about the procedure and was state-of-the-art and had state-of-the-art equipment was critical to a positive outcome. My doc is female, grounded and great personality. Did her PHD in robotics and bc urology was the area at that time using the most robotics she pursued urology for her MD. Works for a major hospital and the only one that does HoLEP at that institution and pretty much her primary practice in a very large urological group. Was excited as a kid on Christmas telling me about the new laser the clinic just purchased for her and was very impressed with the outcomes (precise to 0.5 mm). Was experienced with a variety of HoLEP procedure variations and tailored everything to the patients anatomy and prostatic issues. Did all diagnostics prior as she didn't like surprises after the patient is under. Has excellent patient reviews, colleagues respect her and interns/students fear her but love her style and her ability to teach. A very process driven clinician and carnivore in the OR. Plus she likes expensive bourbon thus a common talking point while she was running various probes into my bladder. Would recommend her to anyone that is seeking an optimal outcome.

R

rawdeal

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 29, 2013
LOL ... I remember your description of her in an earlier post, and I envied you.

I think my guy's approach to medicine was robotic too, but not in the sense hers is.

silntrunin

silntrunin

MuscleHead
Aug 30, 2011
Be 65 this month. Could be nerve related from the surgery or you've just hit the tipping point with obstruction or both. As I mentioned above, get scoped they can figure out pretty quickly where the problem is.
I see my surgeon in a few weeks for a follow up. I'll talk with him about it but I guess a scope is way overdue. Never been one to go to see a doc on a regular basis but now im getting older (61) might have to change that.
Best of luck with your upcoming surgery.

2ez

VIP Member
Feb 25, 2012
Hope everyone is well.

4 months after surgery, started PT, one month ago, Pilates 2 weeks ago, Brace not needed, Cane occasionally. Plan is to return to work by September. Contemplating if I will continue working on the floor (Nurse) or find other options. Lower back is tight. tried having sex, that didnt work out....but I gave myself an "A" for effort. She was smiling....so the effort was not a total lost. Walk is part of the recovery, so I am walking and walking: Central Park, Times Square, DUMBO Brooklyn...etc

Attachments

• brace.jpg
    brace.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 39
Thrawn

Thrawn

MuscleHead
Jun 12, 2023
Good to hear you are doing well. Fuck we are all old on this board and a few cane users also.

W

Wilson6

VIP Member
Dec 17, 2019
Now about 4 mo post op from my hybrid fusion/disc replacement. Went back to work at 7 weeks, in the gym and brace off at 12 weeks. Very carefully starting back into all exercises (pit shark no loaded squats, back supported leg presses and no DLs, just extensions). Doc didn't bother with PT. ROM is better than before surgery, no radiculopathy. DVT on the left side is slowly resolving (less swelling/redness and now mid calf instead of above the knee). Getting a CT scan to check for an incisional hernia. Can't tell if it discomfort from working abs/core again or something else. Left shoulder is trashed after falling 4 weeks post op bc of drop foot and DVT swelling locked up my ankle and toe caught the carpet. Probably looking at reverse shoulder, no other options. MRIs for both shoulders to see what's left. Cologuard was positive so colonoscopy is next. Thrawn is correct, "Fuck we are all old on this board." Perhaps old but not alone. This board is like the senior rec center, but for guys that are still fighting to stay fit vs play cards all day.

2ez

VIP Member
Feb 25, 2012
Now about 4 mo post op from my hybrid fusion/disc replacement. Went back to work at 7 weeks, in the gym and brace off at 12 weeks. Very carefully starting back into all exercises (pit shark no loaded squats, back supported leg presses and no DLs, just extensions). Doc didn't bother with PT. ROM is better than before surgery, no radiculopathy. DVT on the left side is slowly resolving (less swelling/redness and now mid calf instead of above the knee). Getting a CT scan to check for an incisional hernia. Can't tell if it discomfort from working abs/core again or something else. Left shoulder is trashed after falling 4 weeks post op bc of drop foot and DVT swelling locked up my ankle and toe caught the carpet. Probably looking at reverse shoulder, no other options. MRIs for both shoulders to see what's left. Cologuard was positive so colonoscopy is next. Thrawn is correct, "Fuck we are all old on this board." Perhaps old but not alone. This board is like the senior rec center, but for guys that are still fighting to stay fit vs play cards all day.
glad you are bouncing back my friend. Can you explain a Hybrid fusion/disc replacement. and which levels are involved.

How is your endurance/stamina and comfort with walking. with long walks, discomfort starts setting in.

with me...if i am laying on my back, i need to slide to the edge, drop my feet and either get assistance to come up....or turn on my side, then push up. at this point, i expected to be much better at the.

my surgeon keeps saying everything is in place and going well.......i just cram to understand why the freaking discomfort with walking more than 1/8 mile, 4 months postop and expected to walk 5 miles daily, consecutive days in a row for work.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 1 members watching this topic