Latest Member
pbtom
What's New?

Lower back - tissue damage

Rampage

Rampage

MuscleHead
Oct 26, 2011
About a six weeks ago I did some damage to the left side of my lower back, I was working on my conditioning, running up the stairs and I either missed a step or just landed awkwardly, I was able to finish my workout but later that day and mostly the next day, my mobility was quite limited. I went to ER a few days after cause my physician was super busy. I got some morphine pills from ER, that sort of helped but the pain was still there. I been resting since, and about a week ago I started doing some cardio (treadmill for 10-15 mins) and stretches.

When I went to ER he said it was tissue damage and will take weeks maybe months to heal :( he didn't think an X-Ray was needed.. I haven't been able to work out or play basketball and its driving me nuts now. Is there anything I can do to heal faster, I never want this pain to come back, its honestly the worst.

I am taking some Naproxin pills that the doc prescribed, and also took ibuprofen/muscle relaxant for a while too, that didn't help much. I also did place heat on it for a couple days, weeks ago but nothing recently.

R

rawdeal

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 29, 2013
Sounds like you may wanna see a more curious doc than the ER one you saw. Seems like that x-ray would not have been "too much" for a doc to order, maybe an MRI.

Might be ER doc is right and throwing pills at it is all you can do, but might also be there is more going on he didn't look for?

Rampage

Rampage

MuscleHead
Oct 26, 2011
Forgot to mention I went to my family doctor last week, he also said wait on it to heal, start some exercises/cardio, and he gave me the naproxen. I will get an x-ray done just to be safe though. Thanks

OldManStrength

OldManStrength

VIP Member
Apr 8, 2015
X-ray wont tell you anything, if its soft tissue damage. Bones are the only real things that show up. you need to get an MRI... to see if something is torn.

R

rawdeal

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 29, 2013
I was thinking an orthopedic guy more than a family doc, but you now have 2 docs concurring on cause and cure, so my advice is very "fwiw." The asymmetry you describe about galloping up the stairs makes me think disc(s) as well, but, again, I am not licensed to change bedpans let alone any of that other stuff.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
An x-ray will show some signs of disc damage but to get a more in depth look you'll want an MRI. When I thought I had done damage to my hips/lower back I saw a guy at my gym who is a well known chiro who took several x-rays and was able to rule out disk damage, hips out of alignment, etc. He worked on me and was able to tell that I had injured my right erector and so he was able to work on me which helped me heal, I took some time off, and also even took some anti inflam's.

Rampage

Rampage

MuscleHead
Oct 26, 2011
Will schedule for an MRI then tomorrow. I feel like my doctor won't let me get it though, he always says I'm fine -.- If it was disc pain wouldn't it be continious pain at all times? Like right now I can do cardio without pain for most parts

Rampage

Rampage

MuscleHead
Oct 26, 2011
Went to my doctor today and asked him to schedule me a MRI but he said I don't need it.... he said a physiotherapist and stretching/light weight squats and deadlifts to build up my lower back strength will help.

OldManStrength

OldManStrength

VIP Member
Apr 8, 2015
Thats shit.... your doc obliviously works for the insurance company not for you. I would not care if his opinion is your back needs physio, he cant see whats wrong in there. I would fight for the MRI, and if nothing is wrong, great, then you know the physio will work, and not do more damage.

Just my 2c, from an old guy who has fired quite a few doctors for being idiots.

Rampage

Rampage

MuscleHead
Oct 26, 2011
I live in Canada, I think the doctors are quite independent here.. he said from the pain i described it doesn't have anything to do with the spine or bones, its mostly tissue damage he said. I told him I'd sue him if my back gets really fucked cause he's not letting me do the MRI, he said sure. I'll go back to him if its not 100% in the next one or two weeks. Thanks

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic