Latest Member
pbtom
What's New?

Lower back injury and sciatica

daman1

daman1

VIP Member
Jul 25, 2016
Had a question for any out there. I recently re injured my lower back about two weeks ago. In addition to the lower back pain, I've redeveloped extreme sciatica pain. It will shoot down my right leg and make even walking unbearable. I am in need of anyone out there who's had this and can shed some light on how to get rid of this sciatic pain. Thanks.

I

imuscle

VIP Member
Oct 1, 2013
Sorry to hear about your recent injury. First I would get a MRI to see whats really going on to see how bad it is and what disc and how many etc.

Things that have helped my sciatica in the past is. 1. Chiro 2. Bought a Inversion Table ( Costco) 3. Use my pull up bar to hang. ( relax release your air and hang let the lower back release you may hear popping etc) 3. Foam roller. 4 Liquid Advils. If all else fails and your still in pain you could look into Cortisone shot ( camera guided) and or Fusion Surgery ( that would be the last resort and if all else failed and if it would get your life back)

Hope this helps!

daman1

daman1

VIP Member
Jul 25, 2016
Thank you for thw reply. I've done everything on your list but the surgery. I have an inversion table also.

rAJJIN

rAJJIN

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 30, 2011
Prednisone and time are what helped me. And it took a lot of time.

VIP Member
Nov 3, 2012
I went through this exact same thing 3 yrs ago and I had to have the fusion. I mean the sciatica pain was so bad I would just collapse and scream. There is hope after surgery, don't believe all the doom and gloom. I'm the strongest I've ever been now :)

daman1

daman1

VIP Member
Jul 25, 2016
Updates...they are pushing for me to get a spinal decompression surgery. Has anyone had this?

P

prime

TID Board Of Directors
Dec 31, 2011
If you want to avoid surgery assuming you absolutely don't need it, then you have to rest and not stress the back until it is stable. I have had an back injury for 36 years and have had cortisone and traction, etc. Rest is always what brings it back. Unfortunately, not everybody can rest their back due to work, etc. Good luck.

P

prime

TID Board Of Directors
Dec 31, 2011
And I want to add that depending on severity it can litterally take a year to heal to the point where you feel like you can get back into the gym. I am trying to heal right now from aggravating my back from running and I've been unable to get into the gym for last 8 weeks. I hope to be back training in the next 4 weeks. It is a super slow process. I've lost 12 pounds of mass from this downtime.

I agree with iMuscle on hanging on a pullup bar. Poor mans traction but it will take the pressure of the discs. Hang as much as you can and then lay down. See if that helps. If it does do that as much as possible. My last bad aggravation about 9 years ago took me down for 10 months. I almost decided for surgery and then my pain subsided. Lots of laying down during the day to rest the back.

Rampage

Rampage

MuscleHead
Oct 26, 2011
I had a pretty bad low back injury/ hip injury for almost 6 months, physio/chiro helped minimally, then I tried hot yoga which helped the most!! It was basic stretching and relaxation but I noticed a huge difference after the first week, maybe give it a try!

daman1

daman1

VIP Member
Jul 25, 2016
Thanks all. I've been doing these Mackenzie stretches from my PT and it's helped immensely. I'm putting the surgery on hold since I'm finally progressing.

The ultimate question is about training again. The pain from this, at many points, was horrific and crippling. I'm terrified to reinjure it to that point again. Psychologically, in turn, it makes me worry about getting hurt again if I lift any weight.

S

Snake

VIP Member
May 1, 2011
If you need a decompression, your MRI will show conclusively that your nerves are impinged by a buildup of calcium in the canal, or something similar.
I had decompressive surgery about 5 yrs ago and it worked out perfectly.
Couple nights in the hospital, couple months rehab at most, and that's rehab to be back in the gym with no worries.
The ticket to any kind of back surgery is PICKING THE BEST SURGEON IN YOUR AREA. I can't stress that point enough.
Don't just go where your doctor sends you; research and be well again.
Best of luck.

G

graybass

May 14, 2015
Good info on here. I've been dealing with a lower back injury that started 25 years ago squatting improperly. It would get better, then I'd hurt it on and off till it just stopped getting better in recent years. Went to many Ortho docs. Recent MRI says that I have a bad herniation between L5 and S1. Laser Spinal Institute says I am a candidate for laser surgery of the protruding disc but, my insurance won't pay so it costs 22K which I don't have. I have a close friend who is a sports doctor and a bodybuilder. He said spinal decompression will be a huge help without surgery. He also said that you can go to doctors for expensive decompression treatments, or you can do it yourself. Just learn how to use an inversion table the correct way which takes a little practice. He said doctors will not tell you to get a table because they lose money on treatments. Key to inversion is learning how to relax your spine so the space between the vertebrae will open up. I've been using mine about 3 months now and big improvement.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic