Members
Latest Member
Kiddorism
What's New?

Low Testosterone and Clomid

zackrock

zackrock

Sep 8, 2010
I have had a few blood tests run and my testosterone levels have come back low every time...< 210. My LH and TSH levels have both been consisently low as well.

Along with the blood tests my doctors have done an MRI on my pituitary/thyroid gland to make sure nothing is wrong with that and they have done an ultrasound and semen analysis to make sure that my testicles are normal. Nothing was found in the MRI or ultrasound.

So my doctor has started me on 50mg of Clomid everyday which is supposed to force my body to produce more LH and FSH which should make my testosterone levels go up. I have been taking the Clomid for 20 days now and I have not noticed any change in my energy levels, mood, sex drive or anything that would let me know this is working.

How long should it take before I should start seeing some positive results? Is there anyone else that has been put on this?

pux888

pux888

MuscleHead
Oct 1, 2010
I think your going to need to have blood work done to quantify the results....I do not think clomid will raise your testosterone levels high enough for you to notice a physiological difference in hormone levels. If your use to exogenous testosterone you definitely wont feel a difference. Your next stop may be a test gel. How old are you, whats your cycle history like?

AWARE72

AWARE72

MuscleHead
Oct 17, 2010
Here is a study...

Clomiphene citrate effects on testosterone/estrogen ratio in male hypogonadism, Shabsigh A, Kang Y, Shabsign R, Gonzalez M, Liberson G, Fisch H, Goluboff E., J Sex Med. 2005 Sep;2(5):716-21.

AIM: Symptomatic late-onset hypogonadism is associated not only with a decline in serum testosterone, but also with a rise in serum estradiol. These endocrine changes negatively affect libido, sexual function, mood, behavior, lean body mass, and bone density. Currently, the most common treatment is exogenous testosterone therapy. This treatment can be associated with skin irritation, gynecomastia, nipple tenderness, testicular atrophy, and decline in sperm counts. In this study we investigated the efficacy of clomiphene citrate in the treatment of hypogonadism with the objectives of raising endogenous serum testosterone (T) and improving the testosterone/estrogen (T/E) ratio. METHODS: Our cohort consisted of 36 Caucasian men with hypogonadism defined as serum testosterone level less than 300 ng/dL. Each patient was treated with a daily dose of 25 mg clomiphene citrate and followed prospectively. Analysis of baseline and follow-up serum levels of testosterone and estradiol levels were performed.

RESULTS: The mean age was 39 years, and the mean pretreatment testosterone and estrogen levels were 247.6 +/- 39.8 ng/dL and 32.3 +/- 10.9, respectively. By the first follow-up visit (4-6 weeks), the mean testosterone level rose to 610.0 +/- 178.6 ng/dL (P < 0.00001). Moreover, the T/E ratio improved from 8.7 to 14.2 (P < 0.001). There were no side effects reported by the patients.

CONCLUSIONS: Low dose clomiphene citrate is effective in elevating serum testosterone levels and improving the testosterone/estradiol ratio in men with hypogonadism.This therapy represents an alternative to testosterone therapy by stimulating the endogenous androgen production pathway.

And another study.....

Use of clomiphene citrate to reverse premature andropause secondary to steroid abuse, Tan RS, Vasudevan D., Fertility and Sterility, Volume 79, Issue 1, Pages 203-205

OBJECTIVE: To report a case of symptomatic hypogonadism induced by the abuse of multiple steroid preparations that was subsequently reversed by clomiphene. DESIGN: Case report. SETTING: University-affiliated andrology practice within family practice clinic. PATIENT(S): A 30-year-old male.

INTERVENTION(S): Clomiphene citrate, 100-mg challenge for 5 days, followed by treatment at same dose for 2 months.

MAIN OUTCOME MEASURE(S): Clinical symptoms, androgen decline in aging male questionnaire, total T, FSH, LH.

RESULT(S): Reversal of symptoms, normalization of T levels with LH surge, restoration of pituitary-gonadal axis.

CONCLUSION(S): Clomiphene citrate is used typically in helping to restore fertility in females. This represents the first case report of the successful use of clomiphene to restore T levels and the pituitary-gonadal axis in a male patient. The axis was previously shut off with multiple anabolic steroid abuse.

And one more...

The effects of aging in normal men on bioavailable testosterone and luteinizing hormone secretion: response to clomiphene citrate, Bremner, William J, J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 1987 Dec;65(6):1118-26

Serum testosterone (T) levels in men decline with age while serum LH levels, as measured by RIA, increase. To assess if the decline in serum T levels in healthy aging men is paralleled by an age-related decline in the bioavailable non-sex hormone-binding globulin (SHBG)-bound fraction of T and to determine whether there are age-related changes in LH secretion or LH control of T production, we studied 29 young (aged 22-35 yr) and 26 elderly (aged 65-84 yr) healthy men. All men had single random blood samples drawn, and 14 men in each age group underwent frequent blood sampling for 24 h, both before and after 7 days of clomiphene citrate (CC) administration. Both mean 24-h serum total T levels and non-SHBG-bound T were reduced in elderly men compared to those in young men (P less than 0.05), while estradiol and SHBG levels were similar in the 2 age groups. Serum FSH determined by RIA and LH by RIA and bioassay were higher in the elderly men compared to those in young men (P less than 0.05), but the ratios of LH bioactivity to immunoreactivity and the LH pulse frequency and amplitude were similar. After CC administration, mean serum total T and non-SHBG-bound levels in young men increased by 100% and 304%, respectively, while in older men these values increased by only 32% and 8%, respectively. However, CC-stimulated LH pulse characteristics and serum levels of estradiol, SHBG, FSH, and bioactive and immunoreactive LH were similar in the 2 groups. Thus, both at baseline and after CC stimulation, elderly men had significantly lower serum total T and non-SHBG-bound (bioavailable) T levels than did young men, despite similar or increased levels of bioactive LH and similar bioactive to immunoreactive LH ratios and LH pulse characteristics. These results suggest that major age-related changes in the hypothalamic-pituitary-testicular axis occur at the level of the testes and are manifested by decreased responsiveness to bioactive LH. Administration of CC to young and elderly men resulted in similar changes in LH pulse characteristics and LH bioactivity and immunoreactivity, suggesting preserved hypothalamic-pituitary responsiveness in the elderly.

Last edited:
AWARE72

AWARE72

MuscleHead
Oct 17, 2010
How long should it take before I should start seeing some positive results? Is there anyone else that has been put on this?

I just posted some studies and in the studies it took 4-6 weeks to see results....

pux888

pux888

MuscleHead
Oct 1, 2010
nice post man, your a handy dude to have around!

R

Rayj

Jan 12, 2011
You sound just like me, my T tested at 195, then 2 months later 205 (just to confirm 1st test) I took some pro hormones about 3 years back for only about 3 weeks! and never did and pct. I have never felt good since coming off them. I recently got tested and my suspicions of low T were confirmed. I started a one month long clomid treatment 50mg and then got tested again. T went up to 413. I didn't really feel like clomid was doing anything until I was off it!!!! My question is what do I do now? Feel like crap again...

crowman

crowman

MuscleHead
Nov 2, 2011
hows the rest of your blood work look? Free testosterone is more important than total testosterone. Estrogen level? DHEA? Once your Low there is not alot a physician can do to get you back into the high normal range except through the use of hormone therapy. Its not just testosterone that is important though. Your physician needs to be looking at the test above and many others to balance you out.

crowman

crowman

MuscleHead
Nov 2, 2011
You sound just like me, my T tested at 195, then 2 months later 205 (just to confirm 1st test) I took some pro hormones about 3 years back for only about 3 weeks! and never did and pct. I have never felt good since coming off them. I recently got tested and my suspicions of low T were confirmed. I started a one month long clomid treatment 50mg and then got tested again. T went up to 413. I didn't really feel like clomid was doing anything until I was off it!!!! My question is what do I do now? Feel like crap again...

So he stimulated production through the use of clomid then took you back off and you are now suffering thus you likely have low testosterone which i would still consider very low even at 413. Like I mentioned in the other persons post, there is a bunch of other tests that need to be checked to see whats going on but in all reality you could likely fix how you feel by starting a Hormone Therapy program. You went from extremely low to still pretty low. You never even made it to a range that is considered good. And what was your free test number?

Stankyleg

Stankyleg

Sep 5, 2013
My doc put me on clomid too. I was 204 when he tested. We went that route so I can father another child. Otherwise it was gonna be 150mg of cyp a week. If you don't have plans for kids, go trt bro.

NDLessPSYcle

NDLessPSYcle

MuscleHead
Apr 1, 2011
My doc put me on clomid too. I was 204 when he tested. We went that route so I can father another child. Otherwise it was gonna be 150mg of cyp a week. If you don't have plans for kids, go trt bro.

Thread started almost 3 years ago and last post was 1 year ago sir. I think he's got it. :)

Stankyleg

Stankyleg

Sep 5, 2013
Lol. I swear to god that I found this thread in the new post section today. But thanks for pointing out that I'm a dumbass, all the same ;)

NDLessPSYcle

NDLessPSYcle

MuscleHead
Apr 1, 2011
Lol. I swear to god that I found this thread in the new post section today. But thanks for pointing out that I'm a dumbass, all the same ;)

That thing happens to me too so no sweat. I have no idea why it does that. I reported it as a bug a little while back. \m/

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic