Latest Member
pbtom
What's New?

Low Fat vs Low Carb

DungeonDweller

DungeonDweller

VIP Member
Mar 21, 2017
There is a lot of medicine and science, studies, experiments, data on how our bodies work, how and when we build muscle, lose fat, etc. But when my head starts spinning I just think of the caveman... what makes sense for a caveman's body to do in a situation. If a caveman is starving but still straining his muscles the last place the body is going to sap nutrients is his muscles. What that says for less important organs like, say, the brain, I don't know.

shortz

shortz

Beard of Knowledge VIP
May 6, 2013
There is a lot of medicine and science, studies, experiments, data on how our bodies work, how and when we build muscle, lose fat, etc. But when my head starts spinning I just think of the caveman... what makes sense for a caveman's body to do in a situation. If a caveman is starving but still straining his muscles the last place the body is going to sap nutrients is his muscles. What that says for less important organs like, say, the brain, I don't know.

Genetically, we differ a lot from cavemen. This is one reason why the whole paleo thing is so silly. Cavemen also didn't have near as much muscle mass as we do as weight lifters. Caevman were likely short, small framed, agile, and built more for running and survival.

DungeonDweller

DungeonDweller

VIP Member
Mar 21, 2017
I agree, its an oversimplification. But I think some things in the animal kingdom can be generalized, even if not understood why.

Sometimes I need simple... I'm not a doctor and only interested in enough biology/physiology/nutrition to be a successful lifter/bodybuilder.

CFM

CFM

National Breast Implant Awareness Month Squeezer
Mar 18, 2012
One person may thrive on a vegan diet whereas another cannot maintain let alone feel or look healthy on the same diet. Some folks genetically require more carbs, some more fats. I have, based on multiple cuts, bulks and various diets learned from my own experience I require fats over carbs (generally speaking).

No one size fits all.

BackAtIt

BackAtIt

MuscleHead
Oct 3, 2016
If you are natural, keep the deficit low. The dieting will take much longer as well, so you will need to break it up in to blocks in which you will want to reassess, adjust macros and calories, as well as possible refeeds. I normally don't recommend refeeds, but in a situation of a natty trying to lose a lot, it's a must at certain points. That being said, refeeds are NOT to be done every week, unless it's very calculated, but even then, I don't recommend it.

I cannot stress enough having the right macros and deficit. If you are using Hgh, peptides, aas etc, there is a lot more room for error without losing muscle, but as a natural, it's much more fickle at times.

Question from the hip....Why does the body burn muscle when there is plenty of fat to burn?...In other words, why doesn't it (body) burn ALL the fat first, then attack muscle?...

mjbanks

mjbanks

Nov 4, 2015
i just read an article that said if i train six days, hard/lite/hard/lite etc. that i should have the same protein daily, and less carbs on lite and rest days, in order to cut as I go, i feel it, but idk if there's any negative gains yet

good luck :)

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Men need fat especially if they are not supplementing. Remember your test is created from cholesterol.

Reactions: CFM
sityslicker1

sityslicker1

TID Board Of Directors
Oct 6, 2010
Well I generally track calories, macros and weight daily. I will say I honestly believe that allot more research needs to be done on the calorie needs of office workers. I know for a stone cold fact that at about 2200 I will maintain. Thats with 30-40min of AM cardio and 1.5hrs of fairly intense weights at night. The impact of sitting at a desk without getting up hardly at all for 8hrs a day is way more major on some people; I truly believe this. Not to mention 30-45 min commute AM and PM so your talking 9-10hrs of complete inactivity. Humans are not supposed to exist like that.
My inlaws have an awesome cottage in a real rural area. When I'm there I'll eat 4000-5000 calories per day while drinking beer n booze at night. The difference is I am NOT working out but I am very active for 8-10hrs per day. Just doing that and not even working out and i can double my caloric intake and maintain. I often think of how much more i could eat if i worked a labor job. Then I wonder if I would still have the drive to go hit weights the way I do now.

I completely agree with you on this. The RDA was created back when people were farming for a living or physically busting ass to make a living, not sitting in a cubicle for 8 to 10 hours a day. And Kids were out playing in the yard, riding bikes etc and not sitting on there ass drinking coke, eating Twinkies all day playing Xbox and posting on FB.

The plate replaced the food pyramid a few years back, which is also shit. It was an attempt to correct our growing epidemic of diabetes, heart disease, and obesity. Basically the same mis informed information put in a pie chart vs. A pyramid with minor tweaks, lol.

RDA calories and portions of grain/ fruits to veggies/ protein are off centered for most Americans these days. There needs to be more studies and evidence base info to blast this bullshit. But it won't happen. Too much money to be made on miss informed unhealthy people through healthcare, insurance and meds. Plus the price of junk food is much cheaper to feed the general public vs. Healthier options, a great example school food. Basically shit calories.

At one point in my life I want to major in nutrition and become a dietian, but I didn't for 2 reasons- everything is based on RDA as a guide for patients and secondly they really don't get paid well.

Last edited:
ChuckLee

ChuckLee

Oct 16, 2017
I completely agree with you on this. The RDA was created back when people were farming for a living or physically busting ass to make a living, not sitting in a cubicle for 8 to 10 hours a day. And Kids were out playing in the yard, riding bikes etc and not sitting on there ass drinking coke, eating Twinkies all day playing Xbox and posting on FB.

The plate replaced the food pyramid a few years back, which is also shit. It was an attempt to correct our growing epidemic of diabetes, heart disease, and obesity. Basically the same mis informed information put in a pie chart vs. A pyramid with minor tweaks, lol.

RDA calories and portions of grain/ fruits to veggies/ protein are off centered for most Americans these days. There needs to be more studies and evidence base info to blast this bullshit. But it won't happen. Too much money to be made on miss informed unhealthy people through healthcare, insurance and meds. Plus the price of junk food is much cheaper to feed the general public vs. Healthier options, a great example school food. Basically shit calories.

At one point in my life I want to major in nutrition and become a dietian, but I didn't for 2 reasons- everything is based on RDA as a guide for patients and secondly they really don't get paid well.
I agree with the above but in any case the RDA is not made for bodybuilders. We need to, you know, push everything above the limit if you want to see results.
The only real way to find a baseline of what you burn everyday is to stick to a number and see in a few weeks how much your weight increases/decreases and make your tweaks from there.

ChuckLee

ChuckLee

Oct 16, 2017
Either low carb or low fat, you need to lose weight if you wanna lose fat in a reasonable amount of time; to lose wight you need to be in a caloric deficit, so in order to lose fat you need to eat lees than what you consume.
Or you can choose the longer journey and opt for body recomposition. It's slow but gives what you aim for without losing weight.

woodswise

woodswise

TID Board Of Directors
Apr 29, 2012
Question from the hip....Why does the body burn muscle when there is plenty of fat to burn?...In other words, why doesn't it (body) burn ALL the fat first, then attack muscle?...

I think it is because when in a severe caloric defecit that resembles starvation, your body will consume muscle and store fat as with less energy burning muscle, you need fewer calories to survive, and you have fat reserves to fall back on if the period of "starvation" continues. This is why a lot of people who follow extreme diets losing massive amounts of weight, end up getting fatter over time (whether they stay on the diet or go off) rather than getting leaner.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic