Members
Latest Member
pbtom
What's New?

Losing 150lbs - Advice about schedule/macros/diet

E

epicurous

Jun 21, 2018
I've been obese for the last 10 years but about 5 months ago I decided to start losing weight and do some lifting. My goal is to keep as much muscle as I can during the cut and if at all possible make some gains in strength/mass. I was hoping to get some constructive criticism about the frequency/intensity of my workouts and my diet. Specifically if I should stick with my current macros or not. Here's all my info:

Male
Height: 5 11
Current Weight: 271 (down from 340 in Feb.)
Goal Weight: 190
BMR: 2200
TDEE: 2780
Current Deficit: 700kcal
Daily Cardio: 600kcal
Macros: 183/70/183

I've managed to get the diet aspect pretty well squared away. As far as I can tell at least. I'm usually well over on protein, even on fats, under on carbs. My sodium is through the roof, though, so I try to drink about a gallon of water every 24 hours. I'm feeling full enough throughout the day (still having some cravings), but as long as I get enough sleep, I have enough energy to do a 3 Mile Walk every morning. That takes about an hour. I also bought myself a pair of adjustable dumbbells (80lbs) and have been following a basic routine every other day for the past month. It looks like this:

Mon, Wed, Fri, Sun, Tue, Thurs, Sat

-4 sets of 8 (25lb Dumbbell)-
Goblet Squat
Bench Press
Bent-Over Row
Overhead Press
Straight Legged Deadlift
Alternating Curls
Calf Raises
10 minutes of static stretching

I weigh-in once a week and I'm losing on average about 10-12lb per month at the moment. I am on track to be at my goal weight by around January or so, which I am definitely stoked about. I've read some articles about how too much cardio can negatively impact muscle gain, and was curious if I should be concerned about that. On training days I usually lift about 3 hours or so after my morning walk - I'm not overly sore, but sometimes struggle to finish my last 2 sets. It's tough to stay motivated but I am 100% committed to get healthy. Should I stick with my current line-up? Scale it back? Should I adjust my macros? Schedule? Am I overthinking all of this stuff? Haha.

Here's a look at my incredibly basic diet. I'm still working on trying to incorporate some fresh veggies in there, but since I have a really crazy schedule I can barely make it to the grocery store once a month. This is what I eat practically every day except for weekends when I'll substitute a turkey sandwich or a couple extra pieces of fruit. I've never in my life worried about portion control let alone macros, so finding something that works was a pretty big challenge. The repetition helps with cravings quite a bit, too surprisingly.

Thanks for taking the time to read, and any info/criticism on any aspect would be much appreciated!
current diet.PNG

R

rawdeal

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 29, 2013
Epic . . . that was this February . . . 2018, when you were 340?

you have made AMAZING progress already. There will be specific advice on tweaking your diet as this thread grows, but I am more of an impurist than a purist. I'll keep my effort to congratulations and encouragement right now, basically, keep doing what you've been doing. But mix it up a little within the limitations you describe, i.e. the limited diet choices, dumbells and walking only, crazy schedule. If you're not bored yet, you may get there, throw whatever variety in there you can, however minor. It sounds like you think you have found a winning plan (you HAVE) and are hesitant to stray from it. If you can pull that off, do it, but you'll be one in a million. Try changing the exercises a little, or doing the same ones in a different order. Try walking different places, or doing the same course in reverse order, little things like that.

Above all, keep doing (roughly) what you've been doing, come here for encouragement. Very few people on this board have turned themselves around as much as you have, as fast as you have, I'm anxious to see continued progress updates from you.

Last edited:
Lizard King

Lizard King

Administrator
Staff Member
Sep 9, 2010
If you like mustard, swap out the A1 and ketchup for it, will help with your sodium levels

Popular Types of Mustard
(1 tsp serving)
Sodium(mg)
Dijon67
Horseradish56
Deli50
Classic Yellow 55
Honey Mustard 5
Spicy Brown 50

E

epicurous

Jun 21, 2018
Epic . . . that was this February . . . 2018, when you were 340?

you have made AMAZING progress already. There will be specific advice on tweaking your diet as this thread grows, but I am more of an impurist than a purist. I'll keep my effort to congratulations and encouragement right now, basically, keep doing what you've been doing. But mix it up a little within the limitations you describe, i.e. the limited diet choices, dumbells and walking only, crazy schedule. If you're not bored yet, you may get there, throw whatever variety in there you can, however minor. It sounds like you think you have found a winning plan (you HAVE) and are hesitant to stray from it. If you can pull that off, do it, but you'll be one in a million. Try changing the exercises a little, or doing the same ones in a different order. Try walking different places, or doing the same course in reverse order, little things like that.

Above all, keep doing (roughly) what you've been doing, come here for encouragement. Very few people on this board have turned themselves around as much as you have, as fast as you have, I'm anxious to see continued progress updates from you.
Excellent advice. I'll definitely have to try for some variety. I've thought about joining a gym, but I live in pretty remote area right now and the closest one is about 30 miles from here. I just can't afford that kind of travel. I'm thinking about ponying up the cash for a structured program soon. Something that would help with progressive overload. The choices are kind of overwhelming.

This isn't some quick fix, I'm trying to make this a lifestyle change. I want it more than anything in the world and I'm ready to work to get there. Thanks so much for the support. I'll definitely keep updating.

If you like mustard, swap out the A1 and ketchup for it, will help with your sodium levels

Popular Types of Mustard
(1 tsp serving)
Sodium(mg)
Dijon67
Horseradish56
Deli50
Classic Yellow 55
Honey Mustard 5
Spicy Brown 50

There's like zero calories in mustard, too. Great idea!

VIP Member
Nov 3, 2012
Damn dood congratulations that is a hell of a weight loss! That michelina's is up there in sodium too, try making an extra potatoe and chicken breast the night before. Best wishes

macgyver

macgyver

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 24, 2011
First off congrats!

Looking at your numbers and progress, you stated your deficit was 700. That looks like it is calculated without an accurate TDEE. (Your tdee factors in your activity level which would be your cardio as well). So you are running a 1300 cal deficit as far as I can tell.

That is OK. And TDEE, BMR,.....are all guesses. It is tracking and progress that you hone in on your goal.

With your size, such an aggressive deficit is OK while you have a lot of fat to lose. But at some point, you will have to bring that down some.

Also for guys doing extended dieting, it is not a bad idea to bring cals up to maint for a week or so every 12 weeks. Lyle McDonald has written a lot about this and he can explain better than I. Also it will keep you sane along the way.

One last thing....once you get into your groove where you are really comfortable tracking and planning, carb cycling is a great option to break up the monotony of long diets. In not so many words, just take your allocation of carbs and or total cals for the week and give yourself a "high" carb day and 2 moderate, and rest lower....or some guys throw in 3 moderate, and 4 lower.... It does not matter. What it really does is break up your diet and allow room for things you might enjoy eating. For me, I always save room for pizza and icecream. It does not matter the deficit, I can always fit it in. Sometimes it is only 1 slice, or one 1/2 cup serving of icecream......but it at least makes you feel like you can have some treats.

Best of luck!

ItalianMuscle

ItalianMuscle

Drama Queen senior Vip
Sep 1, 2010
Many congrats for losing all that weight. As for diet, I would make these changes.
Get rid of the cheese. Not sure if your using that for fat or not, but I would use olive oil or avocados instead.
Get rid of the refried beans and rice-a-roni. Swap out for brown rice or Ezekiel bread.
Michaelas chicken Alfredo? Hasn't anyone ever told you while dieting, never eat anything that comes in a box?
Swap that meal out for egg whites/oatmeal, or protein shake/oatmeal.
First meal of the day, probably most important in my opinion. I would do either eggwhites/oatmeal, or 6-7 ounces of chicken with brown rice or Ezekiel bread. Maybe meal 2, do the protein shake, and or chicken/brown rice.

Veggies are also good to add, but keep em green. I prefer green beans, but broccoli is also good.. No peas!
Eventually your going to plateau, that means its time to make changes. I like to carb cycle, or what I like to refer to it as.. carb manipulation. Ive been blessed with not having to do an ounce of cardio when I diet. I can lose any amount of weight, and get shredded just by using food. And of course a little bit of help from some compounds..

Best of luck to your goal weight of 190.

ItalianMuscle

ItalianMuscle

Drama Queen senior Vip
Sep 1, 2010

E

epicurous

Jun 21, 2018
Many congrats for losing all that weight. As for diet, I would make these changes.
Get rid of the cheese. Not sure if your using that for fat or not, but I would use olive oil or avocados instead.
Get rid of the refried beans and rice-a-roni. Swap out for brown rice or Ezekiel bread.
Michaelas chicken Alfredo? Hasn't anyone ever told you while dieting, never eat anything that comes in a box?
First meal of the day, probably most important in my opinion. I would do either eggwhites/oatmeal, or 6-7 ounces of chicken with brown rice or Ezekiel bread. Maybe meal 2, do the protein shake, and or chicken/brown rice.

Veggies are also good to add, but keep em green. I prefer green beans, but broccoli is also good.. No peas!
Eventually your going to plateau, that means its time to make changes. I like to carb cycle, or what I like to refer to it as.. carb manipulation. Ive been blessed with not having to do an ounce of cardio when I diet. I can lose any amount of weight, and get shredded just by using food. And of course a little bit of help from some compounds..

Best of luck to your goal weight of 190.
Menu 1.PNG

I did some food shopping and prepping yesterday, got rid of the processed stuff - got my sodium levels way down. I'll try ditching the dairy next round and incorporate some olive oil instead. I'm working with a pretty tight budget and a crazy schedule, so even if I could get to the grocery store more than once a month for fresh food, I don't always have the cash to get the healthiest options. Not an excuse, I know, but it's something I'll have to work on.

I managed to find a pretty good balance this month though. Definitely better than what I was doing before. What do you think?

Last edited:
FlyingDragon

FlyingDragon

VIP Member
Nov 4, 2010
I would also avoid anything in the freezer section, frozen veggies dont taste the same to me, go fresh as much as u can....Also adding homemade salsa without salt is another option if mustard isnt something u like.....And dont hide from salt free spices, I love hot spices, makes eating food easier.....

macgyver

macgyver

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 24, 2011
Get rid of the cheese. ...... I would use olive oil or avocados instead.

Why to all the above?

Again....why? First meal is no more "important" than the last. In fact some people love intermittent fasting, where their "first meal" is skipped, and they done eat until 1-2pm. I never thought it was for me, but been doing it for 2 weeks now and actually it has been the easiest deficit I have ever done in regards to appetite control.

Why no peas?

I dont get all the "bro" advice. In regards to weight loss there is zero difference between rice-a-roni, or brown rice..or sweet potato vs a pop tart. Makes no difference at all. (not regarding the health benefits that one receives by choosing less processed foods) But by all means enjoy a pop tart, or cheese, or rice-a-roni-or peas. Totally dont get the "eat egg whites instead of whey" comment either. Not even sure where that comes from?.....

I know you are in good shape....but many of the ideas you throwing out there have long been debunked as bodybuilding bro-lore. Not sure what your thoughts are.

ItalianMuscle

ItalianMuscle

Drama Queen senior Vip
Sep 1, 2010
Why would you use cheese for a healthy fat, when olive oil or avocados are a much better choice?

Are you seriously going to debate me on wether rice a roni is a better choice then brown rice? Get the fuck out of here..
The fat grams in rice a roni is quadrupled, not to mention the 1000mg of sodium.. oh, and the butter you use for it too..

And your going to debate me on some shit frozen dinner from Michalenas, that costs .99cents? I suppose thats better then 7-8ounces of lean sirloin too, eh?

And yes, egg whites are a much better choice then any whey protein. Prob the best protein ever..
Whole food in general is better choice then any man made protein..

Why no peas? Do some research.. Studies have shown, they are linked to weightgain..

All meals are important, wether its the first one, or last one.. You need read a little bit on nutrition..

Many of my ideas have been debunked? LMAO!! Tell that to the 2 IFBB pros I use for diet help. One ranked in top 10 in the world..LOL

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic