Members
Latest Member
Rolanalon

Looking for your thoughts on this...

S

Snake

VIP Member
May 1, 2011
shit, I forgot you live in the wide open spaces, as opposed to my getting more over-populated each year part of the globe. Maybe a home gym would be ideal if your home logistics would support that. Maybe doing that "home" gym in a rental storage place would be a good substitute if your budget would support that. YOUR place, your rules, your equipment, your music if you choose, and your choice of training partners if you choose that too. I have done solo single garage door training with those advantages in the past, and it does lack a little of the 'electricity' that well chosen partners bring. Where you are suitable training partners may be few and far between, maybe there are potentials who are PL noobs around, at the expense (of time) that you'd have to mentor them too. Maybe that's how Louie got started.

totally agree with the one paid membership, one entitlement principle but the gym owner is a businessman and trying to please most ppl most of the time, I expect less chance of success there than there should be. His heart may be with Flex, but his bottom line may lose focus.[/QUOTE

Well said!

porky little keg

porky little keg

MuscleHead
May 21, 2011
I guess my problem is I've only done one semi-local meet and it was a Crossfit gym and way too far away to train there on any sort of regular basis.

I live in Mississauga, Ontario, Canada.

I used PLW.com to look up local powerlifting clubs and it came up empty.

There is a Mississauga powerlifting club but they are actually located in the next city west of me, so again too far. I don't even know why they use the name Mississauga.
There's a LOT in your area....
Ken Wheatham is an hour away on Oshawa and he knows his stuff. That's about the distance I drive 4x a week to train with my team.
Or, you're only 3 hours from Detroit Barbell. You could easily make a once or twice a month trip across the border to learn from Clay. He's one of the best coaches in powerlifting right now.

Also, all of these.... http://ontariopowerlifting.org/Clubs.html

FLEXjs

FLEXjs

MuscleHead
Apr 23, 2012
Thanks for that. Much appreciated.

Although those places are too long of a commute to train at on a daily basis, I'll look into some for weekends or something.

Oshawa is an hour away maybe at 3am on a Sunday. LOL Any other time a normal human would be driving it's a nightmare commute. Clear across Toronto on the 401. Yikes. Could easily take 2-3 hours one way any given weekday.

We did go to Hercules Gym in Syracuse in March for an afternoon and we plan on doing that again soon. I think that is about a 3 hours drive, maybe 3.5.

porky little keg

porky little keg

MuscleHead
May 21, 2011
Thanks for that. Much appreciated.

Although those places are too long of a commute to train at on a daily basis, I'll look into some for weekends or something.

Oshawa is an hour away maybe at 3am on a Sunday. LOL Any other time a normal human would be driving it's a nightmare commute. Clear across Toronto on the 401. Yikes. Could easily take 2-3 hours one way any given weekday.

We did go to Hercules Gym in Syracuse in March for an afternoon and we plan on doing that again soon. I think that is about a 3 hours drive, maybe 3.5.

Yeah, training with Rheta is definitely worth that drive!

To put it in perspective, I train with a world class crew and for a year I still made monthly trips to either the Sweatt Shop or Westside ( and a few week-long trips as well) ...... that's 6-7 hours each way once a month.
I know it's a lot to do, but to get me from top 5 to the #1 spot for the year it was worth it.
When I'm healthy enough to push I'll start doing it again.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic