Members
Latest Member
pbtom

Looking for your thoughts on this...

DaSarge

DaSarge

VIP Member
Nov 20, 2014
I assume, talking and spotting Mrs flex?

Yeah, maybe I read it wrong. I thought he indicated they pretty much do their own thing when they're working out. There's no chit-chat. He wears head-phones. IDK

But, anyway.......I agree with you about the home gym thing. THIS sort of sh*t is exactly why I bought my own equipment 25 years ago...

IronInsanity

IronInsanity

TID Board Of Directors
May 3, 2011
And now that I'm thinking about this more I think it's pretty fucking insipid to cry to management first without asking to work in or let me know you're waiting.

Back in the day when I trained at Powerhouse it was always packed. We had 2 squats racks. We all worked in together. And if you were waiting on something you'd just say to the person "Hey can you let me know when you're on you're last set?"

So now people just lurk about, don't say jack shit, can't fucking communicate like a normal person, yet go to management and complain??? I mean, were they really even wanting to use the equipment or just bitching because they didn't think we should use it that long?

For me, if my REAL GOAL was to get some squats done, I'd work in or at least ask how long the person was going to be. I do it.

Just some food for thought.

Like I said; other that that one time I don't ever recall anyone letting me know they were waiting or asking to work in.

And in that instance I offered him to work in he chose not to; so really he basically said "I want you two to work in together, but I don't want to work in with anyone." And that's bullshit.
You intimidate them! :eek:

porky little keg

porky little keg

MuscleHead
May 21, 2011
If you're in a city of a million there are powerlifters there training somewhere..... go find them.
Go find the strongest people at local meets and train with them. Or, if you're totally lost, pm me about where you live and I might know someone close who could at least point you in the right direction.

R

rawdeal

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 29, 2013
YOU are a fucking jewel, don't come here as frequently as we could wish, but maybe you also have a LIFE or something. You gave me similar advice in pm, and it's so obvious really. "Word of mouth" existed before the Internet. Go to one or more of the closest PL meets you can find (yeah, the Net is useful for that) and talk to people. I am around a medium city that is still less than 1 million, and . . . . . it works. Pre-Net Old School, what a concept. The commute can be inconvenient, but the place you may find is well worth it.

hawkeye

hawkeye

VIP Member
Sep 19, 2011
YOU are a fucking jewel, don't come here as frequently as we could wish, but maybe you also have a LIFE or something. You gave me similar advice in pm, and it's so obvious really. "Word of mouth" existed before the Internet. Go to one or more of the closest PL meets you can find (yeah, the Net is useful for that) and talk to people. I am around a medium city that is still less than 1 million, and . . . . . it works. Pre-Net Old School, what a concept. The commute can be inconvenient, but the place you may find is well worth it.

PLK makes a great point again, and I agree, he is an asset. That's basically how I got into finding the right people to start training in powerlifting. I was at a meet. Saw a guy destroying bench and was lucky enough to get introduced to him and got invited to Dubuque, Iowa to train with Team Carpenter. From there I met the likes of Rob Luyando, Paul Key, and several others that came to train with
Bill Carpenter. I was really blessed.

FLEXjs

FLEXjs

MuscleHead
Apr 23, 2012
If you're in a city of a million there are powerlifters there training somewhere..... go find them.
Go find the strongest people at local meets and train with them. Or, if you're totally lost, pm me about where you live and I might know someone close who could at least point you in the right direction.

I guess my problem is I've only done one semi-local meet and it was a Crossfit gym and way too far away to train there on any sort of regular basis.

I live in Mississauga, Ontario, Canada.

I used PLW.com to look up local powerlifting clubs and it came up empty.

There is a Mississauga powerlifting club but they are actually located in the next city west of me, so again too far. I don't even know why they use the name Mississauga.

Gms585

Gms585

VIP Member
Mar 17, 2017
I guess my problem is I've only done one semi-local meet and it was a Crossfit gym and way too far away to train there on any sort of regular basis.

There is a Mississauga powerlifting club but they are actually located in the next city west of me, so again too far. I don't even know why they use the name Mississauga.

Yooo,
I don't do pl at the moment but a couple gym buddies do. There are a few meets coming up in buffalo n Rochester this summer. Also a few strong man events.

S

Snake

VIP Member
May 1, 2011
You both pay. You both have every right to use whatever you need, ESP with 6 racks!
In my opinion the owner shouldn't have even approached you.

R

rawdeal

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 29, 2013

shit, I forgot you live in the wide open spaces, as opposed to my getting more over-populated each year part of the globe. Maybe a home gym would be ideal if your home logistics would support that. Maybe doing that "home" gym in a rental storage place would be a good substitute if your budget would support that. YOUR place, your rules, your equipment, your music if you choose, and your choice of training partners if you choose that too. I have done solo single garage door training with those advantages in the past, and it does lack a little of the 'electricity' that well chosen partners bring. Where you are suitable training partners may be few and far between, maybe there are potentials who are PL noobs around, at the expense (of time) that you'd have to mentor them too. Maybe that's how Louie got started.

You both pay. You both have every right to use whatever you need, ESP with 6 racks!
In my opinion the owner shouldn't have even approached you.

totally agree with the one paid membership, one entitlement principle but the gym owner is a businessman and trying to please most ppl most of the time, I expect less chance of success there than there should be. His heart may be with Flex, but his bottom line may lose focus.

VIP Member
Nov 3, 2012
Yooo,
I don't do pl at the moment but a couple gym buddies do. There are a few meets coming up in buffalo n Rochester this summer. Also a few strong man events.
We're hitting buffalo in august!

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic