Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest Member
Kiddorism
What's New?

Limited Mode: A discussion on safety precautions.

Titan

Titan

VIP Member
Dec 28, 2010
http://anabolicboard.com/forums/sho...cussion-on-safety-precautions?highlight=titan
Here is an op-ed I wrote and posted a few years ago on AB.
It starts with the true history as to WHY anabolic steroids become illegal in the US...Just stupid politics if you ask me !!!!
enjoy....

I have begun to write a few thoughts about being safe here.
MODS dont really know where you feel this post belongs or if the Staff even will approve of me posting it. If not I understand
I havent finished my thoughts but the idea seems so far to be positive from the feed back I have got from the members here...So heres a start.

In order to understand why LE think the way they do, let’s take a quick trip down memory lane.

I know why. But some may not know when and why juice became illegal. This is for the new guys/gals. Remember I’m writing this little article for the un-informed, not the vet/VIP.

1984 – For many years the medical and pharmaceutical industry denied that Testosterone or any other AAS actually did anything to build muscle or enhance physical performance… hard to believe, but they thought if people understood it didn’t work then they wouldn’t use it… WRONG. The American College of Sports Medicine came out and finally admitted they were wrong and that AAS was extremely effective at building muscle. Their "reeducation" tactic had failed so now they switched to fear tactics such as "steroids can kill" and they began to focus more and more on younger athletes.

1984-1987 - During the next few years there was a dramatic rise in anti-steroid media coverage. The media are always looking for negative and fear inducing news to spike the ratings. One California physician who had strong ties to the NFL even stated that "young athletes who take heavy doses of anabolic steroids from 60 to 90 days can expect to die in their 30's and 40's" This totally unsubstantiated claim started a media feeding frenzy. It got more intense as the Sports Illustrated story called "The Nightmare of Steroids" by a South Carolina lineman Tommy Chaikin and Rick Telander detailed Chaikins medical and psychological ails after steroid abuse. As the pressure built, Congress began to get more involved.

1987 - Doctors, in an effort to keep big Pharmaceutical companies honest start calling for controlled substance status of steroids, not because of any health issues, but to prevent the drug companies from over-producing steroids and allowing those supplies to find their way to the black market. WHY? ... so they could secretly profit from AAS. The new bills being proposed to control the distribution of steroids still placed no controls on the manufacturing of steroids by the pharmaceutical companies and of course the drug companies took advantage of that to sell more drugs. See W.D. Taylor M.D's "Synthetic Anabolic Androgenic Steroids: a Plea for controlled substance status" The Physician and Sports Medicine ( Volume 15, Num 5, May 1987 )

1988 - September, amidst a media frenzy Canadian Ben Johnson was stripped of his Gold Medal after testing positive for Anabolic Androgenic steroid use.
1988 - November 18 Ronald Regan signs a bill into law as part of the Anti Drug Abuse Act. While this bill did not classify steroids as controlled substances it still called for 3 years prison time for distribution of AAS, up to six years if sold to minors. This law allowed for the arrest of distributors without authorizing the arrest of personal users.

1989 - An old man in New Mexico gets a mail order catalog for AAS in his mailbox. The media frenzy around steroids was such that this incident was enough to spurn on a new bill. Bill H.R. 995 proposed to create an "Anabolic Steroid Restriction Act." Carl Lewis testified on behalf of the bill and even though it

Titan

Titan

VIP Member
Dec 28, 2010
did not pass into law it foreshadows how the amateur user of AAS would be treated as felons just for getting an AAS via the mail.
1990 - Bill HR 4658, The Anabolic Steroid Control Act, gets signed into legislation and adds Anabolic Androgenic Steroids to the Controlled Substances Act by inserting them into 21 U.S.C 802. HGH was also added to the Controlled Substances Act. AAS and HGH were now right up there with Cocaine, heroin and the most addictive psychoactive narcotics in the world. Fucking amazing but true…

Before a drug can be put into Schedules of Controlled Substances, it must meet the following requirements of 21 USC 811. They are:

• Its actual or relative potential for abuse
• Scientific evidence of its pharmacological effect
• Current scientific knowledge regarding the drug
• Its history and current pattern of abuse
• The scope, duration and seriousness of abuse
• Psychic or physiological dependence liability
• Risks, if any to public health
• Whether the substance is an immediate precursor of a currently controlled substance

Only the Attorney General of the United States has the authority to add new substances to the controlled substances schedules in America. The attorney general is supposed to request an evaluation and the official recommendation from the Secretary of Health and Humans Services. The acting Attorney General at the time was Edwin Meese. He went right by the book and asked the Secretary of Health and Humans Services as well as the DEA (Drug enforcement Agency) for their views on adding AAS to the controlled substances schedules.

The Drug Enforcement Agency and the Secretary of Health and Humans Services both evaluated AAS on the basis of the above eight factors. On October 1, 1987, John Lawn Administor of the DEA concluded that Anabolic Androgenic Steroids should NOT be made controlled substances. On March 15, 1988 Secretary of Health and Humans Services Otis Bowen also agreed that AAS should not be made controlled substances.

Both the DEA and Secretary of Health and Human Services both believed that AAS should not be controlled substances and made that clear to the Attorney General who in turn made it clear to congress. As you can see by the timeline above congress did not listen as they forced AAS into the controlled substances schedule via the Anti Drug Abuse Act of November 18.
Why did our government ignore the official recommendations of the Attorney General, DEA and the Secretary of Health and Humans Services?
It is up to you to decide why they decided to ignore their own laws.

Last edited:
Titan

Titan

VIP Member
Dec 28, 2010
The Secretary of Health and Human Services
The The General Attorney
American Medical Association
The Drug Enforcement Agency

The foremost medical experts at the time were all against making anabolic androgenic steroids a controlled substance.
A few more facts about Androgenic Anabolic Steroids:
They are now prescribed by doctors more than ever !!!
HRT, (hormone replacement therapy) continues to benefit thousands of middle aged men.
Anabolic Androgenic Steroids have never been conclusively linked to a single death. The same cannot be said for the nation’s most popular high blood pressure medication, which kills thousands of people a year.

The politicians went on their own tangent in support of big business and the media, happy to have more scary news for better ratings helped push it through. Thirty years of this and the public perception of Steroids has completely shifted. It would take a miracle of awareness for it to be balanced again.

The reminder of my post can be read over at AB...
Thanks,
T.

Heady Muscle

Heady Muscle

VIP Member
Oct 13, 2014
Great write up, thanks. It is crazy we allow any Gov't to dictate what we do with our bodies. Such bullshit. But in saying that, if people would take personal responsibility for their actions, it would put lawyers and insurance companies out of business.

Thanks again for the great info.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic