Feb 3, 2011
I'm running a split like this right now:

Monday - Heavy Push
Tuesday - Light Pull
Wedn. - Off
Thurs. - Light Push
Friday - Heavy Pull
Sat/Sun - Off

I've got my heavy push and pull routines down, and I've got my light pull pretty much dialed in, but I would like some advice on what to do for a light/speed push workout. This would include chest/shoulders/tris/calves.

I know there are some powerlifters lurking on this forum who do speed work so any help would be appreciated.

fixxer

fixxer

MuscleHead
Dec 15, 2010
Something I like to do that runs along these lines at the end of my chest workout is a decline, incline, flat circuit with just 135; 10 reps of each, rest for a minute, and then do it over again. Throw in some pec deck too if you want. Another thing I do is put 135 on flat bench and static hold it at 90 degrees for 10 seconds, then bust out 5-10 reps really fast, and then go back to the static hold, and repeat.

Reactions: SAD
S

soinkid

Mar 14, 2011
workin on speed i would recomend using bands on ur chest push routines. i used them a while back to help loosen up and get some speed for mma. it made a huge difference, and ripped me up. honestly i think it helped my strength even though it was lighter than what i normally worked out with. just was going for the explosiveness out of the bottom

W

Wolf

MuscleHead
Dec 25, 2010
I'll give you an example of my DE days. For upper body when I do bench I stick to triples in the 55-60 percent 1rm, that percentage range will allow you to lift a sub-maximal weight with a maximal effort. There were studies that pinned down the 58percent range as the upper limit for a weight that you can press or pull that will allow you to exert similar forces as your 1rm. For lower body I stick to doubles for deads and triples for squats.

For upper body there are days where I let the weight practically just fall on its own until it just touches my chest then I lift it as quickly as possible, it develops your bar reversal strength and speed. Other days i do a 3-4 second rest pause to remove the stretch and potential energy out from the muscle and press the weight.

fixxer

fixxer

MuscleHead
Dec 15, 2010
^I always do that with 315 as one of my last sets on bench; pause for a good 5 seconds at the bottom before pressing it up. Definitely an awesome strength builder killing all your momentum.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic