Latest Member
Rolanalon
What's New?

lifting with a bad back and knees

Mr. Wiggly

Mr. Wiggly

MuscleHead
Oct 15, 2011
So if your gettin old like me, im curious as to what types of exercises are you limited to or have to stay away from. How do you substitute for them?
Im only 40 but my body had been through some tough times. For 7 years I have had a jacked up back. My T 7, 8, and 9 are tilted forward and are smashing the disks. And in doing so I get a pinched nerve in there. I also have a good number of bone spurs on my vertebrae (not sure the big deal there but the chiro seems concerned) and now in January X-rays showed I have a good amount of arthritis on those vertebrae as well. Both my knees are shot. The right one is bone on bone, always clunkin' and grindin'. I can hardly navigate a set of stairs some days.
So obviously im not doing a ton of dead lifts and squats. I have found that I can do some light front squats (carefully), and I can do some light to medium leg extentions and calves are ok even though I dont have any. I can use a square dead lift bar or hex type bar to do some light DL's. And all of that is pushing it.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Leg extensions are terrible for the knees.

If you're going to squat... have you tried wrapping your knees? That would give them more support and and even give you a bit of help. You could also wrap your knees and pull sumo. That's more legs then back. Do you have access to a reverse hyper extension?

Mr. Wiggly

Mr. Wiggly

MuscleHead
Oct 15, 2011
Leg extensions are terrible for the knees.

If you're going to squat... have you tried wrapping your knees? That would give them more support and and even give you a bit of help. You could also wrap your knees and pull sumo. That's more legs then back. Do you have access to a reverse hyper extension?

Well I do the extentions because it doesnt hurt me if I dont push it too much. Gives me a good burn. As far as wraps, I walk around most days with one of those supported elastic knee braces so I def have that on. Wouldnt dare try it with out it. Im gonna get a gym membership here in a month or so when it gets too cold to heat the one im in now, so I will have access to more machines. I should be able to find something good for me.

Mr. Wiggly

Mr. Wiggly

MuscleHead
Oct 15, 2011
Extentions might bug my patela tendons but not the joint.

shortz

shortz

Beard of Knowledge VIP
May 6, 2013
I had a good bro suggest doing occlusion training. I had my right knee almost completely reconstructed after several years of repeated injuries. Its a vicious cycle of injury, getting weaker, then more injuries because it's too weak to prevent further injuries. Grrr!

I am almost done my PT and will start it to see if it works. With occlusion training, you can use a lot less weight to achieve the same effects as heavier weight, according to the theory. I am pretty pumped. I just did walking lunges this week, pain free, for the first time in 5 years.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Well I do the extentions because it doesnt hurt me if I dont push it too much. Gives me a good burn. As far as wraps, I walk around most days with one of those supported elastic knee braces so I def have that on. Wouldnt dare try it with out it. Im gonna get a gym membership here in a month or so when it gets too cold to heat the one im in now, so I will have access to more machines. I should be able to find something good for me.

When I say wraps... I'm talking about 2m, 2.5m, or 3m powerlifting wraps. It's much more supportive then the knee brace you're used to using. It'll be restrictive to a degree (depends on the wraps you're using and how tight you wrap them) but it'll create a much more stable environment to squat in.

Mr. Wiggly

Mr. Wiggly

MuscleHead
Oct 15, 2011
I had a good bro suggest doing occlusion training. I had my right knee almost completely reconstructed after several years of repeated injuries. Its a vicious cycle of injury, getting weaker, then more injuries because it's too weak to prevent further injuries. Grrr!

I am almost done my PT and will start it to see if it works. With occlusion training, you can use a lot less weight to achieve the same effects as heavier weight, according to the theory. I am pretty pumped. I just did walking lunges this week, pain free, for the first time in 5 years.

I will look into occlusion training, thanks. For me lunges are totally out of the question. Anything with my foot forward of me and pressure down just kills. Thats why going down stairs is hard for me. Seems if I place it back some its not so bad. Thats why front squats work a bit for me. If I put the bar on my shoulders its different, cant do it. I can also ride a bike which is the only cardio I can do........................Mr Wiggly is starting a Go Fund Me page for a knee replacement.........................

Mr. Wiggly

Mr. Wiggly

MuscleHead
Oct 15, 2011
When I say wraps... I'm talking about 2m, 2.5m, or 3m powerlifting wraps. It's much more supportive then the knee brace you're used to using. It'll be restrictive to a degree (depends on the wraps you're using and how tight you wrap them) but it'll create a much more stable environment to squat in.

Ill check them out thanks

shortz

shortz

Beard of Knowledge VIP
May 6, 2013
I will look into occlusion training, thanks. For me lunges are totally out of the question. Anything with my foot forward of me and pressure down just kills. Thats why going down stairs is hard for me. Seems if I place it back some its not so bad. Thats why front squats work a bit for me. If I put the bar on my shoulders its different, cant do it. I can also ride a bike which is the only cardio I can do........................Mr Wiggly is starting a Go Fund Me page for a knee replacement.........................

That was me for a few years before the last injury I had. Still never determined exactly what it was, but could have been a combination of tendinitis of the petallar tendon and the ACL injury I had. Like you, I couldn't do a lunge for a very, very long time. It's a weird sensation being able to do them. Eventually, squats, even with no weight, were even out of the question.

Keep those knees and back healthy and don't let it go too long. Have you had an MRI done on your knees?

Mr. Wiggly

Mr. Wiggly

MuscleHead
Oct 15, 2011
Have you had an MRI done on your knees?

I have not.....................unfortunately I am uninsured and I have not submitted to Barry (Davis) Setoro care. Eventually I will figure out a way to get them looked at.

Big_paul

Big_paul

MuscleHead
May 14, 2014
My back has been a problem for years now, but I have never given up on training. I work around it.

Lets start with tne knees. Heavy weight bearing exercise like leg press are out, unless using moderate weight. Dont lock out on top. Reality check 1500 lb leg press days
are over. Moderate to light weight squats are good. I use 225lbs. And go for reps. I also do lots of leg extensions and leg curls. I can go heavy with these lifts without playing my knees much. Actually they cause me no joint pain and still keep nice definition.

The spinal problems are different. That can cause you serious greif. I have 2. One at l4-l5 and another in my neck. The low back I work around. The most important thing is keep abbs and core strong.

The neck injury screwed things u p bad. One day I'm curling 175. The next day I couldn't curl a glass of water.

Find s competent doc. Surgery for better or worse is your only option.

I was able to work around low back by using a bench as support. Still had impressive lats and still do.

Because of the neck injury I had to start over. Never had surgery because lack of insurance. You probably have insurance. You need to take care of the spinal injury.
I still have numbness in my right arm, but working on 19 in guns.

G

gymrat827

VIP Member
Nov 5, 2012
im in your same boat and im only 31.....just turned 31 too.

IDK what L's i need help with, but welcome to the club buddy. I played AAA hockey for a while and that messed me up good. belt + wraps + then make use of machines. I know they are for laides, but in the end, i like them to really break down the muscles.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic