Latest posts

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest Member
pbtom
What's New?

Leverage Machines are getting Out of Control...

IronInsanity

IronInsanity

TID Board Of Directors
May 3, 2011
Home gym with no machines so I have nothing to add.

gunslinger

gunslinger

VIP Member
Sep 19, 2010
I'm using few machines these days: lat pulldown, leg press, a seated row and cables for tris. Everything else is dumbbells.

FLEXjs

FLEXjs

MuscleHead
Apr 23, 2012
I think most of the people who responded mis-understood my post.

I don't use machines much because I'm a powerlifter so most of what I do I use barbells, but I am not against them.

I'm against the HIGHLY LEVERAGED ones that allow people to lift obscene amounts of weight just because of physics.

I see guys loading up 5 plates a side on leverage shoulder press machines. 99% of these dudes couldn't do a seated shoulder press with 2 plates on each end of a barbell, let alone 5. It's silly.

For those that replied and said the weight doesn't matter, why wouldn't you then want something that had 'reverse' leverage, so you could get the same resistance with less plates to load?

I used to love the Hammer Strength seated row, but the thing was so leveraged I could max the pegs with 6 plates per side and it's just silly. I liked the movement but hated having to round up 12 plates to get the job done and then unload them all and put them away when done.

One of my gyms has a reverse leveraged t-bar row. Takes some pretty good strength to get much beyond 2 plates on the thing when doing a full and proper range of motion. Anytime I've seen 3 plates or more on it the R.O.M. was laughable. No one harldy every uses it. I wonder why?

S

Shock

VIP Member
Nov 28, 2015
Maybe the newest Hoist machines require a ton of plates to achieve the same effect as Hammer Strength. I don't know. I used them in a Gold's Gym a few years ago and loved them. I'm about 6'3" and 245lbs. and definitely couldn't max them out. I was pleasantly surprised though with how they actuated and made me feel. I definitely miss having them available. Also, maybe I'm weak as fuck.

C

C T J

Crossfit VIP
Jan 24, 2013
never seen them and have never used them but I'll say the less plates I have to load the better.

Bigtex

Bigtex

VIP Member
Aug 14, 2012
I chased numbers for the 1st 20yrs. I never had a Bench Press but Squats and Deads were 550+. At 49yrs old I'm surviving with Bodybuilding. If I had kept at the numbers game I'd be out of the gym with injuries forever.

I understand you Mike. 27 years competing and chasing records (my own) and only caring about how much I can lift one time. I am glad I did it, but I have a room full of trophies and a few surgeries to remind me of it all. I am just happy now still being in the gym lifting. 20 reps 12 reps, 6 reps, as long as I keep growing and looking like I lift is good. It has gotten easier over the years to not look over at the other people in the gym and see if they do more than I do. When someone asks me how much I bench, I have no problem saying I don't know. 63 years old and still going 5 days a week.

I hear you CJt I hate having to load on a bunch of plates and have gotten to be a typical gym asshole and just leave the after I am done. Hell, everyone else does.

Mike_RN

Mike_RN

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Aug 13, 2013
Damn @Bigtex you old...(but wise). You make me feel young again.

ValeTudo8080

ValeTudo8080

VIP Member
Aug 31, 2011
you guys crack me up....But yes Hoist has a new Rock iT line and yes it can get goofy with the leverage ......also Life Fitness has a plate loaded should press that i warm up with 3 -45s on each side.....so yes that one is comical .

There are also videos of skinny guys pressing huge amount of weights on certain Hammer Strength chest press.

S

SilverFox

Oct 31, 2018
I disagree the Hoist machines are great for bodybuilding. I don’t care what poundage I move I’m here to build muscle.
My gym has mostly Hoist and Hammer Strength machines and I love using them as part of training.

FLEXjs

FLEXjs

MuscleHead
Apr 23, 2012
This is the shit I am talking about: 6 plates on each side of a shoulder press machine.

Why design shit like this? It's stupid ego bullshit and means there's fewer plates available for real lifting like squats and deadlifts.

http://instagr.am/p/BzY1m_0hrfo/

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic