What's New?

Let's talk about DOMS

• Thread starter cockswole_gentleman
  • Start Date
cockswole_gentleman

cockswole_gentleman

VIP Member
Jan 29, 2023
The winter is my off-season in Wisconsin. I don't work full-time, so I get 5-7 workouts in per week. With that volume of workouts, I don't experience DOMS.

Flip to summer. Working 60 hours per week. Active outside work. Getting 3 workouts in per week. Push, pull, legs. I'm experiencing a decent level of DOMS at this volume of work.

Is this really where I should be? Do you think it's even relevant? Perhaps I overreach in the winter? 49 years old. 15 years training experience. I run 200mg test per week summer. This past winter I ran 400mg per week.

The other Snake

The other Snake

VIP Member
Aug 19, 2016
Fuuk I thought we finally got a good BDSM Dom/sub thread. So disappointed.

Ok moving on. Any chance you're overworking the muscles. My soreness sets in hard about 2 days after. If you work the muscle again, it just pushes it off. You would probably know if you're over trained though.

As for my DOMS, big muscles only and I have it all the time. On any given day, something on me always hurts. I do 1 body part a week.

cockswole_gentleman

cockswole_gentleman

VIP Member
Jan 29, 2023
FYI:

LK will need pics for proof to verify your handle is accurate.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Fuuk I thought we finally got a good BDSM Dom/sub thread. So disappointed.

Ok moving on. Any chance you're overworking the muscles. My soreness sets in hard about 2 days after. If you work the muscle again, it just pushes it off. You would probably know if you're over trained though.

As for my DOMS, big muscles only and I have it all the time. On any given day, something on me always hurts. I do 1 body part a week.

Volume and frequency usually don't have as much impact on DOMS as intensity. Are you training harder, because you are only training 3 times a week now?

The difference in the amount of test you ran could also have an impact.
Same experience for me Snake. 2 days, bigger muscles feeling it.

GF, I don't feel like I'm training harder. Actually doing less sets per body part each workout. Maybe I am pushing them harder, I'm just unaware of it?

jipped genes

jipped genes

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2022
If I work a muscle group 1x a week and really go for it, I get sore. If I am doing it 2x a week with similar intensity I tend not to get sore. I don't know.

tommyguns2

tommyguns2

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Dec 25, 2010
If I work a muscle group 1x a week and really go for it, I get sore. If I am doing it 2x a week with similar intensity I tend not to get sore. I don't know.
This is my experience as well. I also get more sore when going heavier with lower reps (6-8). than lighter with higher reps (15-20). despite my subjective belief that my intensity was similar. And it sets it on the second day after the workout for the large bodyparts.

Glycomann

Glycomann

VIP Member
Jan 19, 2011
Back when I worked a hard labor job I barely grew. I got strong but I didn't really grow until after I stopped that job in my 40s. Then I put on 30 lbs of lean tissue.

M

Massive G

VIP Member
Apr 10, 2020
Back when I worked a hard labor job I barely grew. I got strong but I didn't really grow until after I stopped that job in my 40s. Then I put on 30 lbs of lean tissue.
I second this. My first job out of school was industrial micro. Lots of 1500 liter tanks and industrial equipment work. I stayed stable lean and not really progressing past 240 for 2 years. Didn’t figure it out until I got another job as a group leader and sat on my ass 8 hrs a day vs 10 to 12 hours in my feet. I gained 20 lbs in 2 weeks weights were sailing in the gym etc.

T

tzseattle

May 24, 2023
Could it be that with the more active jobs the diet needed more fuel? I have been learning more about food and dieting and can't say I have it dialed in, but worth looking at

Glycomann

Glycomann

VIP Member
Jan 19, 2011
I second this. My first job out of school was industrial micro. Lots of 1500 liter tanks and industrial equipment work. I stayed stable lean and not really progressing past 240 for 2 years. Didn’t figure it out until I got another job as a group leader and sat on my ass 8 hrs a day vs 10 to 12 hours in my feet. I gained 20 lbs in 2 weeks weights were sailing in the gym etc.
It was a challenge. I was lifting bundles 8-16 hours a day. We use to weigh the bundles and calculate the amount. I can't remember but it was ridiculous amount. I remember eating less than 4000 kcals a day and the weight would fall off. I didn't use much AAS back then. But it made a big difference the few years I did while still working there. I went from stringy flat and lean to much fuller and not looking like I was working in a coal mine.

LITTLEMAGS

LITTLEMAGS

VIP Member
Nov 1, 2010
I have switched my training up to more of a less volume (everyday) type of training over the past three months. I hit every group everyday. Maybe 2 sets a muscle group but training everything everyday. Didn’t think it would ever work but working 55 hours a week and training BJJ three times a week I have maintained my weight around 215 and at 50 I have reduced DOMS tremendously. I am not losing any muscle but fat loss is great. Going to do this next few months to see how it goes.

bybon

bybon

VIP Member
Sep 15, 2011
I did landscaping for years until last year. Worked with DOMS.

If real pain shows up (stabbing pain, throbbing pain, etc) then back off a little or add extra recovery day.

Hopefully your body does the same and pain works as a signal like it should.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic