Members
Latest Member
Kiddorism

Lesnar is back at 278lbs

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
......Certainly you don't mean ALL UFC fighters? I have done plenty of no gi grappling and I teach Jiu-jitsu for MMA. While I agree some of the guys in UFC have less than grand Jiu-jitsu skills there are others who have world class grappling skills. Some who aren't even ranked.

Less than grand is putting it nicely. You can say it, some have shitty skills or basically no skillset at all. Some are good but I don't think any of them are great in terms of BJJ skills. If you wanna see great you should come of No Gi Worlds or No Gi Pan Am's and watch the best go at it.

gunslinger

gunslinger

VIP Member
Sep 19, 2010
Less than grand is putting it nicely. You can say it, some have shitty skills or basically no skillset at all. Some are good but I don't think any of them are great in terms of BJJ skills. If you wanna see great you should come of No Gi Worlds or No Gi Pan Am's and watch the best go at it.

RICARDO ALMEIDA-BJJ black belt under Renzo Gracie, and he has competed in various Gi BJJ tournaments and the ADCC’s absolute division.

DEMIAN MAIA- ADCC World Submission Wrestling Championships, ADCC 2007 77–87 kg: 1st place ,ADCC 2005 77–87 kg: 2nd place

CBJJ World Championships

2001 Brown Belt Medio-Pesado: 2nd Place

2000 Purple Belt Medio-Pesado: 1st Place

1999 Blue Belt Medio: 2nd Place

CBJJ Brazilian Championships

2006 Black Belt Absolute: 2nd Place & Black Belt Medium Heavy: =3rd Place

2002 Brown Belt Medio-Pesado: =3rd Place

2001 Brown Belt Medio-Pesado: 1st Place & Brown Belt Medio-Pesado: =3rd Place

CBJJ Brazilian Team Championships

2003 Brown/Black Pesada: Master, 1st Place

2002 Brown/Black Pesada: Alliance, 2nd Place

2001 Brown/Black Pesada: Alliance, 1st Place

2000 Purple Belt Pesada: Alliance, 1st Place

CBJJO Copa Del Mundo

2005 −85 kg Black Belt: 1st Place

2003 Black Belt Meio Pesado: =3rd Place & Black Belt Absolute: 1st Place

2002 Black Belt Meio Pesado: 1st Place & Black Belt Absolute: 2nd Place

2007 ADCC Submission Wrestling World Champion
2006 Pan American Champion
2005 ADCC Submission Wrestling World Runner-Up
4x Brazilian team champion

NATE DIAZ-Brown belt under Cesar Gracie.

B.J. Penn-BJJ black belt, first non-Brazilian winner of the World Jiu-Jitsu Championship in the black-belt category, CBJJ World Championships 2000 – Black Belt Pena: 1st Place, 1999 – Bronze medal at Brazilian Mundials.

GABRIEL GONZAGA-2006 Winner CBJJO Copa Do Mundo Black Belt Pesadissimo Winner CBJJ Mundials Black Belt Pesadissimo, 2005 2nd CBJJO Copa Do Mundo Black Belt Pesadissimo 3rd CBJJO Copa Do Mundo Black Belt Absolute 2nd place ADCC +99 kg,

RICARDO ARONA-ADCC World Submission Wrestling Championships, ADCC 2003 Superfight championship: Defeated Mark Kerr,ADCC 2001 88 – 98 kg: 1st Place Openweight: 1st Place, ADCC 2000 88 – 98 kg: 1st Place, CBJJ World Championships 2000 Black Belt Pesado : 2nd Place, 1999 Brown Belt Pesado : 1st Place Brown Belt Open Weight: 2nd Place, 1998 Purple Belt Pesado : 1st Place, 1999 Brown Belt Pesado: 1st Place.

Yeah, no world class grapplers here at all.

Last edited:
BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
7 out of how many total fighters?

And yes I know who Demian Maia is since I'm asociated with his school Alliance. I know Master Jacare VERY well.

Like I said earlier in another post, I'd like to see martial art against a different martial art like Judo against BJJ and others.

Last edited:
69nites

69nites

VIP Member
Aug 17, 2011
7 out of how many total fighters?

And yes I know who Demian Maia is since I'm asociated with his school Alliance. I know Master Jacare VERY well.

Like I said earlier in another post, I'd like to see martial art against a different martial art like Judo against BJJ and others.
Those fights are less dynamic and interesting to me. MMA fighters of the first generation couldn't hold their own with the 3rd tier of current fighters. The standard is constantly being raised. I want to have to know a fighter's individual skillset to know how the fight is going to go. If you've seen one pure BJJ vs wrestler you've seen them all.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Those fights are less dynamic and interesting to me. MMA fighters of the first generation couldn't hold their own with the 3rd tier of current fighters. The standard is constantly being raised. I want to have to know a fighter's individual skillset to know how the fight is going to go. If you've seen one pure BJJ vs wrestler you've seen them all.

Personally, it's the different match ups which would make it more interesting to me at least. Doesn't have to be a wrestler like I said why not get a black belt Judo guy in there. Have you watched a Judo match. The throws are sick.

69nites

69nites

VIP Member
Aug 17, 2011
judo is cool and there are multiple fighters that incorporated it into their style. pure judo isn't going to win fights. particularly against the current well rounded fighters.

RedNeck

RedNeck

MuscleHead
Dec 30, 2010
I have always wondered why bjj seems to be the standard for mma, does it go back to the fact royce gracie was the original badass of ufc. Bjj has been a part of our curriculum since I have been in martial art and helps to make a will rounded fighter. But in no way is it the gold standard everyone makes it out to be.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
judo is cool and there are multiple fighters that incorporated it into their style. pure judo isn't going to win fights. particularly against the current well rounded fighters.

Yeah, even BJJ incorporates Judo's throws into it. I dunno I liked it better when each person had 1 style and therefore weren't as well rounded. It made it more of a which style is better tourney. I know it'll never happen but that doesn't mean it wouldn't be fun to watch.

69nites

69nites

VIP Member
Aug 17, 2011
Yeah, even BJJ incorporates Judo's throws into it. I dunno I liked it better when each person had 1 style and therefore weren't as well rounded. It made it more of a which style is better tourney. I know it'll never happen but that doesn't mean it wouldn't be fun to watch.

I would like to see a tournament like that once a year. a person from each major discipline there to claim the glory.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
I would like to see a tournament like that once a year. a person from each major discipline there to claim the glory.

That'd be cool as hell. 1 representative from each discipline to represent that martial art. I'd pay to watch that. It brings back thoughts from that movie "Blood Sport".

gunslinger

gunslinger

VIP Member
Sep 19, 2010
Personally, it's the different match ups which would make it more interesting to me at least. Doesn't have to be a wrestler like I said why not get a black belt Judo guy in there. Have you watched a Judo match. The throws are sick.

How about Karo Parisyan? Parisyan has six Junior National belts to his credit, and competed in the Olympic Judo trials ahead of the 2004 games in Athens. He faught and lost against some BJJ guys such as Diego Sanchez and Thiago Alves as well as losses to wrestlers such as Sean Sherk.

I would like to see the tournament format come back though.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
How about Karo Parisyan? Parisyan has six Junior National belts to his credit, and competed in the Olympic Judo trials ahead of the 2004 games in Athens. He faught and lost against some BJJ guys such as Diego Sanchez and Thiago Alves as well as losses to wrestlers such as Sean Sherk.

I would like to see the tournament format come back though.

I like that. Win or lose I would like to see different styles in action. It would be interesting don't you think?

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic