Members
Latest Member
pbtom

Laura Phelps-Sweatt - bench training footage

mugzy

mugzy

TID Board Of Directors
Aug 11, 2010
Here is some recent bench training footage of Laura Phelps-Sweatt.
She is working in a new SDP and using 575 pounds to a 1 board.

Last edited:

ajdos

Friends Remembered
Sep 8, 2010
OK Im impressed but I have to ask when I see the board, isnt that just a partial?

mugzy

mugzy

TID Board Of Directors
Aug 11, 2010
Yes aj thats the objective. She's wearing a bench shirt and if the shirt fits right its possible you may have to pull the weight down to you as you get lower and the shirt gets tighter. Most competition benchers will do most of thier work training with boards and bands as the lockout is where the shirt provides the least support.

I have seen a lot of times a lifter can't even get the weight down to touch the chest.

No doubt she's strong as hell just to be able to hold that much weight in her hands and she pushed it up pretty quick.

ajdos

Friends Remembered
Sep 8, 2010
Yes aj thats the objective. She's wearing a bench shirt and if the shirt fits right its possible you may have to pull the weight down to you as you get lower and the shirt gets tighter. Most competition benchers will do most of thier work training with boards and bands as the lockout is where the shirt provides the least support.

I have seen a lot of times a lifter can't even get the weight down to touch the chest.

No doubt she's strong as hell just to be able to hold that much weight in her hands and she pushed it up pretty quick.
I see, I guess Im indoctrinated about form, in an actual comp she would have to touch her chest...so what happens if the shirt keeps that from happening in a comp? do they cut the shirt somehow to make it less taught?

Yeah I couldnt do it thats for damned sure, shes cok-d no doubt.

AllTheWay

AllTheWay

TID Lady Member
Mar 17, 2011
that is very impressive. the world of powerlifting is so different from bb! i am amazed at the differences in training techniques and such as i have ventured into having someone help me with my deadlift. completely different way of doing things!

mugzy

mugzy

TID Board Of Directors
Aug 11, 2010
I see, I guess Im indoctrinated about form, in an actual comp she would have to touch her chest...so what happens if the shirt keeps that from happening in a comp? do they cut the shirt somehow to make it less taught?

Yeah I couldnt do it thats for damned sure, shes cok-d no doubt.

In competition yes she would have to touch the chest and then hold the weight upon lockout until the rack command. Sometimes wetting the shirt will allow a little more flexability to lower the weight. These day powerlifting is 70% technique and manipulating equipment.

tommyguns2

tommyguns2

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Dec 25, 2010
Impressive. That kind of weight in my hands is hard to comprehend.

One thing I don't want is for my dog to come over in the middle of a lift and start licking my face. That looks like a commercial gym and not a garage. What gym lets dogs roam around like that? Would be afraid one would pee on the equipment to mark their territory.

AllTheWay

AllTheWay

TID Lady Member
Mar 17, 2011
Impressive. That kind of weight in my hands is hard to comprehend.

One thing I don't want is for my dog to come over in the middle of a lift and start licking my face. That looks like a commercial gym and not a garage. What gym lets dogs roam around like that? Would be afraid one would pee on the equipment to mark their territory.

i found a great home for flash the bulldog, i sent him to a gym owner and powerlifter in new jersey and flash hangs out at the gym all day. they love him! i think it is pretty common in the powerlifting world to have dogs hanging around.

tommyguns2

tommyguns2

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Dec 25, 2010
I love dogs, but I tend to project to other dogs how my dog acts. My Brittany is so happy that people are around, he goes up and smells everyone's groin, and if you're lying down (like on a bench), he wants to lick your face. Wouldn't be great if I've got some modest weight on the bar. Maybe when he gets older, he'll chill out a bit more.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Just my personal opinion, but I don't find that impressive. The shirt (equipment) does the majority of the work. I'd wager she can't push 405lbs raw. With a shirt you can't get 315lbs to touch your chest without pulling the bar down to it. Yup, pulling it down and this is supposed to be a bench press.

Ditch the shirt and see what you can really do.

Last edited:
SAD

SAD

TID Board Of Directors
Feb 3, 2011
Anybody see the Ben Rape-lisberger lookalike at the end?

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic