Latest Member
pbtom
What's New?

LATEST POTENTIAL BAD NEWS

R

rawdeal

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 29, 2013
surfing around the Net aimlessly just now, saw this on USAToday, but I imagine it's in many places. Doesn't seem to be specifically aimed at our community, but it will be a pretty far reaching thing that may have some effect.

A Senator Rob Portman I am not familiar with, yet, is pushing a Bill that is co-sponsored by 2 near opposites, Sen Marco Rubio and Sen Elizabeth Warren, not a good sign. The stated target is the so-called Opiod epidemic that has received a lot of media and LE attention recently. Words like "China" and "USPS" and "fentanyl" are mentioned, it is pointed out that surveillance of intl USPS pkgs is not up to the standards UPS, Fed Ex, etc are required to do. Already there is a big money coalition of special interest groups that will fund support for this Bill, as its provisions will squeeze the small businesses who make the big boys worry about their profit margin. UPS, Big Pharma, any industry that gets counterfeited, you name it. In fact, they already did, Americans for Securing All Packages, or, ASAP. How can anybody not like that, unless you think about it a little.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
I seriously doubt this will actually go anywhere or do anything. If Congress fucks with the flow of goods into this Country from China there will be major backlash from industry who pays for their campaigns.

You know a bill is a piece of shit when those two are on it.

R

rawdeal

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 29, 2013
Hope you're right, I'm not too much of a current events politics economics whiz. What worried me is that we have seen money can sway voters to or away from certain candidates, or to or away from certain ideas. Before Obama Care and Trump's attempt to replace it, then Prez Bill Clinton, with visible support from Hill, tried to float their version of some kinda national health care. Big insurance companies felt threatened by this and filled my television with ads they funded, ultimately killing whatever Clinton's plan was. If there is enough "big money" that likes, or dislikes something, they can buy votes either from congressmen and senators, or from out here where all us common folk live.

and yeah, I haven't bought my Rubio 2020 or Warren 2020 tee shirts yet, but if those 2 can agree on something, it may get a lot of other support in Washington. What politician wouldn't want to show the voters he's against opiods and all for secure packaging?

NDLessPSYcle

NDLessPSYcle

MuscleHead
Apr 1, 2011
I believe Trump hates Rubio so we have that going for us....lol

Gms585

Gms585

VIP Member
Mar 17, 2017
Imo things will get very very bad for our thing in the not distant future.
The net privacy changes and the looming neutrality changes will change the way we are able to use the Internet indefinitely.
Mark my words if we allow this "deregulation" (LOL) Internet freedom is a thing of the past.

DieYoungStrong

DieYoungStrong

VIP Member
May 27, 2013
Trump hates the liberals ideas for "big government" - and I do too.

Trump loves the right's ideas on policing, which are also "big government" - ie more powers to the police, nsa, dea, etc. - I also hate that.

Trump said during his whole campaign "I am the law and order candidate". Well 95% of the country will be perfectly fine giving up constitutional rights and allowing the government to open every damn package from China if they want.

Gms585

Gms585

VIP Member
Mar 17, 2017
Im not going to get drawn into a political debate.
There was a internet privacy law that literally just passed that will begin to change things for any ANY illegal or grey online activity.
Net neutrality is next on deck. After the ISP's have all the power say goodbye to the free market known as the internet.
If you want to pull the covers over your head and pretend this has ANYTHING to do with left vs right , trump vs hillary , conservative vs liberal , Then you have no real idea of who actually calls the shots round here. Obama tried to do these things and failed, Now we have a new puppet a stronger puppet and we all lose in the end.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic