Members
Latest Member
pbtom
What's New?

Late 40s how much rest time is good?

T

tzseattle

May 24, 2023
Hey everyone. First non-intro post here so LMK if I should be asking this somewhere else.

I'm in my late 40s and have been lifting since a teenager. My workout lately looks like:

Day 1: Legs
Day 2: Chest, Shoulder, Triceps
Day 3: Back, Biceps

I train abs/core and calves with every workout, and given my schedule sometimes I do all 3 of those in a row, or sometimes I have a day or two between those days for rest. Each workout lasts 60-70 minutes. I do 60 seconds rest between sets and will either be doing heavy sets of 4-5 reps or lately I've been backing off slightly on the weight to do 10 reps.

I have a hard time knowing how much rest I really need per week for recovery. I know the general rule is at least 48 hours per muscle group, but I'm assuming that applies people younger than me When I have a heavy leg day I won't even feel the soreness from the lactic acid breakdown until say the 2nd day after the workout. Usually with upper body I'll feel the soreness the next day.

I also want to be able to start up yoga again for stretching and maybe switch from basic treadmill walk I'm doing now to running for cardio but I'm sortof at a loss for the best way to do that timing wise around the weights. And then I figure I want to keep the muscle so I'd rather lift than stretch so I wind up not changing it around. I'm in a rut!

Thanks for any advice and again hopefully this isn't flamebait

cockswole_gentleman

cockswole_gentleman

VIP Member
Jan 29, 2023
I'm in my late 40's too. I like training 5 or 6 times per week. I'm not sure my body is in favor of it though? Due to my work schedule, I'm only getting 3 workouts a week in lately. But I've noticed little nagging tweaks have gone away in that time. I suppose everyone is different though?

genetic freak

genetic freak

VIP Member
Dec 28, 2015
I am the same age. I do a push/pull/legs split over 4 days a week, so it would be push - Monday, pull - Tuesday, legs - Thursday and push - Friday. The next week would start with pull on Monday, and so on. If you are lifting with any intensity, that is about the minimum recovery between working muscle groups that works for me. That is chemically enhanced and eating 3500 calories where I am getting in 300-400 grams of protein a day, with at least one high day a week being 5000-7000 calories. This is maintenance and it still requires me to back off every 6-8 weeks.

CFM

CFM

National Breast Implant Awareness Month Squeezer
Mar 18, 2012
Legs/cardio
Push light/pull/cardio
Off
Arms/cardio
Cardio
Push/pull light/cardio
Off

Legs once and interval elliptical other days for more leg training.

As far as rest between sets I rest when I leave the gym

genetic freak

genetic freak

VIP Member
Dec 28, 2015
As far as rest in between sets, I take a lap around the gym between each warm up set and two laps before I start my working set. It takes me 45-50 seconds to walk the lap around the gym, so with set up time I would say my rest between sets is around a minute for warm up sets and two minutes before a working set.

Since I have been dong this, I have added 4000-5000 steps to my step count it each day and it has replaced a lot of cardio during prep, so I can save more energy for actually moving weight.

S

schultz1

Bangs Raiden's mom VIP
Jan 3, 2011
48 - between BJJ and lifting I am getting 6-7 workouts a week, yoga on Friday.

T

tzseattle

May 24, 2023
Wow 6-7 workouts a week, I definitely don't have the energy for that!

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic