Members
Latest Member
RalfKelleh

Last Heavy Training Days Before a Meet

ChrisLindsay9

ChrisLindsay9

MuscleHead
Jun 17, 2013
Well, found out Monday I have to go out of town next M-F for business. FML. That gives me one week to train when I get back, then a week off before my meet.

NOT HAPPY.
That stinks, Flex. Damn.

Would you say that females tend to keep the weights higher closer to the meet than males typically do?
FWIW, I follow a few women powerlifters on Instagram that post their training information, and I have noticed that they are doing their openers into the week before the meet, and they seem to hit PRs at the meet. For example, one SHW woman (lifting raw) had a meet on a Saturday, did her DL opener on Sunday, Squat opener on Tuesday, and Bench opener on Wednesday. Another raw woman lifter had a meet on a Friday, and did both her DL and squat opener on that Monday before, and Bench opener on Tuesday. Although she only PR'd in her squat, and tied her PR on bench.

I know everyone's different, but I thought that was too close to a meet?

Last edited:
porky little keg

porky little keg

MuscleHead
May 21, 2011
Flex - just hit your openers before you leave and go through the motions with super light weight when you get back.......

Everyone is a little different, regardless of gender, but no. Most of our girls hit openers 2 weeks out just like the guys.

FLEXjs

FLEXjs

MuscleHead
Apr 23, 2012
Just found out this morning the crisis was averted and my business trip is cancelled.

I feel a whole lot better about this upcoming meet now.

Chris, when is your next meet?

ChrisLindsay9

ChrisLindsay9

MuscleHead
Jun 17, 2013
Just found out this morning the crisis was averted and my business trip is cancelled.

I feel a whole lot better about this upcoming meet now.

Chris, when is your next meet?
Glad to hear that Flex.

I have a deadlift-only meet on Saturday, August 8th. My plan is to hit my openers this Sunday (19th) for and maybe go for a second attempt if everything is feeling good, for a couple-few sets. And then probably hit my opener again (plus/minus a few pounds) on July 30th, which will be 9 days before the meet. And in between all that, continue benching and squatting at a slightly heavier than deload intensity.

FLEXjs

FLEXjs

MuscleHead
Apr 23, 2012
OK, cool. Good luck.

Mrs Flex is competing on the 8th (Full Power) and I'm competing on the 9th (also Full Power).

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic