Members
Latest Member
pbtom

Last Heavy Training Days Before a Meet

ChrisLindsay9

ChrisLindsay9

MuscleHead
Jun 17, 2013
I don’t know if this is one of those pieces of information that people keep to themselves for strategic reasons or want to make money off of, but I’ll ask anyways.

When you’re peaking for a full power or single-lift meet, how many days out do you do your last bit of heavy lifting? And even though I compete raw, I’d be interested to know the differences between raw and equipped just for my own knowledge.

There are so many articles on peaking for a meet, most of them skewed towards novice lifters that talk about this topic … but of the training logs I follow, it seems like everyone does things a bit differently. And while I’ll probably have someone like POB help me with my peaks for future meets, I’d still like to find out if there is much consensus amongst the experience lifters about how they lift in the last couple-few weeks before a meet.

FLEXjs

FLEXjs

MuscleHead
Apr 23, 2012
I'm no veteran, but have 3 meets under my belt and one coming up in a month.

I take the previous 5-6 days off completely before each meet. So I'll do something the weekend before the meet, usually just work up to my openers, then just sleep lots and eat lots for the next week until the comp.

ChrisLindsay9

ChrisLindsay9

MuscleHead
Jun 17, 2013
For example, I was just reading another log; and it looked like this person's last heavy squat was 16 days out, last heavy deadlift was 13 days out, last heavy bench was 11 days out, and a deload-ish squat/bench at 6 days out. Not sure if that's typical or not, but looks to be a pretty experienced lifter so I don't think it's random planning.

FLEXjs

FLEXjs

MuscleHead
Apr 23, 2012
I don't think I could go 2 weeks or more without lifting reasonably heavy before the comp, but that's just me.

C

C T J

Crossfit VIP
Jan 24, 2013
For weightlifting (oly) I taper 8 days out. On that day, I work up to my snatch max and 80% of C&J.
From then out, programming is at 70% with a rest day/stretch every other day.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
For me... the week of the meet, I don't do shit other then claw the walls. I actually perform my warm up's the week before so it's 2 weeks or even 3 weeks for my last heavy lifts. I also drop the assisting lifts and just focus on technique and the comp lifts. I want to be fully rested and like a caged animal ready to bite the mono or the bar.

Last edited:
TenaciousA

TenaciousA

TID Lady Member
Mar 31, 2013
I don’t know if this is one of those pieces of information that people keep to themselves for strategic reasons or want to make money off of, but I’ll ask anyways.

When you’re peaking for a full power or single-lift meet, how many days out do you do your last bit of heavy lifting? And even though I compete raw, I’d be interested to know the differences between raw and equipped just for my own knowledge.

There are so many articles on peaking for a meet, most of them skewed towards novice lifters that talk about this topic … but of the training logs I follow, it seems like everyone does things a bit differently. And while I’ll probably have someone like POB help me with my peaks for future meets, I’d still like to find out if there is much consensus amongst the experience lifters about how they lift in the last couple-few weeks before a meet.
Hey CL-
Various sports---
Heavies are 2 weeks out. 90% or so 7d out, usually do 50% just for motion the Mon of the meet for all lifts, maybe Wed. Then light cardio and water cuts prn. And dieting and being a bitch.

No science, just works.

porky little keg

porky little keg

MuscleHead
May 21, 2011
There are dozens of different ideas on this...... some guys hit openers 2 weeks out and just go through the motions after that. Some guys try to hit openers a week out - this is usually too close but some guys are head cases and doubt will kill them if they don't..... Westside does a circa max 21 days out.

I usually hit my opener 2 weeks out then deload for the last 2 weeks.

When I deload, I'm talking about doing the main lifts at no more than 50% for a few singles. During the 6 week prep all my auxiliary work goes to super light reps - stuff I could do for 30+ reps I just do for 10-20 and shut it down. Just flushing blood through. I still go in on my normal days, just nothing remotely heavy.

There's a LOT of ways to peak for the meet going back anywhere from 4 to 12 weeks before the meet. Everyone has their system, but that's a whole different post.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
There are dozens of different ideas on this...... some guys hit openers 2 weeks out and just go through the motions after that. Some guys try to hit openers a week out - this is usually too close but some guys are head cases and doubt will kill them if they don't..... Westside does a circa max 21 days out.

I usually hit my opener 2 weeks out then deload for the last 2 weeks.

When I deload, I'm talking about doing the main lifts at no more than 50% for a few singles. During the 6 week prep all my auxiliary work goes to super light reps - stuff I could do for 30+ reps I just do for 10-20 and shut it down. Just flushing blood through. I still go in on my normal days, just nothing remotely heavy.

There's a LOT of ways to peak for the meet going back anywhere from 4 to 12 weeks before the meet. Everyone has their system, but that's a whole different post.
Would you say that females tend to keep the weights higher closer to the meet than males typically do?

Turbolag

Turbolag

TID's Official Donut Tester
Oct 14, 2012
Porky, both times I hit my openers a week out. I realized after the second meet that I don't recover fast enough to do that.

I think if I do compete again, I'll just set my program up to where meet day is my test day.

So the week before the meet would be about 80%, and then into the meet.

Thats just an idea though.

DieYoungStrong

DieYoungStrong

VIP Member
May 27, 2013
I like to hit my last heavy pull 3 weeks out and squat and bench openers 2 weeks out. Light groove work on Monday and Tuesday of meet week (squat and pull 135 3x3, bench 95 3x3), then the rest of the week off.

FLEXjs

FLEXjs

MuscleHead
Apr 23, 2012
Some guys try to hit openers a week out - this is usually too close but some guys are head cases and doubt will kill them if they don't......

Head case checking in. LOL.

Well, found out Monday I have to go out of town next M-F for business. FML. That gives me one week to train when I get back, then a week off before my meet.

NOT HAPPY.

I hope this company appreciates what I do for them...

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic