Members
Latest Member
Ethan7400

Laptops

S

searay

VIP Member
Dec 20, 2017
My Asus, don't know the specs, but it was on close out about 5-10 yrs ago. The repair guy seemed to think I got a hell of a deal at $750. The laptop started to shut off and turn on back to where I was. I brought it in to staples and they thought it just needed an update on ???. It worked for about a week and then shut down for good. Brought it back to staples and they said there was nothing more they could do, refunded my money, and told me my best bet was to send it to Asus. So now I've purchased another Asus with an I5 processor, 8+258 memory, touch screen, from amaZon for $799 new. As you can see I ain't no computer genius. What do you computer geeks think of my laptop travels?

Lizard King

Lizard King

Administrator
Staff Member
Sep 9, 2010
If you got 10 years out of your last laptop I think you did pretty good. Not sure I would pay $800 for a new laptop, can get a pretty good Dell setup cheaper with more memory.

C

C T J

Crossfit VIP
Jan 24, 2013
Asus, Lenovo, Dell all pretty much the same. i5 8gb ram 256ssd is pretty standard these days. I paid $900 for Lenovo Yoga i5 16gb 256ssd a year ago.
I do most of my programming on a Mac though. I don't necessarily think it's better than PC (2x the cost of PC) but it's better suited for programming.

gunslinger

gunslinger

VIP Member
Sep 19, 2010
I ran a computer repair shop for about 15 years. I'd go MacBook Pro if money is not a problem its the best thing you can get. i5 or i7 with 16 GB memory and a 1TB SSD. If you have very basic computer needs a MacBook Air i5 with 8GB and a 250GB SSD would be about perfect and can be had on the used market for cheap. Id also recommend factory refurb to save a few hundred $$$. If you simply must have a PC go with a Lenovo thinkpad with similar specs and when you get it whip it and install Linux Mint. Both will be far better choices than a Windows based PC assuming you don't need any Windows only software.

S

searay

VIP Member
Dec 20, 2017
Thanks guys. The asus is on its way. At 58 yrs old changing to a Mac would not be worth the hassle of learning a new type of computer. Especially since I've been on windows based since day 1 and my computer skills are avg at best. I did consider a refurb but the savings just wasn't enough for the potential problems I've had in the past and keep hearing about from friends. When I was in line at staples some guy in front of me had just got a refurb and was already having all kinds of problems. My tren based attitude doesn't do well when my computer has problems

DungeonDweller

DungeonDweller

VIP Member
Mar 21, 2017
Its easier switching to a Mac than the other way around; they are pretty intuitive. But still, good choice.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic