Latest Member
Rolanalon
What's New?

Knees Make Popping Noise During Squats?

MissMonsterr

MissMonsterr

TID Lady Member
Apr 9, 2015
If there's no pain I personally wouldn't worry, just keep an awareness of it!
My knees pop the first rep or two of every.single.set(!) on deads and squats. Always have. It might be because you went narrower recently, when I do wider stances for squats it goes away and generally just feels easier on the knees.

Bonehard

Bonehard

Sep 14, 2013
Human beings haven't been walking upright long enough for our knees to catch up..it's also why we have so many back problems...we might as well still be swinging from trees

Zomb131

Zomb131

MuscleHead
Jan 31, 2011
That video has interesting stuff in it. Don't agree with foot positioning when squatting/training, but those stretches are good, foam rolling, and using that ball to break up scar tissue.

Never heard of a patella pouch he talks about. There's a patella bursa behind the quad tendon.

Popping is typically associated with trapped gasses being released. Constant crackling and popping, i'd say is due to structural instability. It comes with the training we do. For myself, my vastus medialis is extremely over developed. It's from the way I walk and my foot positioning when I train. I constantly hear crackling and popping in my knees when I walk up stairs. Just nature of the beast.

Human beings haven't been walking upright long enough for our knees to catch up..it's also why we have so many back problems...we might as well still be swinging from trees

Wow...genius.

Turbolag

Turbolag

TID's Official Donut Tester
Oct 14, 2012
That video has interesting stuff in it. Don't agree with foot positioning when squatting/training, but those stretches are good, foam rolling, and using that ball to break up scar tissue.

Never heard of a patella pouch he talks about. There's a patella bursa behind the quad tendon.

Popping is typically associated with trapped gasses being released. Constant crackling and popping, i'd say is due to structural instability. It comes with the training we do. For myself, my vastus medialis is extremely over developed. It's from the way I walk and my foot positioning when I train. I constantly hear crackling and popping in my knees when I walk up stairs. Just nature of the beast.

Thank you for the reply. I tried the rolling technique today for the knee. I need to get a ball instead of foam roller though. It didn't work great. I also tried putting the towel behind my knee and bending my knee in.

My knees seemed to crack and pop less today.

When you say structural instability, what do you mean by that? Is there a way to correct this?

Thanks!

Turbolag

Turbolag

TID's Official Donut Tester
Oct 14, 2012
If there's no pain I personally wouldn't worry, just keep an awareness of it!
My knees pop the first rep or two of every.single.set(!) on deads and squats. Always have. It might be because you went narrower recently, when I do wider stances for squats it goes away and generally just feels easier on the knees.

Thanks MM. I definitely noticed it when I moved my stance in. I guess this is from more knee flexion?

WD40.... problem solved.

This man is a genius.

Zomb131

Zomb131

MuscleHead
Jan 31, 2011
Thank you for the reply. I tried the rolling technique today for the knee. I need to get a ball instead of foam roller though. It didn't work great. I also tried putting the towel behind my knee and bending my knee in.

My knees seemed to crack and pop less today.

When you say structural instability, what do you mean by that? Is there a way to correct this?

Thanks!

Meaning the surrounding muscles in the area are stronger/weaker than others.

My vastus medialis(VM) is overly developed. Because of this, it causes it to pull on structures around the knee more than your vastus lateralis, rectus femoris, etc. This imbalance will make the crackling and popping noise when stress is on the muscles/area. I said walking up stairs I can hear all the noise. It's when I push off the step. The quad muscles contract and any over/under development can cause the crackling to happen. I have yet to hear a professional say that this is a bad thing since there is NO pain associated with it. Just sounds bad.

Same with my shoulder. I don't have a transverse ligament on my humerus. It tore long ago. That ligament's function is to hold the bicep brachii tendon in place. Since mine is gone, I hear a huge CRACK when I abduct (raise my arm laterally) my arm. It always always makes my chiropractor cringe, but there's no pain, it's just the tendon sliding over the humeral groove.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic