Threads
Members
Latest Member
Rolanalon
What's New?

knee wraps

VIP Member
Nov 3, 2012
Is there a proper technique to wrapping these?

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
I can tell you how I do it. Starting at the small boney protrusion just under the knee I wrap outwards, covering half the wrap and make my way up to about 1.5 wraps above the knee then cross over the knee going down then cross over going up. Then tuck the wrap and done.

If you can pretension the wrap before you do it that will help when wrapping yourself. You really wanna ratchet them down. You can either buy the tool to pretension like we have or just step on one end and pull while rolling.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
There's many different ways to wrap your knees. You'll want to find out which way works best for you..... inward or outward, starting at the bottom or top, wrap straight up and be done or criss cross, etc....

The only thing that should always be the same is that your wrap should be tight... I mean tighter than you can wrap yourself b/c you can't wrap yourself tight enough. Yes, it's going to be painful and you'll want to work your way up to a 100%. A 100% wrap doesn't tickle and you'll want them off as soon as you complete the rep but that's how you get the most out of your wrap.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
There's many different ways to wrap your knees. You'll want to find out which way works best for you..... inward or outward, starting at the bottom or top, wrap straight up and be done or criss cross, etc....

The only thing that should always be the same is that your wrap should be tight... I mean tighter than you can wrap yourself b/c you can't wrap yourself tight enough. Yes, it's going to be painful and you'll want to work your way up to a 100%. A 100% wrap doesn't tickle and you'll want them off as soon as you complete the rep but that's how you get the most out of your wrap.

I am just starting to get used to it now. Been using them more in my meet prep. One thing we do is instead of pulling the strap thru at the end we fold the end over and tuck the folded but under with the very end of the wrap poking out. "Quick release" essentially. One small pull on the end and it comes undone. No more fighting to get it off or heaven forbid breaking a nail.

Gstacker

Gstacker

MuscleHead
Aug 19, 2011
I just got some inzers red an black ones but I think I screwed up by getting the 2.0 and not 2.5
i wrapped one knee then squatted down to see how it felt and took it off and haven't tried them since lol...

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
I am just starting to get used to it now. Been using them more in my meet prep. One thing we do is instead of pulling the strap thru at the end we fold the end over and tuck the folded but under with the very end of the wrap poking out. "Quick release" essentially. One small pull on the end and it comes undone. No more fighting to get it off or heaven forbid breaking a nail.

What we do is take a strap and through it so when I'm done I just pull the strap and off the wrap goes. We also use my Oly straps so it's not long and in the way.

I'll have to get used to being wrapped since I haven't had someone wrap me since Jan. which is why I call my wraps toilet paper wraps b/c I can't wrap myself tight enough. I'm looking forward to having a 100% wrap on me again but we all know I'm a bit of a masochist.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
I just got some inzers red an black ones but I think I screwed up by getting the 2.0 and not 2.5
i wrapped one knee then squatted down to see how it felt and took it off and haven't tried them since lol...

And the crazy thing is.... that wasn't even a tight wrap. I would also agree that 2.5m is better than 2m and just about every fed allows 2.5 unless you're thinking about USAPL.

StrongLyfe

StrongLyfe

Mr. Worxx
Aug 25, 2012
Great informative thread but what about sleeves? Are these just as good as wraps and what considerations for using knee sleeves?

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Great informative thread but what about sleeves? Are these just as good as wraps and what considerations for using knee sleeves?

Sleeves are good but they don't provide as much support as wraps. I do believe in using sleeves and only using wraps on my heaviest sets. There are basically 2 kinds of sleeves; neoprene and single/double ply sleeves. Neoprene will help heat up the joint but it isn't as tight/supportive as the single ply. The single ply won't heat the joint which is why so many, myself included, put a topical analgesic on the knee (under the sleeve). The double ply sleeves is very supportive... it's not as much as a wrap but it's the closest without wrapping the joint. Double ply sleeves aren't easily worn in between each set unlike neoprene and single ply.

You have neoprene sleeves like tommy kono, vulkan, rheband, titan, etc. The blue rhebands imho is the best out of the neoprene (it's a 7mm sleeve). The titan sleeve is supposed to be very similar but I haven't tried it.

Single ply you have elitefts heavy, inzer knee sleeve (which has the 3 straps).

Double ply you have elitefts super heavy, convict double ply, etc..

VIP Member
Nov 3, 2012
Thanks BI, your a well of knowledge!

StrongLyfe

StrongLyfe

Mr. Worxx
Aug 25, 2012
Sleeves are good but they don't provide as much support as wraps. I do believe in using sleeves and only using wraps on my heaviest sets. There are basically 2 kinds of sleeves; neoprene and single/double ply sleeves. Neoprene will help heat up the joint but it isn't as tight/supportive as the single ply. The single ply won't heat the joint which is why so many, myself included, put a topical analgesic on the knee (under the sleeve). The double ply sleeves is very supportive... it's not as much as a wrap but it's the closest without wrapping the joint. Double ply sleeves aren't easily worn in between each set unlike neoprene and single ply.

You have neoprene sleeves like tommy kono, vulkan, rheband, titan, etc. The blue rhebands imho is the best out of the neoprene (it's a 7mm sleeve). The titan sleeve is supposed to be very similar but I haven't tried it.

Single ply you have elitefts heavy, inzer knee sleeve (which has the 3 straps).

Double ply you have elitefts super heavy, convict double ply, etc..

Thanks for the input, so I will consider wraps but will keep some sleeves handy.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic