Members
Latest Member
pbtom

Knee Wraps and Wrapping - Frederick Hatfield

mugzy

mugzy

TID Board Of Directors
Aug 11, 2010
There are two theories behind manufacturing knee wraps. The most prevalent theory is that a heavily elastic wrap is best,
which I don't agree with because too much fabric behind the knees of smaller guys screws up their knees. With this kind of wrap,
you must get 'em on as tight as possible.

Stretch 'em as close to the limit of elasticity as you can because the moment you begin squatting, the wraps "give."
At that point, they become less than supportive despite how tight they feel.

The second theory (which I ascribe to) is that the wrap must stretch out to as long a length as possible (at least 20 feet).

That means that whatever elastic you use in them, they nonetheless must shrink to a legal 2 meter length.

Getting the wrap around your knees as many times as possible has an obvious advantage.

More support means more poundage in the squat. With less elastic, you are able to get them on REALLY tight without having to worry about the elastic stretching when the act of squatting stretches them. When standing, they may feel less tight than highly elastic wraps,
but the moment you begin squatting they do not give and thus support you more. On top of that, for you lifters who like to put your own knee wraps on before lifting (as did I), you won't wear yourself out putting this kind of wrap on nearly as much as you would with the highly elastic ones.

Your choice of the wrap you use is important. Here's how to judge... The heavier the wrap (weigh it on a small food scale) the better. Usually that means that there's more material (and thus more support). Also, the rules allow the wrap to be 2 meters in length...measure it! Always use NEW wraps in competition, as they stretch longer than the allowable limit after use, and you'll have to cut them (that means less material and less support). Now stretch the wrap to it's full length and measure it. A good wrap will stretch close to 20 feet...bad wraps only stretch about 12-14 feet. The myth is that you need real strong elasticity. NONSENSE! You need FABRIC! NOT rubber! In the hole, fabric will give you support, whereas rubber will give.

Here's the best way to put on a wrap, regardless of which you own...
Start at the top, 2-3 times around the quadriceps tendon (pinning that tendon to the underlying bone, thereby improving leverage). Criss-cross the knee 3-5 times (depending on the size of your knees), so as to avoid getting too much fabric behind the knee joint, and also to provide greater support when descending. Then do a couple at the bottom to pin the wraps in place, and end up at the top with about 5 inches of wrap left. Tuck the excess under the first layer of wraps above the knee, as this will give the illusion of a deeper squat when viewed from the side. Leave a piece of the end sticking out so that the wrap can be released after squatting with a mere flick. Be sure to chalk the wraps well...impregnate a lot of chalk dust into the wraps beforehand to minimize fabric slippage and thereby maximizing the wrap's support.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Great info Admin thanks!

MightyMouse719

MightyMouse719

National Champion & VIP Member
Jul 8, 2011
Very useful info, Admin, thank you for posting it. I always wrap my own knees, and a few small tweaks gained from this article will be helpful to my squat IMO.

HisAngriness

HisAngriness

Fancypants VIP
Mar 23, 2011
when i first started wrapping my knees i used to just stretch and unroll the wraps starting at the quad and working my way down. once i learned to use this criss-cross or X-pattern i found i got a LOT more support outta them. i see guys at the gym just doing this lazy "unroll" wrap all the time, and i know guys that will swear by it but nothing compares to the support an X-pattern will give you

jandj0821

jandj0821

VIP Member
Jul 7, 2011
I can say one thing. Had i not had my knees wrapped in february I would of broke my leg in half. Yeah I still screwed up a lot but they saved me somewhat.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
I'm still working on how to wrap my knees. I do it a lil different in that I don't criss cross my wraps but perhaps in time I'll give that a try. Right now I wrap 2x at top, than once below, and than back again at the top, again at the bottom, in the middle, and finally back up to the top. I feel it helps give me a good bounce (pop) out of the hole. I'm also still using a loose wrap. I don't know how yall are able to use a "true" tight wrap. That shit is more painful than someone digging out organs with a plastic spoon.

Crazy to see this post above.....

I've completely changed my wrapping technique and knee wrap (now use Titan THP's). I start right below the knee wrapping "out". I work my way up and than back down. The THP's are thicker than the Titaniums (my old wraps) and give a more stable feeling when walking out heavy weights. They give a cast like feel and also provide a good amount of rebound.

Last edited:
MightyMouse719

MightyMouse719

National Champion & VIP Member
Jul 8, 2011
I wrap my knees as tight as I can stand it on PR attempts. It fackin hurts, but it makes me lift with SPEED! LOL! Can't wait to get the wraps off!

HisAngriness

HisAngriness

Fancypants VIP
Mar 23, 2011
I wrap my knees as tight as I can stand it on PR attempts. It fackin hurts, but it makes me lift with SPEED! LOL! Can't wait to get the wraps off!

hell yea!
i was taught that if it doesnt feel like its cutting off circulation then its not tight enough. lol

porky little keg

porky little keg

MuscleHead
May 21, 2011
Very thorough..... great post.

SFGiants

SFGiants

MuscleHead
Apr 20, 2011
I disagree as we use wraps not for support in competition but for the slight pop it gives in the whole, we don't wear them much at all training.

So I would agree on support but I want pop and that is with the highly stretched ones IMO and the Inzer True Blacks are a great choice.

The highly stretched ones do not give in the hole if wrapped proper.

Properly wrapped = purple legs, bruised legs, maybe even bloody legs and crapped calves.

Properly wrapped wraps feel horrible and walking is a chore lol.

We use reverse doubled monster minis to mimic the pop wraps give in the whole weeks out from a meet.

So pop from wraps and suit = fast out of the hole.

porky little keg

porky little keg

MuscleHead
May 21, 2011
It took me a minute to put 2+2 together here..... this is the same Fred Hatfield who first squatted 1000#, right?

I like that here he is giving advice on getting the most out of knee wraps, but a few months back in PLUSA he went on a rant about how gear is destroying the sport...... I mean, his wraps and squat suit were okay, but mine is sick and wrong......

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic