Latest Member
lk has no balls
What's New?

Keto/os Pruvit testing log

macgyver

macgyver

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 24, 2011
Ketone Maven has agreed to send me some samples of their new product Keto/os.

See thread:
https://www.theironden.com/forum/threads/23958-Ketosis-in-an-hour!!!-Yes!

Basically it is product that gets ketones into your blood within 60 min which they claim will give a considerable energy boost and mental clarity/boost. Normally, it takes 3-4 days of hard carb restriction to start switching over to ketosis. (those that are familiar with KETO diets). I have spent more than 2 years in the past on KETO and am very familiar with it. I responded best to CKD.

My current diet is all part of my goals of maintaining sub 10% bf while being strong.

Current stats:
Early 40's
5'9 201 and well under 10%BF

Deadlift Mid 600's
Squat Mid 500's
Bench Low 400's.

I am neither bodybuilder nor powerlifter, but I enjoy parts of both. I have competed in powerlifting in the past, but have realized that my goals are not that of strength only. So I am forever in search of that balance of being strong, and looking like I want to look.

My current diet puts me fairly carb restricted. I carb cycle and my low days are 125-150. My "High" days run 200-250. This has worked very well for me staying lean and yet allowing me to eat a little more well rounded. My biggest issue with lower carbs is my body does not like it. (unless I go full keto). Being on the cusp of it leaves me feeling flat and worn out. Energy is a real issue for me, and the last few months are a grind almost every workout.

I am looking to give an honest review of the product and over the next few days will formulate a plan so I can evaluate it in as unbiased way as possible. (giving it the best opportunity to show what it can do).

I will update.

Thanks to Ketone Maven for making this happen!

T

The Ketone Maven

Sep 4, 2015
I am excited to see what you think!!

macgyver

macgyver

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 24, 2011
Wanted to thank KM for getting me out the pack so quick.

He was kind enough to send 10 samples. (which should give me a good basis to evaluate.

I had an 'off' weekend diet wise with a lot of running the kids around to events..etc. I am going to take a few days to get back straightened out and then start trying this out mid week. This works good as my Thurs and Friday workouts are usually drags as I am sapped as the week goes on.

I will report as best I can what I feel/experience. Being a fairly consistent guy with both my training and eating, I feel that if works, I should be able to tell.

Was almost going to see if I could do a blind test where I mix it up along with some just the whatever flavored liquid it blends well with....and then just some with liquid only. (not sure if you can taste it over the liquid yet). Then label and conceal them. Then only at the end of the day (after I note how I felt) check to see if I took the actual product or not. Not sure yet whether there is a liquid that will mask flavor well enough to make that work yet......?

Will update for sure!

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Even if you attempted to do it blind you would still need a control.

I am subbed.

macgyver

macgyver

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 24, 2011
Hey all..... Just wanted to get rolling on this. Took last week to get everything back on track. As I said, I am not doing keto, but been maintaining a fairly lean state by keeping carbs fairly low (to accomplish my caloric goals). I have nothing against carbs....in fact, I love them! But with my current energy demands (fairly low as I sit in front of a computer most days) I just dont have room after I meet my protein and fat requirements.

I tried my first dose (split 1/2 this morning). Split in half under advisement of Ketone Maven. With MCT as a primary ingredient, I can see it might cause intestinal distress in some....but it has not been one for me in the past with MCT.

Powder is a fine white powder with citrus smell. I dissolved in 12oz of ice water. It mixed very well. Flavor is a very pleasant, almost creamsicle like. Very tasty. Makes for nice sipping drink. Heck....I really like the flavor enough, I would almost drink it for that!

I have a workout tonight and will take my 2nd half dose 1 hr before. Will post my thoughts and impressions as well after.

macgyver

macgyver

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 24, 2011
Just getting time to post my first update.

I have to admit, it was hard to tell and will take further testing. If I felt anything, it was subtle. I can say either I had a real good afternoon, or I had an elevated sense of well-being. Kind of that good all over feeling. As for energy.... again, subtle. I reminded me of when I would consume MCT oil as a pre-work.

Now, that gets pretty gross quickly, so I would pour the MCT in a shot glass. I added two drops of peppermint extract and a spoon of splenda. Now that made it easy to sip on. Tasted just like a candy cane and the texture no longer gave me the dry heaves. (I have drank enough shot glasses of oil in my days that I just cant stand it any more)

Back to the energy part. I will have to evaluate over the next few days, but like I said, it was subtle and hard to say definitively.

This next time, I am going to take the full dose 1hr prior to workout.

macgyver

macgyver

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 24, 2011
OK. So tonight I was dragging before going to the gym. Actually took a little nap and upon waking, still felt tired as hell.

I mixed and drank one full serving prior to working out.

Again....quite a subtle experience. Nothing dramatic. Surly not like a stim. But I did manage a decent workout. Not a "tear this place apart" workout, but a solid one.

Boy I am having a hard time telling exactly how this is affecting me. I think I had a boost of 'well being' feeling again.

Part of me wonders if I would need to be in full blown keto to feel this...... I am off tomorrow and have legs on Thurs so I will test again.

Initial thoughts after two workouts is....maybe...but subtle. BUT if I were totally depleted, this might be a good boost. Too early to say. If there are effects, they dont hit you over the head. (when you have enough carbs available) But when in the worst part of a KETO slump.....just becoming normalized for a bit would feel like a great boost. I will continue to provide my thoughts.

Appreciate the opportunity to try this and just trying to be as unbiased as I can be.

sityslicker1

sityslicker1

TID Board Of Directors
Oct 6, 2010
Great review so far. Thanks.

macgyver

macgyver

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 24, 2011
Any updates to share macgyver?

Been a busy week. Continued running products several more days. Will update this weekend in between soccer and ballet ;)

macgyver

macgyver

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 24, 2011
OK....back to update. Sorry....busy week, but it did not impact my workouts nor diet.

Took four doses this week on my workout days. When I was first taking them, I was splitting the dose 1/2 in the am and 1/2 before workout. KetoneMaven said that it can cause some intestinal discomfort taking it all at once. I had experimented with taking a full dose last week with no ill effects so I did all my doses in this manner.

I wanted so much to "feel" this product, but I cant really say for sure I got anything great from it. The first four doses, I decided to completely stay away from any other stims (coffee, pre-workouts...etc). The second half of the week, I ingested additional caffeine with as I would normally take pre-wo. (the product itself has about 100mg caffeine IIRC)

I did several of the times get a good "well being" feeling. Kinda like PEA give you. That feeling that like you feel when the sun is shining and a song you love comes on..... Other than that, I can not truly say I noticed much of any difference.

The "energy" during the workout, I cant say was any more than I have experienced by supplementing MCT oil on lower carb days pre-wo. The first ingredient is MCT, so maybe that is where I am feeling the similarities. Also....the feeling is so subtle, that it could also be placebo..... (just knowing it has MCT in it may be making me feel this way).

All in all, I appreciate the opportunity to do this, but I am left with what my original thought was..... I am thinking this product would be most beneficial to a guy running a full blown KETO diet. I think this would be AWESOME for the first week of transition. But not only that, those days where you just cant seem to light a spark, I am thinking the extra boost this give would feel much more dramatic (when one is carb restricted).

I have to hand it Ketone Maven for stepping up and allowing me to do this. I am left to think that this still might be a great product FOR THE RIGHT APPLICATION. I do understand from a business model that they want to appeal to the largest commercial audience possible. (People on ketogenic diets are not exactly main stream.) BUT....it is foolish to rule out some of the positive studies on ketones effect on certain metabolic conditions or illnesses. This product may not be the best "Pre-workout" out there....nor may it be the best energy booster, heck....some of the best uses for this product may have NOTHING to do with working out at all. I obviously can not rule out the possible benefits from ketone supplementation for individuals who are not on a ketogenic diet. While our use of supplements as "bodybuilders" is generally limited to things that will help in our performance and recovery, this may be more of a general overall health promoting product. As such, I dont want to rule out it's possible effectiveness in that area.

With that in mind, the cost of this product becomes the next concern. I can say if it were cheaper, I might take it more just to experiment with it over time. But at it's current price point, it is a little hard to justify. Now if I was diagnosed with a medical condition that ketones have been shown to hold promise in initial studies....heck yea, I would use it!

Wrapping up....

This as a product for bodybuilding I might revisit if I ever were to go back on a Keto diet. (both for initial transition and as a supplemental energy boost) I would also consider trying it on an extended contest prep regimen. However, not being committed to a full Keto diet, it is hard for me to justify the use of this. If it were cheaper (say in line with some higher end preworkouts) I might take it just for the hell of it, but at it's current price point, it would be hard for me to justify.

I truly appreciate the opportunity to try this out and did the best I could to take an honest look at the product.

Last edited:
Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic